Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Japanese way or The American/English way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Japanese way or The American/English way?

There are many opinons as to which filter system is better. The Japanese filter system is takes up alot of space. American/English filter system takes up less space and is alot more cheaper to construct. How many of you have one or the other or a combination of both?
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Originally posted by aquitori
    There are many opinons as to which filter system is better. The Japanese filter system is takes up alot of space. American/English filter system takes up less space and is alot more cheaper to construct. How many of you have one or the other or a combination of both?
    What is the american/english way? Is it Nexus type filter and or K1 type and microscreens?
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Originally posted by keokoi
      What is the american/english way? Is it Nexus type filter and or K1 type and microscreens?

Yeah and anything W.Lim...Anything compact...Is the American/English way.

Comment

Mine is the German way, very compact, but does a good job.
        “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Comment

Japanese way then...

Comment

Originally posted by woodyaht
            Mine is the German way, very compact, but does a good job.
            German way? What does your system consist of? Did it cost as much as a Maybach Benz?

Comment

Japanese way then...
              Is your system bigger than the so-called 10% of the total water volume?

Comment

German way? What does your system consist of? Did it cost as much as a Maybach Benz?

It's all full of Sauerkraut , but it works really well. It's a very inexpensive filter, couldn't even buy a lug nut on a Maybach for what this costs. All I know is my water parameters are great, and my fish are growing on avg. of 1-2" a month. So it must be doing something right.

It's a Oase Biotec 18, but I am going to change it to the Biotec 36 in a few, just for kicks.
                “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Comment

Nope my 3800gal. pond goes through a box of about 32"x22"x22" and that's it , and a 80w Aqua UV, with a fish load of 16 fish, avg. size 13-14".
                  My water clarity dropped of a few weeks ago from crystal clear to a little green, but I really hadn't done a good cleaning of the filter for the past year, and that's all it was.

Chris~

Comment

Japanese way then...
                    Keo, it's made by the germans, but owned by a Italian, what a mix , Japanesse is probably the best

Chris~

Comment

Its more like 20% more.... My intention was to build the filter bigger. I still want to add to it with a (bakki shower working on it now) and maybe add another chamber with some K1 so it would be called a "hoppa" filter I guess. Japanese American

Joe

Comment

I was going to fill the guest room with J-Mat, but my wife got a restraining order against me!
                        Koi-Unit
                        " Da Best" Chapter
                        xxx

Comment

NO way. This pond in San mateo has pretty much no filter, small and shallow, and I met the largest kois I have seen in my life. yes, they are bigger than that chagoi in kevin's pond. The owners kid did a science project, comparing city water, the pond water and the creek water nearby, and it was almost garbage free. Here is the best part : the owner have done a handful of water change over the last 20 years. That beats the hell out of my pressure-bead filter (american way?), my settling stuff (Japanese way?).

stan

Comment

Since my "up bringing" in things koi is japanese, I tend to lean that way. But like feed or anything else I don't like to have all my eggs in one basket. that's the beauty of our hobby, lots to learn from cultures and concepts all over the world.
                            Dick Benbow

Comment

Originally posted by saratogatan
                              NO way. This pond in San mateo has pretty much no filter, small and shallow, and I met the largest kois I have seen in my life. yes, they are bigger than that chagoi in kevin's pond. The owners kid did a science project, comparing city water, the pond water and the creek water nearby, and it was almost garbage free. Here is the best part : the owner have done a handful of water change over the last 20 years. That beats the hell out of my pressure-bead filter (american way?), my settling stuff (Japanese way?).

stan

The strange thing I have found out, in ponding and in life in general, is if you find something that works for you, stick with it, it may not be the "norm" or what everybody else recommends, but what it all boils down to is it works for you.

My next door neighbor, built his Koi pond 20 yrs. ago, it's probably about 800-900 gal. I would guess, and had 7-8 fish in the range of 14"-26" with 2 turtles as well, and has never done a water change, other than topping it off from evaporation, or cleaning the filter, his filter is close to the same size as his pond though, and is just a pea gravel bed filter.
                              There's no airation, except for 4/ 1/4" copper tubes that trickle water in a little water feature, they barely disturb the surface of the water.

I know alot of people probably frown on the filter I use, but it incorporates alot in it, it has a micro-screen, which then has kind of a trickle tower type design where the water flows down through the sponges, to another chamber that you can fill with any media you want if you don't want to use the ???? Ummmm, the name slips me right now, but it's a form of rock??? I have yet to fill the chamber with anything other than what it came with.

It works for me so that's what I am sticking with, I am going to go to the largest size they make, just for kicks, and I know my fish will grow, and I am over stocked, and I'd rather have a little security knowing I have a larger filter than the manufacter recommends for my load on it.

Chris~

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X