Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RO Systems

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like

RO Systems

I'm looking for a good RO System that is capable of puting out 100 gpd. My current setup will allowfor the mains water to pass through a large carbon filter and a standard water softener. I'm hoping with my prefiltration I can get away with just a basic unit.
    Does anyone here have any preferences or units that they have been using that they will recommend? Some of those units on ebay look very cheap and I am more than hesitant to purchase the cheapest unit available.
    Currently my plans are too let 100 gpd of RO water trickle into the pond and when doing maintenance switch over too just carbon filtered tap water which is very high in KH and GH. With a little tweaking I should be able to get the balance I am looking for.
    Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I have a GE Merlin which does about 700gpd.
    It cost about $400. I got it on ebay, too.

Solid unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    When getting a reverse osmosis unit, check for the volume of waste created per gallon of RO water. A friend has expressed frustration with the amount of water being wasted. A person may need to think about uses for the waste water to make it practical in their situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

They all waste a lot of water. So if you are willing to use one, don't be discouraged

The more efficient the unit is at filtering out stuffs, the more water it will waste.

After doing some research, I found the GE Merlin to be a good fit for pond. Gpd is good and doesn't filter out EVERYTHING (TDS is about 20)

Good luck!

Fry
    Post Thanks / Like
    RO systems usually waste 2 gallons for every 1 gallon of good water. So it is a 2:1 ratio.

Post Thanks / Like
    there are many good units out there that will do the job. With your water being prefiltered you'll be slower to replace cartridges and you'll have better return.
    I take my waste volumn and water my bonsai and garden plants with it. Kind of the mentality of those who put 55 gal barrels to gather rain from the gutters.
    Just be sure and check your mix so nothing changes. My unit has a TDS unit to measure before and after. I found it also on Ebay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff guys keep it coming as i am looking at getting an RO unit very soon.Dick i too will be keeping the waste to water my garden and plants as i am on a meter Gazza
    Regards

Gazza

Post Thanks / Like
    hi guys

i love ro thread, i think the merlin is a brilliant piece of kit for its money here its not quite as cheap as what you paid for it koiloco. Is 700 US dollars? For about 900 AUD i can get this unit, produces between 1500L at 50psi and 2500L at 100psi.

this is a nice piecce of kit using 4 domestic membranes, flush valv, pressure gauges and in line tds monitor. its a 1 to 1 waste ratio.

you can use the waste for washing the car or hookup a mid size submersible and water the garden, bathe the dog. Lots

tewa

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all of the input.

I have seen the merlin unit at ebay and it lists a "rejection rate of 90-99%". This is the part I don't understand. I find it hard to believe that 90-99% of the water is rejected as waste. That just can't be possible or else no one would use it. I'm on metered water and it is expensive. Does anyone have any clarification regarding how much goes to waste besides Tewa. I have seen so many differing quantities from many different boards.
    As Dick says I'm also assuming prefiltration with carbon and a water softener will greatly decrease the amount of waste water produced?
    Tewa, the unit you are using looks like it has more prefiltration than the standard merlin I can buy here in the states. I wonder if that accounts for the discrepencies regarding waste.

Post Thanks / Like
    hey rob

The rejection rate you are talking about is what amount of solutes it rejects from water not the actual waste water ratio.

For eg if there is only 100ppm of salt in the water the merlin reckons it can take out between 90 to 99ppm.

i beleieve the merlin ration is 33% good water and 66% waste water. I think its wise to get a water report from your local water authority as, I heard that the merlin's prefilter gets blocked up via easily, when used here in western australia but we have rather dirty and bade water around 5 to 600ppm tds and there is plenty of sediment.

The dealer here easily hooked up other carbon filters that were more tolerant that the ones originally from GE.

The RO i posted has 2 sediment blocks followed by a carbon cartridge.

hope that helps

tewa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast