PapaBear's Growout Form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larry,

She is looking sooooo good..............one of mine was nudged out for best in size 3 by some Kohaku ....iffin you had been there your may have tipped the scale.....................
    Koi Wrangler
    CKHPA

Comment

She is looking good, but the sashi is still too smudgy to go to a show. Next spring may be a different story though
      Larry Iles
      Oklahoma

Comment

Very nice looking fish Larry! I'm almost embarrassed to show mine.
        Jim

Comment

Times Up!

Well, I don't think we're gonna win any prizes, but it sure has been fun.
          The cold water has brought the facial sumi back up heavy and I expect it to take several months for it to pull back into a better pattern. The skin quality still looks outstanding with some traces of matsunosuke type gin flecking here and there. We've been on a winter fast since November, so only 15.5" at the end of the contest. This fish has good bones for growth so I expect another 7-10" this year.
          The overal girth and body mass on it doesn't show up on a top view pic, but I've included a shot or two that give a good indication. I'm very pleased all in all and I think it could be a competetive show fish in 2 or 3 years when the pattern has finally settled in.
          Here's some shots, with the photo I submitted to Jim for judging being the first.

Larry Iles
          Oklahoma

Comment

One thing is for sure Larry................it did not go muji.............

Has some great promise for sure, can't wait to see what the future brings.

The videos are the best way to really see them............unless they don't want to pose.!
            Koi Wrangler
            CKHPA

Comment

I'm with you on the video's, but the one I was trying to shoot didn't turn out. 2 cameras, and neither one of them happy about being COLD while shooting pictures and especially not video. Frosty fingers and a frosty camera good vids do not make
              Larry Iles
              Oklahoma

Comment

To make it easier to see...

...without going back to the first page that is...

Selection Picture on picking day.
                Koi picked at #11 in the first round.

Koi Info

Koi 1 size when received, Jan 30, 2008: 7" (more photo's in post 20)

Koi 1 size between 6/1/08 and 7/1/08: 12" (more photo's in post 64)

Koi 1 size between 2/1/09 and 3/1/09: 15.5" (more photos in post 79)

Pond temp when received: 40 deg F
                11-51 will begin life indoors in QT due to cold winter water in outside pond where it will remain until pond temp reaches at least 55-60deg. Indoor tank will be at 68F.
                ADDITIONAL INFO ON QT.
                Ph 7.8 Kh 100 Gh 180

Pond temp at 6 month photo: 76 deg F
                Pond temp at final photo: 52 deg F

Pond Info
                Gallons: 6,000g + filtration and stream bed
                Stocking rate: Before grow out, 20 Koi from 10"-20".
                Filtration: Vortex settlement, Moving bed, Showers, Towers.
                Liner Type: EPDM
                Turnover rate: 8500gph summer, 3500gph winter.
                Dimensions:
                Water changes per week: Seasonally variable 1-4.
                Amount of water changed %: Seasonally variable 5-20%

Food Info
                Brand and Type fed: Ray Abell Floating Wheat, High Protein, Mazuri Platinum Wheat. Also fresh veggies, crustaceans, etc... as treats.

Owner Info
                Years in hobby: 4 (now 5)
                Years buying show koi: 1
                Zone: 7
                State: Oklahoma

Fun Stuff
                Koi 1 sex guess when received: My guess Female, Marion's guess Male...
                Koi 1 name: Aria Fifty One (11-51 technically speaking)
                Koi 1 Sex guess on 3/1/2009 Still not certain. Koi is sexually immature, no eggs, no milt. Gills and fins indicative of female but vent has more of a male look to it. Either that or not developed fully enough yet.
                Larry Iles
                Oklahoma

Comment

Encouraging news on pinning down Aria 51's sex...

We have had EIGHT females spawn this week

A certain Omosako Shiro (who is looking rather "plump" these days, is completely ignoring the spawning females whilst every male in the pond has been happily attending to them. 51 just swims around on the other side of the pond grazing on fresh eggs
                  Larry Iles
                  Oklahoma

Comment

Female!

That's great news. I'll look forward to seeing photos of this fish at the end of the year.

The Pond Digger
                    "Doubt sees the obstacles, Faith sees the way!"

Comment

Was checking out your Omosako Papabear, Your koi does seem to lighten up and darken up again keeping pretty much is pretty basic pattern some what.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                      Working...
                      X