Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Hello

Tosai

Talking Hello

Hi there everyone. My name is Hannes, from South Africa.

Recently found the site and look forward to learning a lot from it. Been ponding for about 5 years...

See you all around.

H

Welcome to the Board.

Tell us about your pond and fish.

Tosai

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Welcome to the Board.

Tell us about your pond and fish.
    Hey Kntry.

Thanks for the welcome. I don't know if I should tell you, as I am a bit embarrassed. You see, when I started my pond I made just about every noob mistake that could be made, with the biggest being severe overstocking (I was like a kid in a candy store when I started buying koi...) Anyway, the pond and the fish had been fine for the first 3 years, and then things started to go south slowly. A combination of growing fish and an ageing sponge filter started to catch up to the bad setup and overstocking.

As it currently stands this is where I am at now: 6000 l concrete pond (semi rectangular), 2000 l settlement chamber/vegetative filter, 1000 l up-flow / down-flow filter with 15W UV light - brushes - fluidised bio ball bed (via 40 l/m air pump) - matting. I have added a canopy over two thirds of the pond this year as the pond is in the sun during daylight hours. This weekend I am commissioning a pool filter stocked with coarse gravel feeding a mini bakki shower that will return into my veg filter. The pump that I will be using is able to "handle" solids, has a 40mm feed and is rated at 9000 l/h @ 2m, so I should be able to reach the 150% volume through the bakki, after taking into account friction losses and elbows etc. My returns to the pond are a water fall and two bottom level 25mm pipes. All filters are now designed to be able to be flushed, and are flushed once a week.

The water in the veg filter is beautiful, but that in the pond not so much, green tinge to it, and cannot see "sharply" to the bottom (+- 1.2 m) also have a lot of floating debris. Did not know about bottom drains during building, so all the gunk has to be vacuumed out.

As for the fish well, I have 3 specimens over 50cm (two brilliant white one dark brown / black), 2 over 40 cm (one brilliant white, one black and white), 15 over 30cm (take your pick, "scaleless, "doitsu koi", orange diamond patter, gray diamond pattern, orange and black, orange black and white etc etc)and 2 at about 20cm (these are perhaps the prettiest fish in the pond, tri-colour red black and white). Yup, a lot of fish. Sorry I do not know the "names" of the fish, i.e sanke, kohaku etc..

I have not struggled with fish health at all, and growth seems to be happening year on year, but VERY slowly. The problems that I referred to above was with green water, as well as the pond starting to smell like, well, a fish factory / stagnant pond (I think it was excess ammonia?) I feed 2/3 times a day totaling about 300g pellets (not the expensive stuff) All the food is always finished, the last bit very lazily, filter runs throughout the year, but feeding gets tapered severely in winter down to about 1 to 2 meals per WEEK.

I am hoping that with the extra mechanical filtration and the bakki shower that the water will clear up a bit and the DO levels will go up to increase growth, will have to see. I know that I should reduce my stocking density, but really, that is my worst nightmare. Which one? The biggest to get the most money? Nah, what is a pond without a "big fish"? The smaller ones that have so much potential? Nah, don't want to lose out on their growth. Only solution, build another, bigger pond But will have to wait, Lehman effect in 2008 knocked me flat on my butt, still recovering.

I have not yet really tested water parameters other than pH level (8.4) Salt (0.1ppm), temp 22 ~ 24 C in the summer. Will have to add that to my list of to do's over a weekend.

And that is about it I think. Questions?

Cheers
    H

Talking Hello all.

I'm from Northern California. I have a small 500 gallon above ground outdoor pond with somewhere between 15-20 fish. It is just something in my entry courtyard to hold me over until I get enough knowledge and cash to build a real pond and waterfall in the back yard. I can tell there's a lot of experience and knowledge with the users in here so I will be lurking around and seeing what I can learn.

Fry

Hello!

Hello every one my name is Thomas and I am from Singapore.So please suggestion for me.

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by MattW View Post
    I'm from Northern California. I have a small 500 gallon above ground outdoor pond with somewhere between 15-20 fish. It is just something in my entry courtyard to hold me over until I get enough knowledge and cash to build a real pond and waterfall in the back yard. I can tell there's a lot of experience and knowledge with the users in here so I will be lurking around and seeing what I can learn.
    Welcome! I am also new to this and originally from Nothern California, all though now I am in TN. Good luck with your fish!