Kohak, Sanke or Showa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kohak, Sanke or Showa

Which do you have more appreciation for? and why?

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Hey Joe,

You know I have a thing for Kohaku and Sanke. Nice
    Sanke is quite hard to find compared to showa.

Somehow, I personally think Kohaku and Sanke are simple and elegant.

However, Showa definitely has more presence.

Just my 2c.

What do you think about this sanke ? IT's a torazo.
    Attached Files

Comment

Definitely showa. I always thought it was more difficult to pick a good small showa than any other type of koi. The fact that sumi is often difficult to predict, makes this a tough variety to get right. If I had a bucket of 20 kohakus, 20 sankes and 20 showas...I would have less trouble picking the future good kohakus and sankes than showas. The sumi is always a gamble....this makes me appreciate a good showa more than the others. Here's a picture of my 18" showa...just for the heck of it.
      sigpic

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Comment

Definitely Presence!!!

Comment

I like that sanke a great deal. I'm a big fan of torazo...My tancho in my signature pic is a torazo. Definitely a sweet sanke!!!!
          sigpic

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Comment

Kohaku, showa, sanke, in that order.

With kohaku, I like the simplicity of only two colors but the complexity in how those two colors interact with each other. Showa are more striking and seem powerful vs a kohaku that seems graceful.

I don't think I've learned to fully appreciate sanke yet.

-Dan

Comment

Just something about a really nice sanke that starts my engine. Like all three, but as mentioned earlier, good sankes are not as easy to find as good kohaku's and showa's. Just my opinion though.

Comment

Here's a pic of her!!! Go Torazo!!!
                sigpic

Comment

Now, that's a nice tancho.

Comment

They say that you start with kohaku and end with kohaku. I have recently switched allegiance from kohaku to sanke. I would be afraid to ever go back to kohaku because that might indicate that the end is near.

Showa have never been a favorite because they do not show up well in my murky ponds over black liner. The new showa are flashier with brighter colors. However, I refuse to accept a white-based fish (from yellow fry) as a real showa and have contended elsewhere that showa are the victim of identity theft. If any factor was to draw me away from sanke to showa, it would be an interest in preserving a lost art - selecting showa from black fry.

-steve hopkins

Comment

Uh, that a hard question. I would say Kohaku is my fav but a good old style Showa with lots of black and I´m not so sure anymore.

If I take Brutuscz Showa for example I´m not so sure if I could take any Kohaku over that. I don´t really like Sanke. It is the same thing with Kindai Showa. Too less Sumi. I want to see if I have a Sanke or a Kohaku.

The difference is, if you compare the varieties as a whole. Then it will be Kohaku, Sanke and Showa as a last thing. The average quality of a Kohaku is nearly unbeatable. Especially if you count the best examples (Sakura Hime, Loulan, This is Kohaku, etc.) then the other two options have no real chance. Maybe I´m wrong but there aren´t that many legendary Sanke or Showa.

Comment

Showa, Kohaku, and Sanke, and fourth Shiro Utsuri.

The Difficulty and Rarity of really good, large Showas makes them most prized to me. So many ways to screw them up, and add to that the higher percentage of deformities.

Kohaku during the times I am frustrated with Showas..LOL A really nice large one, with great skin is tough to beat.

Sanke's were my fav for years.

Shiro Utsuri are up there too.
                        Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

sigpic

Comment

I forgot to answer my ?

Sanke, Kohak and showa...

Sanke lights my fire. So hard to find quality ones. Even breeders limit the sanke spawn they say its just really hard to get one. I guess after millions of fry culled out they payback aint great. .

Kohak I always look at no matter where I am I can see Kohak.

Showa. I aint there yet. I like em but the styles seem forever changing. Don't get me wrong my glasses still fog up when I go to Hajime Isa's Greenhouse but

Sanke, Kohak and showa for me.

Joe
                          It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

I love Kohak, reason being is it is 2 color and simple.
                            The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

its a tie between kohaku and showa for me.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X