Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Black Water Extract?

Fry
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Black Water Extract?

Hello All,
    Can anyone tell me if it's o.k to use Black Water Extract in my Koi lake?
    Yes, I have a small lake, I have over 30 Koi, Comets and assorted ciclids.
    Thanks,
    Jo-Ann
    West Palm Beach, Fl.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jo Ann,
    Welcome here and thanks for posting. I must confess i'd like to help and encourage you but I do not know what black water extract is or is purposed to do? Could you elaborate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity3ddt
    Hello All,
    Can anyone tell me if it's o.k to use Black Water Extract in my Koi lake?
    Yes, I have a small lake, I have over 30 Koi, Comets and assorted ciclids.
    Thanks,
    Jo-Ann
    West Palm Beach, Fl.
    Hi Jo-Ann
    Can you please tell us what is Black Water Extract? Would like to help, maybe if you elaborate we could be of some assistance to you.

Post Thanks / Like

jungle juice

It is dark amber in color, acidic decomposing organic matter with minerals like what you would find around you feet if you were knee deep in the Amazon river. I have seen it, tasted it, but I never thought about bringing it home. Sorry, have no idea on that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Kent Black Water Expert is designed for aquariums with live plants as it provides the iron and other minerals needed for lush green plants. It contains natural humic and tannic acids and simulates water conditions in natural tropical water created by soil, peat and decaying vegetation. Also encourages spawning and aids the hatching process.

Black Water Expert adds vitamins and natural extracts to simulate the native waters of the Amazon. Discus will feel less stressed if given proper water conditions. Their health and vitality will improve with use of Blackwater Expert.

I found this, I have no idea about this product maybe Dick can shed some light on this product.

Post Thanks / Like

2 cents

My guess would be, something like this is designed for smaller tanks and acid loving fish like angels, discus, tetras and the like which come out of acidic, tannic environments like the Amazon. The amount of this juice you would need for a lake or even a large pond would be enormous to make a dent in chemistry structure of water.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are several products of this sort designed to make the aquarist keeping Discus feel better about not doing 50% daily water changes or using 24/7 constant flow system. There is no reason to use something like this with koi. To the extent it might do some good in certain water conditions (or harm in others), it is really quite irrelevant in a lake or pond.

All water conditioners should be viewed as addictive drugs. Your fish need stable water. They can adjust to less than ideal water but cannot adjust to constant fluctuations. Once use of a water conditioner is begun, it cannot be stopped. And, there has to be a means developed to dose during water changes so the fish do not suffer multiple alterations of their environment in a relatively short time period. Unless you are ready to invest in a complete system and regimen of maintenance, forget it. Give your fish good, stable conditions. The solution to that challenge is not found in a bottle.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a few decades Nancy, since i bred blue and green discus! Does take me back to the struggle to match their local waters.

Since koi don't need anywhere near the same conditions, I quess my vote would be that it's not necessary.

I was thinking it might have been aproduct brought out by Joe at blackwater in florida. Thats for setting that straight!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've also used it in aquariums to "age the water" for Discus and Angelfish. I don't believe it would have any benefit for Koi.
    Koi-Unit
    " Da Best" Chapter
    xxx