No announcement yet.

Any Advice for me on this Winter Cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Advice for me on this Winter Cover?

Finally got a 12-14 mil tarp over the pond since it warmed up a little today. The tarp is over a frame made from chain link top rails and canopy fittings.

Not sure if I'm doing this right. Happy for any advice.
    Sand bags are 60 lbs and too heavy for me to lift. Do you think the blocks will work? Any advice there?

So here is the end where the air pumps and filters are so things aren't very straight or plumb. I thought leaving the air pumps under the plastic would make for warmer air going into the pond. They're also under a fake rock and that's what you see poking at the plastic on the right.

Along the front, the long side, I'm using landscaping blocks we had tore out from our flower beds. To make a stable base, I had to roll two 2x4s side by side in the plastic and then lay another 2x4 down outside the plastic to set the blocks on.

I ran into a problem around the pumps and plumbing and not sure how to work the plastic here since the ground drops off at this point.

The blocks aren't very stable here. What do you think?

...enjoy your day!
    5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

Peppy the job over the pond look s great, and yes I think keeping the air pumps in there will help. perhaps you could make a simple tee-pee frame of pvc to help suport the plastic over the pumps?

Comment

It looks great as long as the frame can support snow build up. The pumps inside will help keep the air warm. Great idea!
      The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
      SANDY

Comment

It is soooo good to have someone else's input. Thank you.

Meg, there isn't enough plastic to cover the pumps. I'm thinking of buying a small piece and doing a small frame there too. Not sure since when I shut the filters down they have to be drained. That could be a PITA under a foot of snow.

Kntry, I hope the frame will support snow. I got the idea from WeWilly of using canopy fittings to connect 1 3/8" chain link fence top rail. I have a small fortune in the thing. I'm sure I'll have to keep the accumulation down.
        ...enjoy your day!
        5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
        Working...
        X