Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: New here, and in the middle of a huge pond project

Fry

New here, and in the middle of a huge pond project

Hello everyone!

I just wanted say how much I'm learning from this site.

We are redoing a huge koi pond which up 'til now has been just a giant 65 x 25 ft hole in the ground with no liner, filtration, or water flow system in it. The depth varies from six to ten feet.

It was built by the previous owner of the property.

We rescued the two large (22 inch) koi, 20 smaller white and orange koi, some 50 golden/purple fish I haven't been able to identify (they are about five inches long), and thirteen small fry.

I'm a landscaper and am working with a local pond expert on the redo project.

I'm glad to be here and will try and post some pictures of the project as it progresses.

Can anyone tell me what the smaller gold and purple fish might be? They are a metalic gold on their sides, but a dark purple-ish black when viewed from above.

Thanks!

Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Hello everyone!

I just wanted say how much I'm learning from this site.

We are redoing a huge koi pond which up 'til now has been just a giant 65 x 25 ft hole in the ground with no liner, filtration, or water flow system in it. The depth varies from six to ten feet.

It was built by the previous owner of the property.

We rescued the two large (22 inch) koi, 20 smaller white and orange koi, some 50 golden/purple fish I haven't been able to identify (they are about five inches long), and thirteen small fry.

I'm a landscaper and am working with a local pond expert on the redo project.

I'm glad to be here and will try and post some pictures of the project as it progresses.

Can anyone tell me what the smaller gold and purple fish might be? They are a metalic gold on their sides, but a dark purple-ish black when viewed from above.

Thanks!

Debbie
    please post some photos of the project and the fish you are referring to. Please no rocks and gravel in the pond.

A picture is worth a thousand words...can you post some of the pond and fish in question so we can give you some sort of educated answer?

Add the pictures of pond and koi's you have for better understanding...

Hi Debbie, welcome you will find so much info from this site,so many help full people you will not find time to read all the feedback.

You are working with a pond builder, that should mean that you are in good hands. Have you seen any of his ( I say his could be her ) FINISHED ponds ?

One bit of advice is work in metric measurements. Meters and liters when talking water are the same.
    If you build your pond in meters you will be able to work out its volume, medications or water treatments much quicker and more important accurate.

Not sure where you live but if you have any cold snaps, add insulation in your build. Use gravity where you can , make it work for you not against you.
    The main cost of running your pond will be spent lifting water. If possible design your filtration so that it runs down hill. Remove solids as soon as you can.

Design your filter system before you build the filter house . Bigger does tend to be better.

I am one of many who will be willing to help you, just ask !!!

Brian