to UV or not to UV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to UV or not to UV

who doesnt have a UV filter and still has clear water? whats your filter setup?

i really really dont want to install a UV on my new pond, but i dont know if it will work without one. (with more than average fish load of course)

Hey Aragon,
    My first pond of 4500gals. had no UV and was crystal clear in almost full sun. The problem is , it was fully lined with rock which made the entire pond a biological system. I am presently re-doing that pond, and I believe I am going to have to put in a UV Light. Otherwise I would need a massive Biological filter.
    Koi-Unit
    " Da Best" Chapter
    xxx

Comment

My old pond had no UV. Once established, it remained reasonably clear when the pond was shaded. After hurricanes eliminated the tree cover, a slight greenish tone occurred during warm weather, but not so much as to cause a problem. I believe the most important factors were a good biological filtration system (45 minute turn over), and a healthy growth of a carpet of algae on all pond surfaces. I believe the carpet algae produced chemicals which retarded other algae growth. (Allelopathy) In our climate, the carpet algae was actively growing year-round.

Comment

thanks guys ...

what about the others?

Comment

hi

i have a bakki showered pond of 5000gals,i turn over around 10,ooogph through the showers plus skimmer,the pond has been running for around 8weeks now.i have no UV and the pond is reasonably clear.
          the old pond i had i ran for around 2 years with no UV and never suffered green water.
          cheers Dave.

Comment

hello,

my pond is also 5000 gallons,3 bakki showers,have not had u.v for two and ahalf years never green
            regards craig

Comment

whats so bad about u.v lights then??

Comment

U V lights are like turn signals in a car. you don't use them all the time but when you need them they're there!

if your pond is in balance with it's location to the sun, fish load and bio filters you will have no need of a UV.

you can use a UV in the spring and fall during the mid 50's to lower 60's, breeding season for parasites so that the 2 weeks the eggs are water borne and not attached you can destroy them.

here in the pacific NW, we get long lingering springs and then wam! instant heat.
                if your system is marginal, it will turn green and overwhelm the filters. The UV can help.

to me ( my opinion ) by running UV 24/7 every day of the year it's like putting bandaides over an infected wound. you can't see what's going on till it's too late. the presence of algea is because there is food for the plants. If the filter was robbing it of the needed food, the algea wouldn't be a problem.
                If i had a thin dime for everytime someone at my seminars asked about why their fish had hole in the side when their water was crystal clear, i could buy you and KB's publisher a nice sushi dinner in tokyo!

if you feel you must run a uv 24/7 be sure and change the bulb no less than annually and run a battery of water chemistry tests everyday! that way you wouldn't have any excuses for asking why the koi are in trouble when the water's crystal! sorry to be so opinionated but 25 years can sway one's decision making.....
                Dick Benbow

Comment

No UV and 2.6m deep. I believe by not having a UV light it is easier to combat blanketweed. Before the weed grows the pond will turn green to use up all the extra nutrients and if the UV kills the floating algae the pond has no choice but to produce blanketweed to use upthe excessive nutrients in the water.
                  Attached Files
                  Jaco Vorster
                  South Africa

Comment

it would seem that many of those who have NO UV, are the same ones with the shower type filters ...

ok, let me qualify my question, im gonna be using k1 moving bed (about 600 litres) for a 14000 gallon pond (not including fitlers)

assuming 100 litres of k1 get rid of half a kilo of food/poop

and i only plan to feed NOT MORE THAN half a kilo per day... do you think i can get away without a UV filter?

Comment

Originally posted by aragorn
                      it would seem that many of those who have NO UV, are the same ones with the shower type filters ...

ok, let me qualify my question, im gonna be using k1 moving bed (about 600 litres) for a 14000 gallon pond (not including fitlers)

assuming 100 litres of k1 get rid of half a kilo of food/poop

and i only plan to feed NOT MORE THAN half a kilo per day... do you think i can get away without a UV filter?
                      My pond was original built without any UV 7 years ago. It is 5K gal with an Aqua Ultima II filter and an 1K gal biological filter that has 20 Japanese mats. It was very clear thru the years until 2 years ago. Somehow it turned to green and a lot of algae. Not so sure the reason why. There was no change in the environment. So, I added an 80wat UV and turned it on for about 3 weeks,
                      the water came back to the normal clear as it was before; then I turned
                      the UV off and only turn on couple weeks a year during hot summer.

With a 14K gal, not so sure the main reason why you don't want to have
                      a UV? But how about this? install one (say 80 or 120w) and if you don't
                      like or don't need it, you can just simply turn it off;-))

--Dinh

Comment

I look at a UV in other regards other than just clearing green water. They can kill bacteria as well, if used "properly". They won't do much good for killing parasites, but that really isn't a issue as most parasites are on the fish and not floating in the water.

Coming out of winter I had a tosai in QT that had a smidge of tail rot starting, but I decided to put it in the pond anyways. Aeronoma's should have been on the prowl, but the fish got better, I did do a PP paste swab a few days after it was in the pond just for kicks, but it was healing on it's own. I say that the UV on my pond is killing the areonoma's, others might argue, but I have seen tests on UV units in another market, not koi ponds, that show they kill bacteria very well. My light is overkill for my pond but I wanted it that way, as I'd figured it would kill the areonoma's. I am using a 80w light to my 3800gal. pond.

Just another thought on UV's.
                        “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Comment

dinh, i feel that UV's are a waste of pipe friction loss and IF i decide to use UV's, i plan on using the shine-on UV's so i can eliminate the friction/head loss.

woodyaht, at least we dont have a change in seasons ... only from wet to dry.

i have a UV on my current pond but ... its just that evolution aqua is claiming that their moving bed technology eliminates nitrates and thus doesnt need a UV, so do you guys utilizing a nexus or moving bed have UV's?

Comment

aragon,

i don't use UV lamp but i use ozone instead. clear water for the last 9 months...

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                            Working...
                            X