Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Expectations from breeders and bloodline.

Post Thanks / Like

Expectations from breeders and bloodline.

How many of us buy koi on the mere name alone? I think many of us have...Now with that said how many of us have bought with high expectations of the fish knowing it is from a name brand breeder?

Now are we buying on the "Snob appeal" or we smart enough to understand the breeder and bloodline. Food for thought.....
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tonio,
    I think you said it yourself, just because a fish is bought from a certain Breeder, it doesn't always mean it was bred by that person. How can you be sure Sensei?
    Koi-Unit
    " Da Best" Chapter
    xxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Antonio

"Snob Appeal" are you a koi snob? Not me . We buy cause we like it. I do care about the breeder, but it is not the reason to buy a Koi. Just because a certain name brand breeder, has a koi for sale does not mean it is a true piece of art. Bloodline, sex, pattern, confirmation, Hi, Shiro,Sumi, etc.. all are the deciding factors when we purchase a koi. Never buy just for a name.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    How many of us buy koi on the mere name alone? I think many of us have...Now with that said how many of us have bought with high expectations of the fish knowing it is from a name brand breeder?

Now are we buying on the "Snob appeal" or we smart enough to understand the breeder and bloodline. Food for thought.....

Post Thanks / Like
    If you really understand a breeders bloodline, there is value in selecting a koi you can anticpate potential or development with.

ULTIMATELY YOU HAVE TO LEARN TO BE ABLE TO PICK OUT A GOOD KOI IRREGARDLESS OF WHO BRED IT!

Ocassionally when a breeder looses a crop, they will switch with another breeder some of their say best sankes for a direct swap for same class kohakus. You would never know it, but the two breeders know it's imporatant for both's reputations to have given each other excellent fish for customers to develop and fill their expectations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Akinosan
    Tonio,
    I think you said it yourself, just because a fish is bought from a certain Breeder, it doesn't always mean it was bred by that person. How can you be sure Sensei?
    Sensei? Damn...I buy because I likes it!!!(Mizzou talk) Well anyways, some people are under the impression that if they bought from this particular breeder they would have something fantastic....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M.
    Oh Antonio

"Snob Appeal" are you a koi snob? Not me . We buy cause we like it. I do care about the breeder, but it is not the reason to buy a Koi. Just because a certain name brand breeder, has a koi for sale does not mean it is a true piece of art. Bloodline, sex, pattern, confirmation, Hi, Shiro,Sumi, etc.. all are the deciding factors when we purchase a koi. Never buy just for a name.
    "Koi Snob"? Not mees(Mizzou talk) I am with you Nancy, I buy because I like it not because Tom, Dick and Hank said this breeder is the bomb....That thing doesn't work for me anymore....I am no longer a rookie so to speak...

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Antonio

Second motion to this Nancy - But if you have a choice to buy one of the two quality kois, one from Momotaro and other from Ogata etc..., which one you will select?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dinh
    Second motion to this Nancy - But if you have a choice to buy one of the two quality kois, one from Momotaro and other from Ogata etc..., which one you will select?
    Sorry to say but I would pick OGATA, had lots of luck with all his babies...
    I know most would pick a momotaro, but I think that is because of the name. That is why we must get pass the name and look at each fish and judge the fish on its own merits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aquitori
    "Koi Snob"? Not mees(Mizzou talk) I am with you Nancy, I buy because I like it not because Tom, Dick and Hank said this breeder is the bomb....That thing doesn't work for me anymore....I am no longer a rookie so to speak...

Ah Antonio you are no longer a novice.. I am glad to hear that. You are way above the novice class. You are one who should be very proud of your accomplishments in the Koi hobby. Knowledge is the key to all...

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to say but I would pick OGATA, had lots of luck with all his babies...
    I know most would pick a momotaro, but I think that is because of the name. That is why we must get pass the name and look at each fish and judge the fish on its own merits.
    I like this;--) three years ago I made the same decision. Picked an Ogata over Momotaro for two kois that almost same qaulity to me. Happily with the choice I made. But the reason for it at that time because I paid only 1/2 price for the Ogata;-))

P.S. Nancy, I like many of your and Frank kois;-))

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast