Lam's Dainichi Hotaru Certified Female JT Sanke & Other Gosanke Growout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lam Nguyen View Post
    Oh boy, the GO hasn't even started and questions are already fired. Grant and Dan, please fire away. I will try my best to answer them and hope that we can all learn from this GO and have you guys contribute to this GO, too.

Just to put things in perspective, please remember that this is just a "fun and educational" tosai/nisai growout. The koi are nothing spectacular so please don't be disappointed when you see them. The whole purpose for this GO is to (1) have fun with fellow hobbyists and develop longlasting friendship along the way, (2) possibly learn how Dainichi's new Hotaru sanke develops, (3) continue to test Mike Snaden's theory on growing koi, (4) see a few Texan hobbyists cry and (5) improve my koi keeping skills/knowledge.

Ok... I'll start slow. In one of your hypothesis, you're looking to test food impact. (one kind of food vs. a mixture) Are you going to keep them seperate and try the two approaches? Or just switch things around in incriments? (like 3 mos on the mix, then 3 months on the single source)

Grant

Comment

I'm anxious to see what the differences are due to the vast differences in water La'me. I have pretty darn hard water and high PH....(over 8) It will be interesting to see how it will effect the colors.

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Lam. It will be educational for all of us. I'm hoping to be in the contest next year.

PLEASE, tell me you didn't sex any of the fish.
        The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
        SANDY

Comment

subscribed!

Comment

Originally posted by dtran6 View Post
            subscribed!
            David, I told you that you should have gotten in this GO so that there will be another Texan to woop Lam's butt.

I'm glad that Dick brought up the subject of the RO, that will remind me to fire up the 2500gpd unit I got hidden.

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder View Post
              David, I told you that you should have gotten in this GO so that there will be another Texan to woop Lam's butt.

I'm glad that Dick brought up the subject of the RO, that will remind me to fire up the 2500gpd unit I got hidden.
              Ryan, this contest is serious business man! it is too serious for a amateur like me...I'll sit on the sidelines and watch the game Sign me up for next yr...I should be ready after studying all these GO threads.
              Don't be suprise if Lam starts injecting his GO's with a lil something to bulk them up and it might not be cyanocobalamin this time .

Comment

Lam you could very well win this little event....so long as you don't touch your koi!

Comment

Originally posted by Meg View Post
                  Lam you could very well win this little event....so long as you don't touch your koi!
                  LOL! Thanks for having confidence in me Meg. Unfortunately I touch it and now "it" is a "he". My luck, just my luck! Still, even if "it" was a "she" there is no way I would win this event considering the stiff competition. Man, how much I would pay to see the Texans wear their losers tshirt!

Comment

Hypothesis 1: Tosai grown in a hobbyist backyard pond can attain size of 20 or more inches by ake sansai.

Already proved in Texas...

Hypothesis 2: Tosai grown in a confined 1500 gal QT can attain size of 20 or more inches by ake sansai.

This one I want to see. I believe you can do this.

Hypothesis 3: Given the same genetics, koi grown in low TDS, neutral pH & low nitrate grow better than koi grown in high TDS, high pH and ponds with nitrate.

I would think this is a given based upon the nitrate alone, but I look forward to your conclusions. Our water down here is pretty high in PH, but no nitrates.

Hypothesis 4: Given the same genetics, koi fed a mixture of different high quality diet grow better than koi fed with a single high quality diet.

How are you going to prove this one. Which of the group is going to feed just one food type?

Hypothesis 5: Indoor artificial lighting is as good as natural sunlight in maintaining optimal koi color.

I got nothing on this one. No interest in finding out...

Hypothesis 6: Bigger is not always better and Texans can and will cry at the end of the GO contest

Bigger is Better it's just the way of life. Most of us strive for the "Bigger" paycheck, the "Bigger" house, the "Bigger" koi. Don't let your own inadequacies keep you from the truth. Texans don't cry over a koi. It would have to be his horse or his dog to get that kind of reaction. Ultimately a Texan will stand on top the podium as the victor. It's what we do, get used to it.

Nothing but love for you my brother, nothing but love...
                    Whoever said you can't buy happiness didn't know about Koi

Comment

those Texans just keep raising the stakes.

Duc, guess who has access to a mud pond? - KoiShack

Comment

Originally posted by smithvillemike View Post
                        those Texans just keep raising the stakes.

Duc, guess who has access to a mud pond? - KoiShack
                        Yep Mike, wait till the go sanke come out of this mud pond!

Comment

Oh shietz, I just remembered the mud pond......

I promise to take pixs & vids of my sanke & post this weekend. She has settled in nicely and I am very impressed with her quality.

Comment

Quarterly Updates

tap, tap,tap...is this thing on... tap, tap, tap.

I can't see anything, is this thing on...

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                            Working...
                            X