Word of the day.. Yamabuki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word of the day.. Yamabuki

Ok here ya go .. Yamabuki.. Yes we know its yellow but how did this name come about???

Joe
    It's a living creature (chit happens)

Murasaki had prepared the floral offerings.
    She chose eight of her prettiest little girls to deliver them,
    dressing four as birds and four as butterflies.
    The birds brought cherry blossoms in silver vases,
    the butterflies yamabuki in gold.
    From "The Tale of Genji" by Murasaki Shikibu,
    translated by Edward G. Seidensticker (Penguin Books)

The simple, pure-yellow flowers of the yamabuki are borne in arching sprays with tender, bright-green leaves, and can still be found growing wild in the mountains. In literature, its Japanese name is sometimes translated as "mountain rose" or "yellow rose," although the original implies a mountain breeze or spray. William Kerr, the first plant hunter to live in China, introduced the shrub to the West in the early 1800s, where the double variety was affectionately called "bachelor's buttons," because of its showy spring display.

The Japan Times: Apr. 12, 2001

Comment

i HAVE IT PLANTED IN MY JAPANESE GARDEN, 4 FEET FROM THE ARCHED BRIDGE OVER THE POND. iT'S VERY AGGRESSIVE AND SPREADS LIKE CRACY!
      Dick Benbow

Comment

Very interesting and great explanation Dan.
        Regards, Bob
        ><{{{{º> ><{{{{º> ><{{{{º>
        <º}}}}>< <º}}}}><

Comment

Bob...just happened to find it. Found it interesting also....

Comment

I can see I don't have NEARLY enough reference books for this game!!
            ChrisC

Comment

Originally posted by keokoi
              Ok here ya go .. Yamabuki.. Yes we know its yellow but how did this name come about???

Joe
              Joe,

Yama(mountain) bu(here meaning blow) ki(yellow, here meaning gold) so Yamabuki mean 'mountain blowing gold'. I might be wrong of course.

SF

Comment

Yamabuki is a koi everyone should have in their pond...It balances out all the gosankes and brings the pond together aesthetically...

Dan: Glad to see that Penguins are still a part of your life...

Aloha, Mike T

Comment

hi all

i allways thought that it meant chrisanthenum
                  regards
                  lee

Comment

There is a lot of imagery evoked by many of the Japanese words used to describe koi, their markings, patterns, etc. Our usual translations are too utilitarian to capture the images implicit in the Japanese words. "Mountain blowing gold" might not be exactly right (I don't know), but I suspect it captures the sense of the poetry of the word better than "golden yellow".

Vimes: Yes, I've seen it described as "chrysanthemum yellow". Probably the result of an effort to describe the shade of yellow?

Dick: I've only seen Kerria in pictures in garden books and catalogs meant for more northern climes. They show a bright clear yellow, like Forsythia. A Yamabuki that perfectly yellow would be a treat!

Comment

MikeM,

Indeed "mountain blowing gold" may not be the correct meaning for I have directly translated from the Janpanese kanji writting "山吹黄金".

SF

Comment

You saw that Mike....good eye!

Comment

Kerria japonica

Kerria japonica

Comment

to me the flower is gold not yellow. Don't know if soil affects them but all in this area i see are same gold color. I got mine from an american of japanese ancestry who at the time was head of the green tea ceremony society in america. She had a team of garden/builders come from japan and build her garden and tea room so it's all authentic.
                            Dick Benbow

Comment

Mike M.

Brady Brandwood has the most beautiful "Yellow" Yama that I've ever seen...SMG calls him Double Yellow... Hopefully Brady sees this post and will post a picture of him...

Aloha! Mike T

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X