Help me understand - Fry question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me understand - Fry question

I had an unplanned spawn 3/14. I put some eggs in a 100 gallon stock tank with air to see if they'd hatch because I didn't think I had a male in the mud pond.

They hatched. When the fry were large enough to move, I moved them to a 150 gallon stock tank. There were 15 left in the 100 gallon that I couldn't see. I left about 4" of water in that tank with no air and no food for weeks. The temps varied from low 80's in the day to 30-40's at night. The babies in the 150 had air, food and more water for the temp swings.

When I found the 15 left in the 4" of water, they were about 3/4" long where the others were still eyelash size. I added air, food and filled the tank.

I divided them again, leaving the 15 in the 100 gallon, 1/2 in the 150 gallon and 1/2 in a 300 gallon stock tank. All have air and food.

The 15 babies are now 2-3" long, the ones in the 150 gallon are about 1/2" and the ones in the 300 gallon are slightly smaller than the 1/2".

NOW, I have 30-50 babies that hatched in the mud pond. They are smaller than the 3-4" fish in the least amount of water.

I can't figure this out. All these babies are from the same spawn, in the same water, fed the same food, the same number of times a day.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

course just throwing darts at a wall blind folded.

the ones left in little water for weeks.
    maybe with that little of water it stay better temp being right at ground and no air to move it around to cool.also with the no movement of air bugs liked it better and layed eggs in there for the little babies to eat.

or you are just lucky at culling and sorting koi
    Paul Korf

member of:
    Midwest Pond and Koi Society
    Louisville Koi club
    IKONA

Comment

Originally posted by pskorf View Post
      course just throwing darts at a wall blind folded.

the ones left in little water for weeks.
      maybe with that little of water it stay better temp being right at ground and no air to move it around to cool.also with the no movement of air bugs liked it better and layed eggs in there for the little babies to eat.

or you are just lucky at culling and sorting koi
      I think you are probably closer to right than you might think.
      The "abandoned" fry were in what "we" presume to be the poorest conditions, but if their neglected water became naturally populated with daphnia, went green to moderate the ammonia levels, and the larger among them feasted on smaller "sibling sushi" you weren't even aware of as they grew...they were at an advantage. We had a similar experience years ago with some fry that hatched in the pond and another a few years later when a "water garden" hatchery became a "perfect storm" of live food for fry to thrive on.
      There is no substitute for nature, and sometimes nature inserts itself in unexpected ways
      Larry Iles
      Oklahoma

Comment

Paul, the higher temp seems to be the general consensus on the Pond Forum. It seemed like the temp swings would have done more harm.

I didn't cull anyone. Those babies were in the green water and I couldn't see them.

I was considering putting them all in the mud but these seem to be growing better than the ones that hatched in the mud. I also don't want to overcrowd the mud pond with all these babies.
        The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
        SANDY

Comment

.... and where are the pics young lady? hmmm.

Comment

Larry, you're probably right. It was the only pond with green water.

Kevin, the pics I took didn't come out. I'll take some tomorrow if I have time.
            SANDY

Comment

Here are some old pics.
              Attached Files
              SANDY

Comment

Are those last 2 mud pond pics or from the tubs?

Comment

The last 2 are mud pond pics from 2 weeks ago.
                  SANDY

Comment

Originally posted by kntry View Post
                    Larry, you're probably right. It was the only pond with green water.

I was thinking about this only this morning and thougth that even with the cool evenings the 1oo gallons would warm up quicker=growth.
                    andthis is the first I have seen/heard you say the smaller water situation was the only green waters of the three

Comment

TOBIE protien formula!
                      Amanda Bulls-Stephens
                      Creator of "The Tail End"
                      Central California Koi Society

Comment

I'd imagine there could have been a few other babies I missed in that tank but not many.

Meg, that tank was the only one with green water. The other has algae growing on the walls and bottom.
                        SANDY

Comment

also just another thought---as bugs are brought up...I notice lots of squeeters swarming the grow out pool every evening....but, never see any larvae in the pool...stands to reason they are laying in the pool because the pool other than a few air stones is still water...and providing lots of yum-yum larvae for the babies to eat....just one of many things that make the babies grow...green water,warm water, and still water promotes lots of bugs which = bigger babies...
                          Lawanna

Comment

Originally posted by kntry View Post
                            I'd imagine there could have been a few other babies I missed in that tank but not many.

Meg, that tank was the only one with green water. The other has algae growing on the walls and bottom.
                            I suspect green water algae is different than that which grows on walls, I doubt fry would be picking it off the walls to eat but tiny foating algae for little eyelashes, yum

Comment

Originally posted by Meg View Post
                              I suspect green water algae is different than that which grows on walls, I doubt fry would be picking it off the walls to eat but tiny foating algae for little eyelashes, yum
                              Yep, floating algae is definitely different than carpet algae.
                              SANDY

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X