Is it OK if I cry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it OK if I cry?

Came home today from being out of town for a few days to find my tancho losing it's beni. She's been in the pond for about 6 months and is 20" long.

Here she is a few months ago.

and here she is tonight. :0(

I also have another Kohaku that the beni is breaking up on. What's up with all of this? Could it be from the Proform-C I used in the pond?

Tom

Keep it simple, keep it straight Koi-Bito.com

Tom:

So, So, Sorry.... Experienced the same thing a couple of months ago, even looked the same... Tried Debride to no avail, just kept peeling off until I ended up with a bekko... To make matters worse I put him in a Q tank and I guess he was so mortified to loose his tancho that he committed Hari Kiri that night by jumping out of the tank... Although the cover was held shut by a folded tarp, he must of hit the crease between the cover and tank at just the right angle to slip through... Was the first Koi we've ever lost this go around... so know how you feel... Please don't tell me it was an Ogata Tancho...

Aloha! Mike

Comment

Tom my Tancho, had the exact same look to it last fall, but I suspected it was going in the skimmer and scraping the color off. One day it started getting better and now it is perfect again, my Shiro on thie other hand lived with it's head in the skimmer, and scraped off tons of stripes on his Sumi. I have since made a stainless grate to cover the opening and keep the fish out, I am hoping that the Shiro will get it's Sumi back as well.
      “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Comment

what was the beautful tancho - a perfect round red circles centered
        on the head and excellent shiro too.

seems like it is not only losing the beni, but the shiro is down and
        very much in stress as well.

And Tom, if you could, it is OK to ... and you know we share your pain.

The Q is, can the beni come back one day or will be part of the history forever?

Comment

I used proform-c and the same thing happened. Tried to rule it out, but maybe it is, if happened to you too. Check out my pics in "what do you think of these kohaks" Sad!
          Originally posted by Tom C
          Came home today from being out of town for a few days to find my tancho losing it's beni. She's been in the pond for about 6 months and is 20" long.

Here she is a few months ago.

and here she is tonight. :0(

I also have another Kohaku that the beni is breaking up on. What's up with all of this? Could it be from the Proform-C I used in the pond?

Tom
          Nor-Cal Koi Unit KOI ADDICTED AND NEED NO CURE!

Comment

Is the fish feeding well? It just looks a little thin and out of condition in the second picture. I've seen this happen in the past with fish as they come in from mud pond overwintering only for it to return to normal as it got some weight back on and came back into condition.

Comment

Tom C - Damn, man what can we say...my condolences...Never had a tancho before and right now I am trying one out that keokoi gave me.

Dinh - Beni always never comes back unlike sumi...

Cocoboy - Nice Shiro/Bekko at least it isn't a shiro muji...
              The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

The koi look outstanding up until I treaded the pond with Proform-C for some Trichodina. Then this koi got a white film to the beni and the sumi went back a little on it. Over the last week the koi has got a little thinner, but not much. I'm thinking the Proform-C maybe stressed it out. The beni was not scrape on anything. It's just going away. If it goes away anymore it will be junked. What gets me is the koi is not a real young koi. The koi is three years old now and 20". I thought for sure the tancho would never go away on this one. I think the trick for me is to stay away for gosanke's.

Mike no it was not Ogata. :0)

Tom

Comment

Tom

So sorry, Frank and I had a Gin Rin tancho Sanke, she was beautiful. Excellent sumi, perfect circular Tancho, Tight Gin.. She lost her whole Tancho.. The only thing that didn't make us cry was. She turned into a really nice becko.. We bought her as a tosia and she lost her beni about a year later.. I want another one, we actually purchased a new one last October from Igarashi but we lost her in the quake. Maybe we will try again this year.. Tancho's are very unpredictable.

Comment

I am aware of a Sanke that developed splotches in the Hi following treatment with Pro-form C. However, I would not ascribe cause & effect to it. There is much in the literature about loss of Hi accompanying all sorts of treatments, including salt. Stress is often said to be the catalyst for Hi loss, but nobody seems to have pinpointed any particular stress...pH, ammonia, parasites, temperature, oxygen levels, etc etc. Perhaps it was the Pro-form C, or perhaps it was the stress of whatever they had which needed treatment, or exposure to any treatment while already stressed by some parasite.

Another reason to be cautious and remember the Benbow mantra: Don't treat unless you know what you are treating and have no other choice.

Comment

Tom C... I think koi makes you humble.. Sometimes crying is part of the hobby as well..

Got a pic of my ehem I mean your Ogawa Kohak?

Joe
                      It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Joe, I will get a picture of the Ogawa Kohaku later today.

Tom

Comment

Here's the Ogawa Kohaku. This koi looked great also just two weeks ago. Now you can see the beni is starting to fade in areas. Sorry it's not the best picture.

Comment

WOW got mudpond???? I could see what you say... Dunno what to say...
                            It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Any ideas what could have caused this? I will give up if it happens to anymore.

Tom

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X