No announcement yet.

Help! Costia is in my pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Kntry, I have to favorite formulas I will share with you. I've converted to gallons--
    I measure this dose using a triple beam balance and I dissolve the dose in a bucket of water before adding it to the pond. I then place the pour into the return or over air stones or it is well mixed in the pond.

The first is a weaker dose of 8 grams per 1000 gallons US of water. I leave it for 6-8 hours and use this for newly imported koi with protozoa infestations.

The second dose is stronger and depending on the time of year or cleanliness of the pond, I will use this one ( It is the one I use on my personal imports after a week or so of rest).
    22 grams to 2500 gallons of water. This is a 'hotter ' dose and must be monitored. It will grow weaker after an hour or so and the ORP reading will begin to drop off from the mid ti high 500mV range. I keep this going for eight hours ( so start in the morning) and then do a 50% water change in the quarantine take where I do this treatment. Consider refill time if you have to turn off filters due to design during refill.
    JR

Comment

Originally posted by JasPR View Post
      Hi Kntry, I have to favorite formulas I will share with you. I've converted to gallons--
      I measure this dose using a triple beam balance and I dissolve the dose in a bucket of water before adding it to the pond. I then place the pour into the return or over air stones or it is well mixed in the pond.

The first is a weaker dose of 8 grams per 1000 gallons US of water. I leave it for 6-8 hours and use this for newly imported koi with protozoa infestations.

The second dose is stronger and depending on the time of year or cleanliness of the pond, I will use this one ( It is the one I use on my personal imports after a week or so of rest).
      22 grams to 2500 gallons of water. This is a 'hotter ' dose and must be monitored. It will grow weaker after an hour or so and the ORP reading will begin to drop off from the mid ti high 500mV range. I keep this going for eight hours ( so start in the morning) and then do a 50% water change in the quarantine take where I do this treatment. Consider refill time if you have to turn off filters due to design during refill.
      JR
      I would not disagree with this method however some people do not have the understanding of measurement and could make a deadly mistake.
      I use the measurement of one teaspoon for each 1000 gal. Since a teaspoon measurement using a teaspoon is not the most accurate method I use a graduated sliding scale cooking tea spoon.
      On the treatment I watch the color carefully so that the purple starts to turn to brown after 5hr that shows me the dosage is not to strong. The first treatment kills of all the algae as well as the mucus coat. On the next treatment usually 2 days later a lot smaller dosage is required for the 5hr before the pink color starts to turn.
      Of course water changes have to be made and I skim off the residue from
      the surface. When finished I salt for the purpose of helping the mucus coating to recover.
      Regards
      Eugene

Comment

Agreed Eugene. I'm not a fan of the teaspoon other than for adding sugar to coffee.
        That is why I use a triple beam balance whenever it comes to compounds that will mingle with my pets.
        I make my own mix of organophosphates and mal green for flukes. A super one-two punch for all flukes. And I wouldn't dare with a teaspoon! JR

Comment

Bumping for a Koi Friend.
          President : GLK&GS
          Officer : NMZNA
          Certified Judge : AKJA

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
          Working...
          X