No announcement yet.

Koi That Fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to share the Goshiki that I have that went through this cycle, just like a flower slowly growing, then full bloom and then wither away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	621721_591222690900517_1992394726_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	233798

My happiest moment when it won Best In Variety in our local Wakagoi show.

Name:	Goshiki - Kevin Chooi 52cm.jpg
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	233799

And today with the sumi overtaking the beni plates

Name:	Kondo-Goshiki-58cmweb_2.jpg
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	233800

Comment

I see it's usually a case of disappearing beni. Here's my Doitsu Kohaku - with more beni appearing! This one will be on the transfer list in spring.

Comment

It's also important to make sure you are starting with healthy fish. If you purchase sick fish, it's going to be an uphill battle at best. Buy your fish from a dealer you trust. If you are keeping high-dollar fish then trust is not good enough. You should set up a quarantine pond for new fish before mixing them with your other fish. If coloured fish turning white its due to loss of pigments, give em more sunlight... yes, fish stress can cause many symptoms like this...
        Last edited by Brian; 01-21-2015, 09:12 PM.
        <! * ! ~~~ KATE ~~~ ! * !>

Comment

Originally posted by kinkykoi View Post
          I see it's usually a case of disappearing beni. Here's my Doitsu Kohaku - with more beni appearing! This one will be on the transfer list in spring.

as a follow up(not to pick on your koi) what is seen in the first picture that might give indicators of what is to come if we were trying to decide on the future of this koi?

Comment

I'm rather late to Meg's post. LOL....

In the tosai photo on the left side of the dorsal fin is a peculiar patch of Hi. Unlike the rest of the Hi, which seems pretty much sharply edged as one expects with Doitsu, that pathchy area is more a blush and rather fuzzy edged. Doitsu should not have fuzzy edges, even if the Hi is still maturing. Tosai Doitsu are generally as 'finished' as a mature fish. The absence of scales means there cannot be Hi under scales and the kiwa should always be sharp. So, that patchy area is an immediate point of concern. Looking more closely, we can see irregularity on the edges of the steps that at first glance seem sharply edged. This indicates that the Hi is either coming or fading. We cannot know which without having seen the fish at earlier stages, but we can conclude that there are issues.

My guess would have been that the Hi was fading. That is what most often occurs. Obviously, I would have been wrong. There is weakness in the Hi, but is not the typical fading phenomenon. It is blurry secondary Hi. Possibly in years to come it would solidify and thicken, but that is highly unlikely, especially with Doitsu.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
            Working...
            X