No announcement yet.

Transporting Koi to the Show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No no no on the transport tank. Most high enders who spent big bucks on elaborate transport tanks, that I have known over the the years, have all gone back to box/bags. The dealers in Japan use transport tanks- its a whole different thing and there whole different reasons. In the USA, you will eventually have a broken fin ( I've seen pecs and dorsals broken in half and once, a tail!) when moving koi in a transport tank- especially long distances. Now I KNOW that we all stubble onto the idea of a transport tank at some point in our koi showing experience. After all this is how the Japanese do it!And it 'seems' like a neat idea- more air, room, no confinement- YOU WANT confinement, especially with the big girls- they can get like rodeo stock when being transported!
    I'd rather have a nose rub- which can be fixed with a tiny dab of steriod cream, that a broken dorsal- which can't be fixed and renders the show fish worthless.
    A word to the wise is sufficient.

JR

Comment

Transport Tanks, chuck full of water, no problems now three out of four years of use. Tanks not full of water, JR you are correct, potential for damage is exponentially greater. Again, you need to understand how to use equipment and what the limitations are. What we have found, sudden stops, shotgun starts, tanks not chuck full of water will damage koi. Bags and Boxes, have experienced many undesirable results as well, but once again if understanding proper package protocol really never a problem.

Comment

Wow...it already seems like transporting long distance to shows is waaaay over my head.
        Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
        paints his own nature into his pictures."
        --Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

Steve's list covers almost everything. The thing with showing is to keep it simple, smaller fish are easier to transport than bigger fish. What I would suggest to newbies showing is to bigger smaller fish and experience the "Show" first.

I know Cocoboy asked me if he should bring his bigger fish and I told him to start off with smaller fish that were ready to show. He brought smaller fish did pretty well and got a taste of the show ring.

If you goin to show for your first time make it "SIMPLE"!!!!
          The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

The K.I.S.S. concept....

Simple is good, Tony. But I am really anal when it comes to keeping my koi. Can simple and safe be uttered in the same breath as newbee? *L*

We'll see.

M
            Marie

--Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

Of course you can Marie

Originally posted by Sangreaal
              Simple is good, Tony. But I am really anal when it comes to keeping my koi. Can simple and safe be uttered in the same breath as newbee? *L*

We'll see.

M
              Lets face it. You are a pretty attentive student, so following those instructions shouldn't be much of a challenge . BTW, I thought that list was pretty darn good. The only thing I might be likely to do additonally would be to add polyfill batting to the box/ice chest as an additional pad between the wall and the bag. Nice and FLUFFY
              Larry Iles
              Oklahoma

Comment

Awwwww Larry.....

Originally posted by PapaBear
                Lets face it. You are a pretty attentive student, so following those instructions shouldn't be much of a challenge . BTW, I thought that list was pretty darn good. The only thing I might be likely to do additonally would be to add polyfill batting to the box/ice chest as an additional pad between the wall and the bag. Nice and FLUFFY
                Well, yeah. That list was pretty good, and a nice checklist of things needed. Things I don't have are the nets (regular and sock), a blue viewing bowl (I have black and it's a heavy rubber monster), and the oxygen tank filled with oxygen. The boxes, the bags, the cushioning, not a problem. Maybe Amquel should be on the list too, but I don't have that either so will have to get that too. I was even thinking maybe a solar powered air pump might be an option if I can't find the oxygen tank...any thoughts on this?

But what about a koi's disposition? If the fight or flight mechanism is a fine hair trigger in the specimen you want to show, wouldn't transport and showing do some traumatizing? Would transport with a laid-back buddy that takes everything as it comes help at all? How soon do they bounce back from the ordeal after getting home? And what about QT? How long?

Marie the Inquirer

Marie

--Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

I have to add to Steve's list..

Net :
                  (One Large enough to catch your biggest fish.

Bowl:
                  (One Large enough to Bowl the largest fish that needs to be bowled.) If yo don't know then ask the show chairperson or head bencher.

Having helped bench shows I always see too small of nets and too small of bowls.

A skimmer net is always a good thing to have as well. Although you should have fasted your fish prior to showing green algae poops will come out. It also keeps your water quality up at the koi show and your fish looking good.

A towel.. Now this might seem kind of a give in but your cardboard box aint chit with it being wet inside. Iv'e also seen people share the towel and then reach in their tank simple careless things can be a huge risk.

Have to add to placing the box sideways is when placing the box in car or van etc. Make sure its not on top of the area of the car floor where it gets too hot..

With that in mind I was in Chantilly last year and a guy pulled up in his car with the windows rolled down. It being hot and humid the water also got warm.. Needless to say the koi were not doing well when came in. All of the survived. At the end of the show this person left with his windows rolled up and the AC blasting...

Joe
                  It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

And what about a first aid kit for koi to pack along, just in case the impossible happens, like jumping out of the bowl or otherwise finding a way to terra firma without water, or injuries in the bag no matter how careful or well-padded, etc. And what about heat? Maybe cold packs would be an idea...

*rusty cogs turning*

Marie
                    Marie

--Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

Originally posted by keokoi
                      I have to add to Steve's list..

Net :
                      (One Large enough to catch your biggest fish.

Bowl:
                      (One Large enough to Bowl the largest fish that needs to be bowled.) If yo don't know then ask the show chairperson or head bencher.

Having helped bench shows I always see too small of nets and too small of bowls.

A skimmer net is always a good thing to have as well. Although you should have fasted yoru fish prrior to showing green algae poops will come out. It also keeps your water quality up at the koi show and you fish looking good.

A towel.. Now this might seem kind of a give in but Your cardboard box and chit with it being wet inside. Iv'e also seen people share the towel and then reach in their tank simple careless things can be a huge risk.

Have to add to placing the box sideways is when placing the box in car or van etc. Make sure its not on top of the area of the car floor where it gets too hot..

With that in mind I was in Chantilly last year and a guy pulled up in his car with the windows rolled down. It being hot and humid the water also got warm.. Needless to say the koi were not doing well when came in. All of the survived. At the end of the show this person left with his windows rolled up and the AC blasting...

Joe
                      Good thoughtful additions and tips, Joe. It's beginning to look like my koi are going to have to have a pretty big suitcase to pack all their "needful things." *L*
                      Marie

--Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

hydrogen peroxide

I always wondered about hydrogen peroxide as an emergency quick fix in times of low oxygen. Someone once suggested that a spray bottle of it be carried when fish were being transported.

Comment

I think a very good koi show would supply O2, rubberbands and bags, but on the safe side bringing your own small O2 tank would be nice.

Comment

Bringing your own 02 tank always works best. Makc Koi America had it down in the show ring with many 02 tank accesible and each person showing had their own tube to fill up bags.. Oh yeah also available was new treated water so your koi didnt have to travel in the same stagnant show tank water.

Bringing your own 02 tank also let's you get out faster so you don't have to wait your turn and also keeps the contamination level down for yourself..

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by keokoi
                              Bringing your own 02 tank always works best. Makc Koi America had it down in the show ring with many 02 tank accesible and each person showing had their own tube to fill up bags.. Oh yeah also available was new treated water so your koi didnt have to travel in the same stagnant show tank water.

Bringing your own 02 tank also let's you get out faster so you don't have to wait your turn and also keeps the contamination level down for yourself..

Joe
                              Well didnt a well known judge tell a hobbyist he can revive his fish by pinching the tail? Did he say that works well too.

Comment

No comment.. that was a pretty arrogant thing to say to a new first timer at that show..

Anyhow that wouldn't be my choice of words I would have used. But those who were there heard it in disbelief..

Joe

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                                Working...
                                X