What Is the best filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is the best filter

For a koi pond I want to build another pOnd is it better to buy a Laguna pressure flo filter or another one or should I just build pond what is better thanks

There is no 'best' filter. Each has different attributes. Review the threads in the pond construction forum and you will get ideas about the attributes of the different types.

Comment

I think there may be a bit of a conflict. Laguna and similar product lines are best left to the water gardening set. I can not see those on a serious koi pond.

When considering any filter system for a koi pond:
      total gallons to filter
      target flow rate (so that total pond turnover is in the 1 hour range)
      there are clearly definable functions/chamber for mechanical separation and bio conversion.
      Both the mechanical and bio stages are easy to clean with out get soaked or losing media. (the easier it is to clean a filter the greater the probability you will clean it regularly)
      Is the pond to gravity feed the filters (better idea) or pump fed the filters (not so good an idea)

Needless to say for a koi pond....there should be at least one skimmer and one bottom drain with an air dome in the pond. If not....fix the pond design.
      Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Comment

How big is your pond going to be and how many fish are you going to keep in it?

Comment

give some thought to what david has asked, then read this..... http://www.atlantakoiclub.org/calend...ilteration.pdf

and then ask questions.....

Comment

There are many good filters.
            In my opinion a Bakki Shower is the best choice of them all.
            Altough it has a couple of things that can be a bit o a problem (noise).

Best regards,
            Gerwin

Comment

while a bakki shower is great when the air temp is warm, it is not a good choice as the air temps go below 50F. The shower will chill the water and you want a koi pond to stay in the high 40s if at all possible. So even in mild Atlanta, my showers (on the skimmer circuit) are by passed January-March. I continue to run the sieves and bead filters which are on the bottom drains during the winter.

I suggest no one filter is perfect. A good koi pond system is about producing good water conditions 24/7/365. Your local conditions, pond design, and stocking levels may dictate using several different techniques in parallel.

Have you noticed, we never said what a perfect filter would look like. Has anyone seen a filter that has:
              no CAPEX (purchase cost)
              no OPEX (no electrify or gas utilities)
              no maintenance (truly self cleaning)
              no floor space (you can put it anywhere)
              no freeze risk (it can be outside in coldest winter)

and produces stable, ideal water conditions regardless of stocking and feeding levels?

I think we are a long way from a perfect filter for our hobby.
              Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Comment

bottom drain

Originally posted by MCA View Post
                I think there may be a bit of a conflict. Laguna and similar product lines are best left to the water gardening set. I can not see those on a serious koi pond.

total gallons to filter
                there are clearly definable functions/chamber for mechanical separation and bio conversion.
                Both the mechanical and bio stages are easy to clean with out get soaked or losing media. (the easier it is to clean a filter the greater the probability you will clean it regularly)
                Is the pond to gravity feed the filters (better idea) or pump fed the filters (not so good an idea)

Needless to say for a koi pond....there should be at least one skimmer and one bottom drain with an air dome in the pond. If not....fix the pond design.
                Hi,
                I am new to the forum so sorry if I mess this up...

We have had a koi pond(s) for about 12 years now. We are looking into relocating the pond and building a four season structure over it so we can enjoy it more. Lots of glass and the ability to open it up in summer etc.

I wanted to go with a bottom drain, but the guy who may install the pond talks about the risk of the pump failing and pumping dry. Are there systems out there that avoid this? That sounds crazy as it isn't like you can have eyes on 24/7 (only in a perfect world)

Also the space for the actual pond is limited to about 14x 28 (including waterfall and small stream) I want as many gallons as possible and the guy is saying he will "try" to get me 2000. That doesn't suit me and I told him I don't want a "rock pond" to look at - that it is about the koi.

I probably should have put this in the construction but was reading this thread.
                Any thoughts and advice on the structure is appreciated. The structure is mainly due to being lakeside with alot of coon and heron that don't like the front yard. We're moving it to back. Also harsh winters and the deer eat everything. They even get into the pond and eat the lilies now. I want to be able to put my bonsai out there and be with the koi year round.

Kamala

Comment

bottom drain

Originally posted by MCA View Post

total gallons to filter

Hi,

We have had a koi pond(s) for about 12 years now. We are looking into relocating the pond and building a four season structure over it so we can enjoy it more. Lots of glass and the ability to open it up in summer etc.

I wanted to go with a bottom drain, but the guy who may install the pond talks about the risk of the pump failing and pumping dry. Are there systems out there that avoid this? That sounds crazy as it isn't like you can have eyes on 24/7 (only in a perfect world)

Also the space for the actual pond is limited to about 14x 28 (including waterfall and small stream) I want as many gallons as possible and the guy is saying he will "try" to get me 2000. That doesn't suit me and I told him I don't want a "rock pond" to look at - that it is about the koi.

