Pond construction begins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pond construction begins

Hi guys this is the start of the pond construction. You cant really tell about pond depth from pics or really pond size. I will keep posting pics of progress.
    Attached Files

more pictures of the small farm to be
    Attached Files

Comment

Good Luck for the works, it's not easy to realise the deap of the pond but that seems really big.
      What kind of filtration are you planing to use ?

Comment

These will be natural mud ponds so no filteration will be needed fresh water will be supplied with the well.

Comment

wow use some of that dirt to build up sides. How deep will they be? Or are they just for frys? Very nice though and envious.... Joe
          It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

The pond size is 12x50x4 with a surface are of 25 foot. I will be using the ponds for fry and growout ponds. I hope to sell most of the koi by the time they are 6 inches and only hold on to the best two grow out. Will be building 4 this spring and 4 end of summer and 4 next spring and 4 end of summer. Total of 16 ponds. The property around two sides is for sale and I am thing about getting a few more acres to go with what I have. Just considering at this time. If I can get all I need done in the next two summers I will be happy.

Joe dont be to envious as this is costing me out my butttttttt! Just using spare change. I hate to see the time I am going to really have to dig deep No really I am pulling every dime from every area I can find. It is using all my extra money and no new shirts and pants and shoes, no new hair dues and you can really tell I need a fix up. Gotta go on a diet to as I can tell from the pic I look like crap.

Comment

Envious anyhow.. LOL I heard land was cheap out in GA. I heard good for mudponds as well. Where did you say yo uhad 2 acres to buy? and How much. I'll buy it so you can play on it with a mud pond.

Comment

What you must want me to work your mud ponds, anyway you can buy two acres for 20 grand if you got it. For me I dont think that is cheap. Play all day if I could but real work takes it from me. I keep telling myself just five more years till I can be in a world of total bliss.

Comment

Nice start. .... Dig deeper.

Comment

Why deeper? I dont plan on keeping my koi over 6 inches. Help me on this one as I was under the impression that 4 foot was all I needed for the fry and grow out ponds.

Comment

KFG, I would look into the future as you progress and get more into it. I think after awhile when you get good at culling. you may want to release bigger koi later in your career as a koi farmer. Just my opinion. A deeper pond won't hurt that is for sure. Joe

Comment

You may be right I can have the parent kois pond dug a lot deeper. That way if I want to grow some bigger I can. I plan on being very pickey about the koi I want to raise up to good size and I dont think I will be keeping that many. If one of my parent kois produce a lot of show quaily koi then I will go from their to what I need to grow them out to big koi.

Comment

KFG: I was joking more than serious. I know you are going to do what you have planned. If just for growing to 6", then I'd think your depth is fine; but I'd rely on others with real experience raising fry to tosai as to optimal depth for that purpose. I think most of the creatures fry consume will be in the upper layers.

Comment

yeah ive just worked out what your measurements are..
                            I dont get the 25 foot surface area though but anyway i can see what your doin there.

its good to see what your dealing with and doing. i musunderstood you before thinking you meant metres.
                            i dont know mikes take but also while 4 foot may be fine for fry and grow out, i prefer for fish ponds to be a bit deeper.

id be asking more why would prefer you go shallow. i know shallow ponds can grow fine, people say the light penetrates that depth better..no offence intended to you at all mike but i reckon theres more to it than light.
                            tell her to hide the keys of those dozers for a night itme joyride.

really if they are 4 foot at deepest then you will have them even more shallow at the other end and you have to have a freeboard.. they wont be fully full.
                            (you should get them to put a taper in and not leave them flat bottomed.)

i prefer ponds about 1.8 to 1.4m and not less.
                            shallow ponds= cool quick, warm quick. ie. they fluctuate more are less forgiving.
                            predators can eat them out easier also.
                            a farm next door to where i worked failed, one big reaon was cause the ponds got attacked by predator birds. it seemed they put as many ponds in as quick as they could, now theyre full of bottom growing weeds.
                            shallow ponds with slow sloping banks are even worse at a lot of long legged varieties can feast on your efforts.
                            dont let that panic you if theres not a lot around to eat them but it is a bad point of shallow ponds.
                            with deeper ones your getting more water for land area also.
                            for me shallow ponds limit the ability to breed and grow in a larger time window.
                            you can spend more on what land you do own and itll be ok.
                            pleas eremember how much more work many many ponds are, even though you get more control ove rpairings in theyre own pond you can expect them to provide less than the real shallow ones too.

if its gonna cost you more than you wnat5 it to, then you can keep going as is, itll still be ok.
                            though if they can scrape em deeper while yhey are there ,for not much more dollars, id do that.

id assume theyre going by the hour. tell em to chunk it up deeper to begin and manicure last.
                            this might be a time when its better to have 3 done right then get them in to redo once your up and running with water and fish on the property.

well anyway thats my advice.
                            anyone prefer 3 and 4 foot over five and six feet deep in regards to farming?

Comment

haha, i thought you meant dig deeper in your pockets.
                              yeah she will do the four sixteens. we know our kfg.
                              anyway kfg your having a go an im not gonna stop you doing that. go for it.
                              dont let us freak you out. take a bit of notice and do only what you can.

mike, did we do a simultaneous post?
                              i had that exact theory on light penetration and depth for a while.
                              i remember seeing a cross section of light penetration and how life doesnt occupy real deep ponds, and life hangs in that zone, however i now think that a five or six foot pond produces more food than a four, i reckon that water and alga move and get exposed to light a bit more than a straight out drawing would suggest and also that nutrient availablity factor in and hence bloom ups are a bit more stable.
                              regardless of whether ive got a new theory thats right or not, i found the forgiving nature of a deeper pond helps in that its not just food that fish need to grow fast, theres a buffer for things like temp and o2 as well.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X