Showa In Warm Climates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mike,
    I have heard Kadama-san talk about his experiment with a koi farm in Okinawa. It was discontinued some years ago because he said he was unable to produce enough high quailty koi there because of summers being too warm.
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Comment

Thanks, Mike . . .

that's a most interesting addition to an already valuable thread.
      Don Chandler
      Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

Comment

My two cents. I got interested in this color change behavior of koi when I noticed long term color changes in esp. kohaks and short term changes when I treated Shiros in a white tank, which would fade sumi to light grey in seconds.
        Signals from the fish's nerves and or release of hormones can rearrange the chromatophores whith is common with cold blooded creatures. Alteration of surroundigs such as water temperature and water quality, nutrition and fish's disposition seems to effect the different layers of chromatophores thus changing pigment intensity or loss of pigment. Changes can happen in seconds or can be a long term change. This is a phenomena in the balance between differentiation and apoptosis (ordered death process) of chromatophores. Works for me at least.

Comment

Thanks for the info, Ray. I figured there must be a reason we do not see Ishigaki Koi Farm on Taro's auction site.

Comment

The guy gets around. The Kodama family are setting up to grow out koi in Hawaii now. I believe we're a little milder than Okinawa - warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer.

Comment

Glad this thread got bumped to the top

Excellent food for thought all the way around.
              A few questions and observations from the cheap seats.
              Dr. Teh has a fine collection of mixed varieties, and all that I've seen look to be excellent specimens. He feeds spirulina heavily along with silkworm suppliments without compromising color quality in the least. (One of my all time favorite Kohaku's is in his pond along with his beautiful Shiro, both eating the same feed).
              We know he has great selection skills and good bloodlines, but Koi of excellent lineage often fade anyway if water conditions and feed are not correct so husbandry has to be as good as heritage.
              That being said, is it possible that the addition of silkworm keeps the fatty cells underlying the dermis clear and white thereby giving a clear pallette for sumi and hi to be painted on?
              Larry Iles
              Oklahoma

Comment

What happened to my posts?

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Peters View Post
                  What happened to my posts?
                  Mystery solved and answered via pm.
                  Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Comment

*bumped because it's a timeless read*
                    Marie

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/koi-gr...wout-form.html

"Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and
                    paints his own nature into his pictures."
                    --Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

speaking about timing

Isn't it about time we spoke to Richard about adding showa to his list of gosanake being produced in his farm.....
                      Dick Benbow

Comment

Originally posted by dick benbow View Post
                        Isn't it about time we spoke to Richard about adding showa to his list of gosanake being produced in his farm.....
                        LOL! I think, given some of the Sanke I've seen on his farm and have in my own ponds, that a new form of Showa is going to come from SJKoi--the Showanke. (of course, that is my own term I've coined for them)

Marie

--Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

Oh, Marie that Hilarious....It even sounds fun just saying...show wank key,
                          I like it LOL!
                          Dick Benbow

Comment

Originally posted by dick benbow View Post
                            Oh, Marie that Hilarious....It even sounds fun just saying...show wank key,
                            I like it LOL!
                            LOL! It does have a ring to it, huh. *giggle* Kinda musical....
                            Marie

--Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

Would be good to revive this thread and see what our maestros have come up with since the last post.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X