Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Hello from Reedley

Hello from Reedley

In my first two posts we have talked about how I wish to upgrade the quality of my koi and how to fix my leaky pond liner. This led to talking about temporary housing for my pond fish while the liner was being fixed. I also asked if it was bad that I on occasion feed crickets to my koi. I think now that I broke the ice, I should share with you who I am and a brief history of my experience as a koi owner.

I am Amanda. I live in the Central Valley of California. I sort of inherited my first pond when my husband and I rented a small house 4 years ago. It was something more fit for a water garden than fish, yet that didn’t stop us from running out to Petsmart and picking out 3 small koi. Later that week we also bought 10 feeder fish. I learned a lot that first year, and most of it was by trial and error. We ended up loosing all except for 1 koi who we call Spike and 1 comit that we call Haley.

I am somewhat ashamed to say that we didn’t know that Haley and Spike where still alive when we got ready to move. We had a hard freeze that winter and the pump failed, we figured that the fish where probably dead. Boy where we surprised. Haley seemed healthy, yet Spike looked like a pinecone.

We decided that it was better to bring the fish indoors until we moved. We also researched what was wrong with Spike. What I found on line was that the fish had dropsy. I also learned that some people had luck treating dropsy with salt baths, or adding salt to their water. I did further research and found that many places that have koi add salt to their ponds. I decided it wouldn’t hurt so over 3 days we increased the salt by .01%. With in a week Spike’s scales were laid down flat.

Spike and Haley where later joined by the Schumacher Levey Nine group (4 plain comits), Kegler (plain comit), and Spot my other koi. We added another small koi from PetSmart last spring, but my husband made a mistake and left water trickling into the pond all night long. We lost it and 2 of the SLN group.

In February I was given 20 koi fry. WHAT WAS I THINKING??? We had no place set up for them so they went into the pond. Last week we started to pull them out and put them in the house aquarium. Until this morning I still had all 20. We made our first kull I now 19.

Look for a future post on my questions regarding kulling.

I do know that if you have a brown belt in TaeKwonDo, it only means you know enough to get in trouble. Same goes for Koi. My koi belt is more than likely white.

Thank you for reading this.

Now THAT is a by God mighty fine introduction! Happy to have you aboard and you really have come to a great place to learn about Koi and how to care for them well. BTW, I grew up just down the road a piece in Strathmore... Small world isn't it.

You won't learn anything about petsmart Koi here. You WILL learn a ton about water quality management, and how to see "quality" in Koi that you can enjoy for many years. Sometimes you'll read about Koi that cost as much (or more) than your newest car, but don't let that scare you. You can still learn how to find MUCH higher quality than you have become accustomed to at prices that won't scare you away. You'll also learn how to care for them well enough to keep them well and beautiful for many, many years to come.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Fry
    Hi !
    I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

welcome both of you...

--D