Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on this koi food, please.

Post Thanks / Like

Opinions on this koi food, please.

Any thoughts on this formula?

http://www.newtcity.com/userimages/Y...ectFormula.doc

Also, does anyone know how to 'paste' something to a thread here?

Newt

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the ingredients are from appropriate sources. I do not see much of a "green veggie" ingredient... nothing stands out as providing any color enhancement. (Which may or may not be what someone wants.) Don't know about aspergillus being used. Beta Glucan is used in the Azoo brand pellets inported from Taiwan. About all I can contribute to the subject.

Post Thanks / Like
    This Spring & Fall Blend has the same exact ingredient listing and analysis as UltraClear brand Spring & Fall Formula and Chengro Spring & Fall. It’s interesting to note that UltraClear has the following “Retail Pledge”

UltraClear Retail Products

[img]aoladp://MA11107819-0001/image002.jpg[/img]

Our Retail Pledge!

We only sell through independent retailers. We don't sell to Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Home Depot. We don't sell directly to the consumer.

These products are distributed through retail garden centers, water garden centers, professional landscapers, nurseries, pet stores, hardware stores, general stores and other independent retail merchants.

It’s also interesting to note that a company that specializes in bacteria based products for the wastewater industry has become experts in koi nutrition. There is some irony here.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Nancy

Thanks, Nancy, for taking a look at this. I can't find, though, that the ingredients are 'exactly the same' as the other two feeds you mention. I'd be interested in seeing the formulas you're talking about, as the ones I find have quite a few differences.

Maybe Chengro is milling more than one recipe?

What is your opinion of the feed I posted? Good, fair, poor? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Newt

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Newt
    Here is your attachement. I am not sure if Chengro is milling other formulas. This is the formulas for the fall & spring blend.

What is your opinion of the feed I posted? Good, fair, poor? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Newt

I have not tried it, nor would I.

Premium Select Formula
    Floating Koi Food

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein, min. 40.00 %

Crude Fat, min. 6.00 %

Crude Fiber, max. 4.00 %

Moisture, max. 10.00 %

Ingredients:

WhiteFish Meal, Krill Meal, Shrimp Meal, Rice Bran, Brown Rice, Wheat Germ, Durum Wheat, Alfalfa Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Beta Glucan, Fish Oil, Salt, Vitamin E, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), Calcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Iron Proteinate , Garlic, Choline Chloride, Inositol, Aspergillus Niger, Aspergillus Oryzae, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Biotin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol (Vitamin K), Vitamin A, Acetate, Copper Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

PREMIUM SELECT is a complete floating fish food for growing SHOW QUALITY and Pond Fish. Our unique Immune Beta Glucan added vitamins, chelated minerals, and natural color intensifiers Our SUPER FOOD contains the highest quality natural ingredients

Manufactured in the USA

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using this now, as a mix in. My pond is mostly tosai and nisai. All the Chengro products are milled the same, they apparently changed some formations earlier in the year which is why you may be seeing different ingredients from outdated sources. Ingredient list looks impressive. Many makes use the practice of "ingredient splitting" to make formuations look better. This is usually done with wheet, sometimes with corn to make it slide furter down the list. I don't know much about the techy food stuff, but maybe 4th and 5th ingredient, Brown Rice and Rice Bran if combined may really be 1st rated ingredient. Same with Wheat Germ and Durum Wheat (5th-6th). That may not be the reason though, I have no idea. This is done on many feeds. Made in the USA is better IMHO, rather have something fresh than something that has been on a boat for 6 months comming over here. Some of the foreign foods are milled here as well though. Quality of ingredients is never discussed, not sure if it matters but I would assume all fish meal is the same quality as fish meal in other products? The food represends a good value, for as low as $2.50 per pound in bulk, I think its a good deal at least. My koi got there first serving yesterday of it. I use basic 32% wheat germ as a base throughout the year.

Ryan S.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Nanc...

I can't find that formula on their site for some reason...I was looking for that.

You say you wouldn't try it...any reason 'why?'

Newt

Post Thanks / Like
    Ingredients:

WhiteFish Meal, Krill Meal, Shrimp Meal, Rice Bran, Brown Rice, Wheat Germ, Durum Wheat, Alfalfa Meal, Brewers Dried Yeast, Beta Glucan, Fish Oil, Salt, Vitamin E, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), Calcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, Iron Proteinate , Garlic, Choline Chloride, Inositol, Aspergillus Niger, Aspergillus Oryzae, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Biotin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol (Vitamin K), Vitamin A, Acetate, Copper Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.

There is alot of big words in the ingredients: Now is there a break down in which, what part does for the fish? Seems there are alot of preservitives in this mix...
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    There is alot of big words in the ingredients: Now is there a break down in which, what part does for the fish? Seems there are alot of preservitives in this mix...
    You are correct - guess it could be like some other foods and just put vague ingredients? Or do they put on there food a breakdown of each ingredient on most feed? Do they not use any preservatives? Or simply just not list them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim C
    You are correct - guess it could be like some other foods and just put vague ingredients? Or do they put on there food a breakdown of each ingredient on most feed? Do they not use any preservatives? Or simply just not list them?
    Everyone is talking about freshness....now for the feed to last that long on a boat there has to be preservatives....Everything has preservatives...you have to be in complete denial if people think there aren't....Now most of the listed ingredients are so scientific you got to be the food maker to understand it....Now how much of us need this reassurance of big words? Maybe be some of us.

Now my Question is this out of all the big name competitive hobbyist out there I want to know if they use "American Koi Food"...If I handed Duke Nguyen a bag of other than "Japanese Koi Food" he'll probably laugh....
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast