sweet potatoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sweet potatoes

Has anyone fed sweet potatoe to their koi. Gave them a bite of off the dinner plate last night and they seemed to really enjoy it. Any nutritional downside to this?
    KIEFER

I've heard great stuff about sweet potatoes. I feed it to mine once a week. Haven't been doing it long so I don't know if there are any drawbacks yet.
    Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Comment

Originally posted by jnorth
      I've heard great stuff about sweet potatoes. I feed it to mine once a week. Haven't been doing it long so I don't know if there are any drawbacks yet.
      I recently watched the Momotaro vid and I'm sure that I saw someone cutting and feeding sweet potatoes to the koi.
      KIEFER

Comment

Stuff is great to use, gives your koi and different diet...Keokoi uses it...
        The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Like you, I also saw Maeda using sweet potatoes as a food supplement. When I feed them I like too steam them first and then cube them up and feed.

The fish go absolutely nuts for them more than any other feed I have tried, including shrimp. I use only as a treat and have found that no matter how small I cube them they are never digested totally. Hence the smaller pieces in my pump basket the next day.

Comment

I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but isn't sweet potato mainly starch/carbohydrate?
            Bancherd

Thai Koi-Keepers' Group

Comment

Rice, potatoas, spagetti .. are all carbohydrates, they can be given some times to the fishes, but they have to be really well koocked because if they aren't the kind of carbohydrate can't be digest by them. Try just a few long spagetti, it's a good way to teach them to be feed by hand.

Comment

Sweet potato should be well cooked for the fish's digestive organs to break it down. Yes, Momotaro does feed Sweet Potatoes, squash, tofu and other things that are in season in that area. That lady you see in the video perpares the items to be feed everyday.

For these fish to maintain their size they have to have a balanced mixed diet, they are fed high protein food to build the muscle and the high carbs to build fat. These 2 factors build the conformation that they are looking for in jumbo koi.

I feed about twice a week with my sweet potato paste to build conformation, it works well for my fish and they love it.
                The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Originally posted by marco
                  Rice, potatoas, spagetti .. are all carbohydrates, they can be given some times to the fishes, but they have to be really well koocked because if they aren't the kind of carbohydrate can't be digest by them. Try just a few long spagetti, it's a good way to teach them to be feed by hand.

Ok carbs are not carbs.. Many other sources of carbs have nutrition in them..

Sweet Potatoes have Carotene, Fiber, Folic acid, Magnesium, and yes carbs.. But these do much more than than a pasta or white rice.

I think looking at the big picture you have to look beyond the simple nutrition facts of each individual ingredients...

IMHO

Joe
                  It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Sweet potato also contains some protien.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie Ramo
                      Sweet potato also contains some protien.

about 2 grams of protein it has. Not enough as a daily allowance but yes you are correct that it does have some but very little in the big picture of things..

Joe
                      It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Hi Guys,

i have been looking into different foods recently and was wondering the best way to prepare the sweet potato before giving it to the koi.

Is it best to boil them or steam them and do we mash it up or just feed in cubes????

Thanks
                        Regards

Gazza

Comment

Originally posted by GazKoi
                          Hi Guys,

i have been looking into different foods recently and was wondering the best way to prepare the sweet potato before giving it to the koi.

Is it best to boil them or steam them and do we mash it up or just feed in cubes????

Thanks
                          I have had good success with boiling and then cubing them. Steaming them may be better for retaining vitamins though

Comment

Sorry Joe, I didn't mean to imply it had lots of protien, just that food is not fitting into categories as cleaning as we might think.

Steamed or baked or microwaved and then cubed, same with squash. Summer squash can be fed grated and raw. Some cook broccoli but I just chop it up fine and they seem to like it well enough

For those interested in nutrional content of foods, for themselves or their fish here is a link I use. I use for the dogs as I home cook/raw their diet.

http://www.nutritiondata.com/nutrient-search.html

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                            Working...
                            X