The Dragon Fish of koi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dragon Fish of koi

What do you guy's and Gal's look for when looking for a Kumonryu? I have been told when you're looking for a young one, find one that is almost all white. Is this what you people look for? Also I have not seen a whole lot of young ones with white heads. Most have a yellowish head to them. I'm guessing in time they will lose this yellowish head. Anyone have anything to say about what you would look for in a young Kumonryu?

Tom

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

ah yes my first love of Nishikigoi. I dunno what it is about kumonryu but I like em(Suke Desu!) When I look for them I look for them to have a lot of black white head of course clean crisp lines. Kumonryu is a gamble but older lineage way back when I have heard that Kumonryu was stable and never changed as for pattern. Also have heard that looking in mouth you can see the dominate trait of that kumonryu that is will have strong sumi color which I Prefer most. Oh yeah doest hurt if it has that Hajior trait in the pec fins as well. Kumonryu the Dragon! (Kinda reminds me of (Bruce Lee flick)

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Here is a pic of my little dragon with a couple of friends.
      Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Comment

Jim, do you have any other pictures of this koi when it was lighter?

Tom

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tom C
          Jim, do you have any other pictures of this koi when it was lighter?

Tom
          Sorry I havent had it very long and thats what it looked like when I got it. It hasn't changed at all though in 2 months.
          Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Comment

I have two, one that changes a lot seasonally and the other changes but little.. Neither have yellow heads. They are slow growers.

Comment

I got one but it is completely white!! Goin to throw that sucker in Akinosan's pond to get darker.....Akinosan has a really nice one in his other big pond, goin to take a pic and show you guys without his permission...HAHAHAHAHA....

KOI-UNIT!!!!
              The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

I passed up an auction K last year. I really should have gotten that fish. I've often wondered what it would look like now. This one was almost all white but I could see where the black should come up. Could have been a very nice fish.

Comment

The only aspect of Kumonryu that attracts me is the patterning. But, it changes radically. They seem to be at their best around age 3 or 4. I cannot recall ever seeing one that was dramatically patterned and over 24". There must be some, I guess. I've just never seen one. So, I do not think I will ever get one.

Comment

This is hte first koi I ever bowled in Japan. I was serious on buying it. I thought I was ready to buy. I found out price and dropped my Jaw. I wasnt ready to spend almost half my budget on the first day and second breeder we visited. I passed on it. To this day I still think I should have bought that koi. (slapping forehead ( Doh!) Well even with the gamble I still would have bought it. I havent seen one so clean.

Joe

Comment

Keo, that is an amazing looking fish....... makes me miss the one I lost bad. Now ya done it, I am again on a quest for one of those beauties.
                      " I'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy "

Comment

That is one thing about them if it is a nice one you remember it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Mazur
                          Keo, that is an amazing looking fish....... makes me miss the one I lost bad. Now ya done it, I am again on a quest for one of those beauties.
                          Yes, My story is truly about the fish that got away.... Just couldnt pull the trigger.. Oh well wanst meant to be I guess..

Joe

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                          Working...
                          X