Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Chloramines

Post Thanks / Like

Chloramines

Do you have chloramines in your water?

I have been getting a lot of calls with people losing koi. This year they started added chloramines to our water. It is shocking how much ammonia is in the water now out of tap. I was just wondering how everyone treats the water with chloramines before adding it to the pond.

Tom

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I have chloramine in my water and haven't had too much of an issue. I rarely do large water changes though. I usually do something close to a constant trickel and flush my filters once a week to balance out the water level. When using that method, I don't use a binder or ST or anything. I only bring those out if I'm doing a water change of 20% or more.

-Dan

Tosai
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have started checking Cl levels of the tap water before I do water changes. Usually runs 2 to 3 ppm chlorine and 1 to 2 ammonia (from chloramine) . I had as problem with fish piping during a water change and tested pond and still had chlorine. Tested tap watrer and it was > 5ppm (max of my test kit). Contacted the city water department who said that was impossible , but sent a technician to test anyway. The technician got the same results as I did. Was a very nice guy ,and I do not think he was trying to fool me when he said that the levels should be impossible, as they cannot exceed 4 ppm chlorine at the source by law. At a loss as to why I was getting > 5ppm . Lesson- test CL level to use enough dechlorinator. I do not worry about the ammonia unless I'm doing > 20% water change, or unless my pH is running high. Ammonia toxicity increases with pH.
    Allen2909

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have chlorimines, which result in ~2.5PPM ammonia. Normally I would just ad Sodium Thiosulphate, resulting ammonia should be easy to handle with biofiltration. If water temps are above 85, or if water is its early in the season with an uncycled filters an ammonia binder should be used (like Chlor-Am-Ex). In the higher water temps biofiltration is less effective so this would give you some added protection.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    They switched us over to chloramine about 6 months ago. I have a large carbon filter for the whole house and with my testing equipment I can not detect ammonia, free chlorine, or total chlorine.

I remember when buying my unit, I said I was not all that worried about the ammonia since my filters would handle it. All I wanted was no chlorine.
    The salesman said"Why on earth would you want to drink water with ammonia in it?" Now if I only remembered what type of carbon they used.