Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kichi Koi Feeder or Koi Cafe?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kichi Koi Feeder or Koi Cafe?

    Has anyone used either one of these and what are your comments. Any recommendations? Which would you buy? Thanks.
  • #2

    Originally posted by slumsden
    Has anyone used either one of these and what are your comments. Any recommendations? Which would you buy? Thanks.
    Koi Cafe feeder needs to be hung over pond, it dispurses the food in one area, chance of koi be injured, we had one and used it for about 2 months our fish where constantly dog pileing. Koi Kichi feeder is an on demand type feeder the fish pull a string and it releases food, problem with that is you could have 1 fish that likes the string and they could dispurse all the food in a very short time. Could cause major water quality issues. I would not use either of these units. I personally like the FOK feeder it is from Japan, it sits on the side of the pond shoots food out in a 90 degree radious. it can be programed to feed every hour if you want, it can also be set to feed what ever amount you want. It plugs in 110 watt. Hikari also makes a really nice feeder but it will set you back around $800.

    Comment

    • #3

      I use a Koi Kichi style on demand feeder and can't fault it, brilliant. Fish learn to use it in no time at all (hours) and never had a problem of over use, even the chag doesn't abuse it. I know of many people who use them and none have had an issue.

      Comment

      • #4

        The FOK feeder is top of the line. Very nice. Loud, but nice.

        On the other hand, I've tried a auto feeder that dropped over an airstone and the food scattered nicely. I set it up that way on purpose and left it by the side of the pond. It was an old bucket type with a hole in the bottom and a swing arm that moved when electricity was applied to the unit.

        But I've loaned that unit out and am now using a Koi Kichi. I've one fish that pulls the string on the Koi Kichi and she meters the food for the rest of them, I think. I meter the food going into the unit -- fill it only halfway at a time. So between the two of us the rest of the fish don't overeat, much.

        Comment

        • #5

          Auto feeder comparisons

          The FOK feeder allows one to control both the amount of food to be metered out and the frequency of feeding (both of which should change with the water temperature).

          It also widely disperses the food over the pond's surface (ours throws 14' plus), allowing the tosai to feed without having to bang with the big boys.

          Since (as Nancy M. mentioned) there are dangers of 1) injury and 2) overfeeding with the other two feeders, they're not in the same league with the FOK feeder -- IF you can afford it and IF you really care about your koi. Don
          Don Chandler
          Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

          Comment

          • #6

            I use an FOK feeder when I'm away.

            When I'm home i prefer to feed them myself. because

            I want control of how much they eat. ( i don't overfeed )

            I want to see how their appetites are and if I can see anything in the way of scrape or injury when they are feeding.
            Dick Benbow

            Comment

            • #7

              Originally posted by dick benbow
              I want to see how their appetites are and if I can see anything in the way of scrape or injury when they are feeding.
              Hello Dick,

              Could not agree more. As Jason S. mentioned, the FOK is kinda loud -- around here it sorta works like an alarm clock.

              In SoCal, our doors and windows are almost always open. So when the machine starts pinging I'm alerted to come view the feeding and observe the herd. Ain't technology wonderful? Don
              Don Chandler
              Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

              Comment

              • #8

                why not a dog feeder/dispencer with a titmer ? costs a lot less.

                stan

                Comment

                • #9

                  Originally posted by saratogatan
                  why not a dog feeder/dispencer with a titmer ? costs a lot less.

                  stan
                  Tan, do you have one setup? I'd like to see this auto feeder for kicks..


                  Joe
                  It's a living creature (chit happens)

                  Comment

                  • #10

                    Originally posted by KoiCop
                    there are dangers of 1) injury and 2) overfeeding with the other two feeders, they're not in the same league with the FOK feeder -- IF you can afford it and IF you really care about your koi. Don
                    I'm insulted by your comment, to suggest that I don't 'really care about my koi' because I haven't wasted $700 on a feeder is out of order.

                    I have used an auto feeder (not the fok, I couldn't afford one) and once I saw an on demand feeder at work I built one straight away and threw the auto feeder away. With my auto feeder there was lots of bumping and barging whenever it dispensed and often the smaller koi or the less bold would not get any food. They would not eat at all if I where to go on holiday. With the on demand feeder there is no mad rush to eat, no bumping and barging, just a leisurely feed whenever they are hungry, not whenever I decide they should be hungry. One fish usually pulls the cord and the others eat, as there is no hurry ALL the fish get fed, if not they can simply serve themselves afterwards rather than go hungry. Everything is much calmer now, they have something to do, something to make them think, and daft as it sounds they have a little bit of independence.

                    I can assure you, I care very much for my koi and having used both alternatives, I believe I have chosen what is best for them. The fact that it cost me $30 to make and looks very nice (oriental design) hanging over my pond rather than $700 and a big ugly black 'thing' sat on my pond wall, using electricity and sounding dreadful, is just an added bonus.

                    Each to their own, everyones opinions differ and to some the fok feeder is ideal, but I take exception to the insinuation that if I cared for my koi I would buy one.

                    Comment

                    • #11

                      I'm using the Koi Kichi Buffet feeder. It took my fish a while to train (mostly my fault). Most all of the fish can activate it. If you keep the feeder stocked, Koi well fed, there is very little aggresive "dog pileing", the fish calmly and gently eat since there is always food available. The bigger issue is that fish are fed in greater quanities, and the filtration of most ponds is not up to the challenge. Tosai are growing like weeds!

                      Comment

                      • #12

                        I really don't think koicop was trying to insult you or anyone else on this board. I think he was just trying to say that the Fok feeder is an excellent feeder. And we all love our koi, or else we would not be on this board trying to gain more knowledge.
                        Originally posted by [email protected]
                        I'm insulted by your comment, to suggest that I don't 'really care about my koi' because I haven't wasted $700 on a feeder is out of order.

                        I have used an auto feeder (not the fok, I couldn't afford one) and once I saw an on demand feeder at work I built one straight away and threw the auto feeder away. With my auto feeder there was lots of bumping and barging whenever it dispensed and often the smaller koi or the less bold would not get any food. They would not eat at all if I where to go on holiday. With the on demand feeder there is no mad rush to eat, no bumping and barging, just a leisurely feed whenever they are hungry, not whenever I decide they should be hungry. One fish usually pulls the cord and the others eat, as there is no hurry ALL the fish get fed, if not they can simply serve themselves afterwards rather than go hungry. Everything is much calmer now, they have something to do, something to make them think, and daft as it sounds they have a little bit of independence.

                        I can assure you, I care very much for my koi and having used both alternatives, I believe I have chosen what is best for them. The fact that it cost me $30 to make and looks very nice (oriental design) hanging over my pond rather than $700 and a big ugly black 'thing' sat on my pond wall, using electricity and sounding dreadful, is just an added bonus.

                        Each to their own, everyones opinions differ and to some the fok feeder is ideal, but I take exception to the insinuation that if I cared for my koi I would buy one.

                        Comment

                        • #13

                          I still feel feeding your fish by hand is still the best. Atleast you can monitor the fishes daily intake and they can't become "pigs". There are always something to make our hobby easier and I think the time you spend hand feeding your fish will give you time to examine any problems with them.
                          The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

                          Comment

                          • #14

                            Originally posted by Nancy M.
                            I really don't think koicop was trying to insult you or anyone else on this board. I think he was just trying to say that the Fok feeder is an excellent feeder. And we all love our koi, or else we would not be on this board trying to gain more knowledge.

                            True Dat!

                            Not an insult.. its all for education... When all said and done we all come out a with a bit of knowledge... as always its your pond and your koi do what you want. As long as you are doing it 100% the best you can..

                            Joe
                            It's a living creature (chit happens)

                            Comment

                            • #15

                              Originally posted by keokoi
                              True Dat!

                              Not an insult.. its all for education... When all said and done we all come out a with a bit of knowledge... as always its your pond and your koi do what you want. As long as you are doing it 100% the best you can..

                              Joe
                              Joe, 110% sounds better....
                              The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

                              Comment

                              All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X