Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: asagi fry

Fry
    Post Thanks / Like

asagi fry

Good morning, I am looking for unculled asagi fry. Is this a possibilty of obtaining or am I dreaming? I appreciate any assistance.
    Regards
    Hlobsta

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curious as to why? Location and how many?

Post Thanks / Like
    my first asagi culling is at 60 days. i'm not sure you will be able to find an unculled batch at this stage. But hopefully our vast network will find you some.
    If your in the states, there are two very good breeders available. Quality koi in New Jersey and blackwater Koi in Florida. being an asagi nut, I can recommend both to you for asagi. let us know where you are and what your wanting so we can better help! regards

Fry
    Post Thanks / Like

asagi fry

Hello, I am in Massachusetts. I am looking for fry for my own pond. I find it exiting to start with the unknown and seeing what develops, watching the transformation of the koi. I will look into the 2 breeders you recomend. Any more assistance will be appreciated.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blackwater has some knockout asagi parents that I think Suda brought in overwinter. A quasi-dealer friend brought back some, these were pulled from an early cull that he was helping with, otherwise fish of this size are not typically available from them. I added these to my pond the spring (April I think) at ~2.5" in size. Warm weather of FL allows them a little of head start. Selecting koi this young is risky and its hard to come by good koi at this size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dscf0060s.jpg 
Views:	431 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	2041   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dscf0061s.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	2042  

Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan,
    Drop me a line on the off line message board here.

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dispite the risks an advantage of getting them early is that I can usually put on much more size than at the breeder's facility. For those at Koi America last weekend, those ~3-5" Asagi in the tanks were likely from the same spawn, some will probably make it shows later this year where they will probably be up to 6-8" and be considered a typical sized tosai. The ones I was able to get early are pushing 13-14" now only a little more than halfway through there first growing season. Here is a pic from mid July of one, I'm terrable at pics and these are at the bottom of the pond. Picked this one b/c you can get some since of size, with the Goshiki 17-18" and Kin Kikokuryu 12" were just added to the pond the day this picture taken and are lined up close by. Imagine with the rest of the season, and heating overwinter an enterprising dealer could have some 20" jumbo tosai in the spring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dscf0017s.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	2043  

Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan, you've done a great job of putting growth on your koi. I certainly have enjoyed raising my little ones. ARE YOU DOING ANYTHING SPECIAL, that you could share with everyone interested?

Sansai
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its hard to see from the pics but I glued bacteria house media to the sides of the pond wall. Left the bottom liner. This way all the fish and water are being constantly bombarded with Far Infraed Rays. That way they grow like weeds and stay healthy all the time.

Ryan S.