Pick the shiro utsuri...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick the shiro utsuri...

Can somebody help me pick the shiro here?
    Attached Files

3rd from the right, dead center of photo....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Blatt
      3rd from the right, dead center of photo....lol

dan your crazy that one should sliped the culling process. The one 5 down from where Dan picked then 7.5 to the left of that. Yeah that one.. Thats the next ringer.. for sure..

Joe
      It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Since you guys seem to be game for this. Whatcha think of these? (Kohaku this time. The parents are in the first photos, a couple of fish I thought were worth keeping in the next two photos.)
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS
          Since you guys seem to be game for this. Whatcha think of these? (Kohaku this time. The parents are in the first photos, a couple of fish I thought were worth keeping in the next two photos.)

Parents look good. Some of those fry are not bad. would be interesting to watch. You can tell who the big eaters are. IS this your breeding faciltiy? and what Lineage are parents from?

Joe
          It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Not my facility, not my fish, I just helped out a bit over the past few months.

I forget who bred each of the parents. One is a Momotaro, one is Matsunosuke, one is Suda, and the other I'd need to look up later in week. All parents are japanese bred fish.

Comment

Cool Jason, is this out of someone's house?
              The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Not exactly. It is a joint venture between a hobbyist breeder and a professional fish farm. The fish farm raised and raises catfish, trout, bass, sturgeon and now koi. They also have a waterski pond.

The majority of the kohaku went into a large mudpond for growout (1 acre? not sure), the keeper shiros, showas, and a small amount of kohaku went into another large mudpond. The culls from those all went into a 2 acre mudpond that currently has other fish (we might not get any culls back at the end of summer or they might all do fine).

The metallics went into their own large mudpond next to the kohaku and keepers.

I brought a few of the tobies home and will likely introduce them to my Q pond in a few weeks. In the meantime they are my 'inside fish'. Cute little beggars can just about handle an Ogata medium size pellet.

Comment

Shiro fries culling, wait there, hold it!

To JasonS:
                  Your picture of Shiro baby fries are way too minute small for a old-fogey's viewing.
                  To do selection is too early for Shiro variety.
                  The white ones must be withheld.
                  They may offer the better shiroji shine in the long run.
                  Sad to say, you may be totally disappointed by keeping those with sumi at birth.
                  These may be overwhelmed and appear too dark when grown up.
                  Brought home fries, yours now. So update old-BK on their growth.
                  With luck, God bless, Madison, BK.

Comment

Thanks for the culling tips.

The culls (including the white utsuris) went into the other pond, so maybe that's where the good shiros will come from.

Find out in a few months. For now we just let the mudponds do the work.

Comment

It looks to me that some of those Shiro fry have a touch of orange beginning to show, as if they might be Showa? Seems too young for that. Is it just the lighting playing with my eyes?

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                      Working...
                      X