Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from ATL

Tategoi
    In the tub, I have an airlift connected with a sponge and a lot of plants. Three plants to be exact. 2 floaters, 1 iris and some duckweed. I see a few fry in the 300g pond and all the eggs seemed to hatch. I think the frys are being eaten but that's fine. I do a 10% water change daily to all my koi pond/tub and use it to water my garden. I also keep a tub to age the water 24hrs before adding to the pond/tub. I use tap water, so I add dechlorine. What chemical should I be using for the moment? Should I still be adding baking soda to keep the water ph high.

What is most important is to maintain a stable ph condition, dechlorinate each time (as you are doing) and test the water daily to be certain your water changes are sufficient. Stability and quality are the most important elements of water health and they determine Koi health more than any other thing you do. Small ponds (and 300 gallons is tiny small) are very sensitive and always require more testing and water changes than larger ones.

Nisai

Update on my fry~

Here's an update on my fry.... It's been about 5 weeks and I am feeding them daphnia and brine shrimp. =D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG0n0sR9qxE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p_RcFvMLAA

Tategoi
    You got a lot of frys. I put a 3" koi in my egg tub and it ate all of them but 15 or so. So now I have about 15 fry left from my spawn. If you ever want to get rid of your fry, let me know and I'll take all of them. Only 4 or 6 of mine are as big as yours, the rest are still small.
    Thanks

Nisai
    Hah, sorry but I'm not giving away any... I myself lost a lot of the fry..... The only survivng are probably 1/10 of my batch I started with... I've learned a lot through this process and will do much better in next year's spawn.... Maybe then, I can give you some =P or maybe a trade? haha we'll see.

Fry

Midtown Atlanta here

It was nice to find other people interested in breeding the wet pets.

I have been doing that for last few years , some times with better results than others.

This year, the majority of the females realeased the eggs. I have about 400 hundred babies, almost a month old. Iam waiting for a female Ochiba that still full of eggs but nothing hapen yet.

I am raising the babies in a small pond about 400 gallons and also in a quarium tank 75 gallons. The aquarium babies are three times bigger than the square pond.

it is my frys square pond. http://ormabe.smugmug.com/Aquariums/Babies/P1000754/877978636_twV4M-L.jpg

A month before release the eggs I started raising daphnia and then I added the eggs.

The last year I had successfull raisng about 400 babies, a week ago I went into my the big ponds ( both made 8,000 gallons) and I released 100 of those babies in my main pond ( I kept them for a year in in a cage in the big pond) and the rest of those babies I took to a public Inman park pond . I released there 50 big green kois ( 5 yeasr old) and about 300 babies,( One year old).
    I am located near Ga tech area here
    is tha a sponge filter poisonx? It seems working great!
    Orlando

Nisai

Smile Johns Creek here

Oh, its good to hear from another koi keeper in atlanta, even better a breeder~~
    I live in Johns Creek near Duluth... Wow you sound like you've been breeding for quite a while... This was my first year and I had a very very high hatch rate, literally thousands and thousands, but my first mistake was keeping it in too big of a pond, 500 gallon from the start. I learned that its easier to maintain 50 gallon tubs for the ease of feeding and filtration... I think that the reason why your aquarium fry are bigger is because of the easier access to food. You can't deny the fact that fish grow much better in bigger space!
    Hopefully, I will do much better next year... Some things you can't learn from reading, you just gotta experience it. =/ I'm even building an extension to my waterfall for a separate fry compartment to my main pond.

Also, how do you keep your daphnia cultures? I have a couple buckets for my culture, but they crash within a week or so, maybe because of the hot temperature in the sunlight?

Anyways....
    Any picture of the fry, pond? You've peaked my curiosity =D

Fry

atlanta

Hi PoisonX

Thanks so much for the reply.
    Well, it is true that babies in a small aquarium tank (75 gallons) get bigger and bigger. Some are more than an inch long in just less than a month.
    I have also added eggs to my square pond (400 gallons), because the spawning media are too big for my tank. I wish I had more than one small tank to raise babies. Here is the link for the pictures,
    http://ormabe.smugmug.com/Other/Babies-2010/12467683_QNDze#893179375_aTPg2

maller for the frys are in the square pond and the others you can see that I took the photos on the aquarium tank. The smaller fry pictures (less than half an inch) are from the square pond and are the same age as those in the aquarium tank.
    The others pictures are form the big pond and are a year old. You can see them next to the big koi in the main pond. I kept those in a cage (main pond) form last spring until a month ago when I released them in the main pond together with the big ones. So far so good.
    I raised the Daphnia in two plastic containers (sixty gallons each).
    I really do not pay much effort on that, once in a while I add yeast and some green water to feed the Daphnia culture. I know that they could die, but also I know that they lay eggs there and the culture will come back. In that way it is better for me to raise the Daphnia in the sixty gallon container than something smaller.
    I am in Midtown, near Georgia Tech, so let me know if you come to the area and you visit my ponds.
    Here are the ponds since those were built, pond still the same, landscape has changed.
    http://ormabe.smugmug.com/Other/Projects/193726_VEkWz
    Do you have pics of yours. or pond?
    Orlando

Nisai
    Thanks for the invite, I'll go whenever I have to chance to!

I have some videos on my youtube page. I'll add some new updates, I just finished putting a fry pond in the waterfall section....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEtEmf68vRc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4w4AgMDdtk

Fry
    I'm near Atlanta and am very interested in your koi breeding plan. I hope it turns out well. In the future, I also hope to breed. Therefore, if you want any help, I'm willing to assist so I may learn as well. I would also like to breed showa(f) with kohaku(m), sanke(m) and showa(m). My hobby in koi just started last Christmas and I do not yet have a real pond but a preform plastic pond from Lowes. A mistake but I'm learning.

I agree with you, thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    party dresses|mother of the bride dresses

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast