Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from ATL

Nisai

Hello from ATL

Hi, I'm from Atlanta, GA and have had koi for about a year now...
    I'm planning on breeding my fish this spring... http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-breeders/11521-my-breeding-plan.html

I'm quite impressed by the active environment of this forum!

Also, my youtube page is http://www.youtube.com/poisonxvenom

Tategoi
    I'm near Atlanta and am very interested in your koi breeding plan. I hope it turns out well. In the future, I also hope to breed. Therefore, if you want any help, I'm willing to assist so I may learn as well. I would also like to breed showa(f) with kohaku(m), sanke(m) and showa(m). My hobby in koi just started last Christmas and I do not yet have a real pond but a preform plastic pond from Lowes. A mistake but I'm learning.

Nisai
    That's good to hear at least someone's from Atlanta in this forum... I'm planning on breeding them late april and close to early march..... To me, the temperature feels a bit chilly to be breeding right now. I'm not sure, I may be wrong. But I hope everything goes well.. You should definetly build a real pond at least 2,000 gallons before breeding, in my opinion. Depends on your fish load. Do you have big fish?

Tategoi
    If and when I do decide to breed, I'll make sure I have atleast a 2000 gallon pool/pond. No, right now I don't have big fish. But I do want to buy some soon. I'm planning on going to the ATL koi auction. I think it is next weekend or it might have moved to the 1st of May. The atl koi club website went down. So I can't find out for sure. I've been reading and I think you should seperate the female from the males... And my brother says that he sees wild carps breeding right now.

Nisai
    I think the auctions on may 1, hope I can go.... The females will be separated from the main tank. I'm planning on introducing the males later this month

You've got some good company in Atlanta. A strong Koi Club, experienced members, and a few of them are members here as well. Hook up with the club and you'll give your learning curve a big shot in the arm.

Tategoi
    My koi just did an unplan breeding. The female is a magoi and the fathers are yellow/orange. I moved some eggs to a small tub and I just left the rest in my 300 gallon pond. The question is, what do I need to do to take care of the water quality? I got a airlift pump in the tub and a sub-pump in the 300 g with air. Do you think the eggs will hatch in the pond? What about the ones in the tub? What do I need to do now?
    Thanks

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by chang26k View Post
    My koi just did an unplan breeding. The female is a magoi and the fathers are yellow/orange. I moved some eggs to a small tub and I just left the rest in my 300 gallon pond. The question is, what do I need to do to take care of the water quality? I got a airlift pump in the tub and a sub-pump in the 300 g with air. Do you think the eggs will hatch in the pond? What about the ones in the tub? What do I need to do now?
    Thanks
    Usually you would need at least a sponge filter, if not little water changes will suffice... You can tell that clear eggs will hatch and white ones will not. They will hat hatch within 3-5 days dependng on the temperature. After they hatch, they will feed on their yolk sack for bout a day or two. When they are free swimming, you can feed them. First feed them hard boiled egg( only the yolk) after a week star feeding then live brine shrimp or daphnia.

My koi spawned and thr fry are a week old. I think some died cuz of inadeuate feeding =/
    good luck ~~

Tategoi
    Hi,
    How's it going? My fry are now swimming and eating. How’s yours doing? I now see the different colors of the small fry and now I appreciate the Japanese breeders more and more. They are so small the Japanese-Breeders actually pick them out. My water is green and I cannot see them in the tub, but I some in my glass jar and I see them in there. Would the fry in my main pond be eaten by the big koi or would they survive? I see some in there but my green water is not helping. But I know that green water is good for fry so I’m not going to do a major water change and keep it green for 2 or 3 more weeks.
    KC

What do you have in the "green water" other than fry and water? Airstones? A filter of some sort? They'll need water changes, filtration that won't suck the fry in, and plenty of air. Otherwise you'll have a high mortality rate very soon.

Any eggs left in the 300 gallon pond have probably been eaten by now. Do not feed the Koi in there for a few more days, do extra water changes, do extra water tests, and keep a close eye on them to make sure no health issues arise. 300 gallons of water is a very tiny space for even a few small Koi and it takes very little for the water to become toxic, especially after a spawn.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast