Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new addition to the gang! what do you guys think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new addition to the gang! what do you guys think?

Here is my new shiro

1 year old
    omosako

I think he/she has a great pontential! Tell me what you think.
    Attached Files

One year old? ...It has been well cared for over the past 4 months compared to most dealer inventory fish.

If I had to guess, I'd say male, but I've got no confidence in the guess. I'm mainly looking at the pectorals.

What I like is the thickness of the body post-dorsal. Too many Shiros are too thin in the tail for the thickness of the front half of the body. This one looks like good potential on the body. I'm curious how long it has been held in inventory. I'd guess it was held back in Japan and imported in May? If so, this might indicate that it was among the "keepers" and went to market rather than a mud pond only at the end of the last selection. It will be interesting to see how it develops over the rest of the summer months with lots of food available.

Comment

I bet its a female. Pec fins to round not pointed enough. Let us know if the koi is a male or female when the time comes

Comment

If its true about yellow head, and I dont think it is then it would be a male.

Comment

Hi Mike,

The shipment just arrived 2 weeks ago.

The shiro is from Genki. Fresh out from QT.

I usually have 1st pick when shipments come.

I am NOT too sure about the age but it's about 9" so I was guessing 1 year old. This is the best selection from omosako this year besides the bigger ones coming in October (if there's any )

The shiro does have excellent body as you said + the white ground is unbelievable. The yellow head MIGHT indicate a female (I REALLY HOPE SO, TOO )

Comment

don't worry about the yellow head. When it's three it will just be a pleasant memory!

very nice koi!

next time some blue fish come in be sure and get first pick.
            Dick Benbow

Comment

Damn that's the one I wanted... Naw just kidding, I wanted the heavy sumi pattern one. Never had a Omosako Shiro would like to try one thou have to talk to Genki...But wish you luck on raising this one, maybe it will help you forget the Orenji...
              The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

[QUOTE=koiloco]Hi Mike,

The shipment just arrived 2 weeks ago.

The shiro is from Genki. Fresh out from QT.

I usually have 1st pick when shipments come.

QUOTE]

WOW! first pick....

anyhow nice shiro have fun with it..
                It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Hi Joe,

You're back, how's vacation? Hope it was fun!!!

Regarding 1st pick, you already know why.
                  I always show up the next morning after arrival.
                  But of course, my 1st IS NEVER before you since you always take the koi out from the shipping box (lol)

I ended up not taking the ginrin showa because of the body shape. when it was in QT it looked really good, but when Kev. took it outside, it started eating and Oh man, the belly was not very nice, let's put it that way.

Anyway, good to have you back.

Comment

Hey aquitori,

are you talking about the one with a lot of black and a face with half black , half white?

If it is the one, it's one unique shiro!

Comment

Kevin (Genki Koi for those who are wondering) has developed a good relationship with Omosako. He had a very nice batch of 6+" tosai early in the year and always seems to have a very nice nisai or older available on his website. I am not aware of another U.S. dealer who has Omosako so regularly. I'm thinking this little one almost made it into the mud pond for the season. Nice tosai find.

KFG: Like Dick says, don't focus on the yellow head. One of the great things about koikeeping is that all the general "rules" have exceptions. Nobody will ever learn them all because koi genetics are continually re-mixed. Generally a yellow head like in the photo would be an indicator that the fish is male, but with Omosako's Shiro Utsuri it is common for them to have yellow heads (and even yellowish bodies) when young. All koi can be yellowish when coming out of a mud pond due to the mud particulates staining the outer mucous layer. This tends to disappear after the fish is in clean water. I've seen photos of young Omosako tosai coming out of a mud pond that were doing an excellent imitation of weak colored Ki Utsuri! .......Wish I knew more about yellowish heads on definitely female Kohaku. Seeing more of them it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by koiloco
                        Hi Joe,

You're back, how's vacation? Hope it was fun!!!

Regarding 1st pick, you already know why.
                        I always show up the next morning after arrival.
                        But of course, my 1st IS NEVER before you since you always take the koi out from the shipping box (lol)

I ended up not taking the ginrin showa because of the body shape. when it was in QT it looked really good, but when Kev. took it outside, it started eating and Oh man, the belly was not very nice, let's put it that way.

Anyway, good to have you back.

Fun hahaha.. It was fun but I wasnt where I wanted to be...

1st pick... maybe but I never buy anyhow. I usuaully save all my pennies for Japan... I got a long way to go in this hobby so no rush to have all the koi I want.

Yeah I help unpack them but too busy really to look.. When one catches my eye I look at it later (LOL)...... one thing is for sure is I am lucky to see so many top quality koi come in... Now I just gotta understand them more...

Joe

Comment

Oh yeah I have to add. Most of you who know me kow that I am always willing to pass on a koi if the other wants it that bad.... I don't mind one bit..If another wants to buy it then that is cool with me...

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                          Working...
                          X