I probably should have put this in the construction but was reading this thread.
                  Any thoughts and advice on the structure is appreciated. The structure is mainly due to being lakeside with alot of coon and heron that don't like the front yard. We're moving it to back. Also harsh winters and the deer eat everything. They even get into the pond and eat the lilies now. I want to be able to put my bonsai out there and be with the koi year round.

Kamala

Comment

Originally posted by Kamala View Post
                    Hi,

Kamala
                    Hi Kamala:

You should probably just start a new discussion asking your questions. It would help if you filled out your profile enough so that we know your general location. Advice meant for someone in Florida USA, or Washington State, USA or Cape Town, SA is all going to be very different!

As a quick pass, virtually everyone that is serious about koi keeping uses a bottom drain - it's simply the easiest and best solution to dealing with the large amounts of waste that koi produce. The risk of the pump itself failing and draining the pond is extremely low - you'd be more likely to have a failure in the plumbing fittings on the outflow side of the system. Fortunately, the PVC/ABS type systems we use in pond keeping are run at much lower pressures than what these components are designed for. Because of that, a properly built system is very unlikely to undergo a catastrophic failure. Here's my point: If your pond installer is opposed to installing a bottom drain, then he's probably not the right person for the job.

For the job you are looking at, you should have some rough budget figures in mind, and you should also understand how much work you would be willing to do yourself. Depending on the structure, the 'greenhouse' type system you are describing could be the most expensive component.

Once again, start a thread in the construction section, include as many details as you can, (pictures are great) and I'll bet you'll get a ton of help.

Best regards,

-t

Comment

advice

Originally posted by webted View Post
                      Hi Kamala:

You should probably just start a new discussion asking your questions. It would help if you filled out your profile enough so that we know your general location. Advice meant for someone in Florida USA, or Washington State, USA or Cape Town, SA is all going to be very different!

As a quick pass, virtually everyone that is serious about koi keeping uses a bottom drain - it's simply the easiest and best solution to dealing with the large amounts of waste that koi produce. The risk of the pump itself failing and draining the pond is extremely low - you'd be more likely to have a failure in the plumbing fittings on the outflow side of the system. Fortunately, the PVC/ABS type systems we use in pond keeping are run at much lower pressures than what these components are designed for. Because of that, a properly built system is very unlikely to undergo a catastrophic failure. Here's my point: If your pond installer is opposed to installing a bottom drain, then he's probably not the right person for the job.

For the job you are looking at, you should have some rough budget figures in mind, and you should also understand how much work you would be willing to do yourself. Depending on the structure, the 'greenhouse' type system you are describing could be the most expensive component.

Once again, start a thread in the construction section, include as many details as you can, (pictures are great) and I'll bet you'll get a ton of help.

Best regards,

-t
                      Hi and thank you
                      I mentioned I am new to the forum, and I am trying to find my way around.

I will go there

Kamala

Comment

What Is the best filter?

I will stick my neck out and say for a simple answer; the Nexus Eazy.

I do not own one or sell them.

But, like others have said, you have to take into consideration several factors.

And somebody is going to say; The best filter is part of a "system".

Comment

Doing a 4 season room around a koi pond is cool. Talk to Steve a High Desert Koi (Untitled Document) as he recently put in a sliding panel enclosure around his pond.

From the way you describe things, the installer from the world of water features or water gardens. There is no way a proper koi pond build these days should be missing basics such as bottom drains with air domes, skimmers..etc. With a gravity feed filter system a failed pump only stops water flowing back to the pond from the filters (which will not overflow).

He is flipping clueless about koi ponds. My koi pond is 10x16x8. Behind one short wall (pond is semi raised) is the filter pit. For filtration on the skimmer circuit I run two short Bakki Showers. On each of the two bottom drains is Cetus sceive that mechanically filters the water before it goes through an Aquadyne 4.4 bead filter. The filter pit is around 6x10.

Yes, better to keep any followups on the construction forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamala View Post
                            Hi,

Kamala
                            ??? In an area 14 x 28 feet, there would be no problem having a 10,000+ gallon pond. But, have to use concrete, etc. Find a builder who insists on having bottom drains and skimmers. Avoid the guy who discourages their use. He knows how to build a shallow lily pond. He is not a koi pond builder.

Comment

The best filter is no filters at all.
                              Akitsushima Tombo

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X