Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who watches the pond while your on vacation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who watches the pond while your on vacation?

What's everyone? Kinda bored and there's a full-moon out, what this has to do with koi dunno...Well anyways, I am goin on vacation for a week, I was wondering what some of you do while you are on vacation and your pond is left alone?
    The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

My neighbor watches over them, he's very "by the book". How much do I feed how often, he asks all the questions, and he knows who to call in a emergency. He has kept koi for 20yrs, so I am lucky to have someone to trust.
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Comment

What precautions do you take before you leave for vacation...Because I leave my trust in my pops, so he knows if something goes wrong someone is goin to get pissed and someone is goin to get blamed.

Comment

Not many, I just do a water change, make sure the filter is clean and if I am gone for to long he'll do one, and clean the filter if need be, he knows my every step, as I am sure your pops does, but I trust myself, in regards to they have made ok for this long in my pond they should be able to survive without me being here. I did have a hicup a couple weeks ago, but I cought it and cleared the problem instantly, if I wouldn't have been here, there would have been trouble. And the main thing is I am never out of reach by phone, so I don't worry to much.

Vacation is to leave all your problems behind and forget about normal life as we know it, and hopefully you don't have to deal with any problems when you return
        “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Comment

Everytime I mention vacation, my wife says "What about the Koi, what about Naosu (our cat)... which equates to NO VACATION... But then again we live in Hawaii, I'm retired, All the beaches are within an hour of our home, and with all the koi, who needs a vacation...

Aloha! Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike T
            Everytime I mention vacation, my wife says "What about the Koi, what about Naosu (our cat)... which equates to NO VACATION... But then again we live in Hawaii, I'm retired, All the beaches are within an hour of our home, and with all the koi, who needs a vacation...

Aloha! Mike
            Damn, everyday is a vacation...lucky SOB!!

Comment

A very knowledgable koi keeper watches over mine while I am away (in fact he knows way more then I do). I even have live streaming video of them I can watch of them from any internet connection. With all that, bad things can still happen and have at my pond anyway.
              Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Comment

I have a set of written instructions that are left by the pump. They cover the Bead Filter operation, location of breaker boxes, where the spare pump and emergency submermisable pump are located, some things to watch out for, e.g. low water level in pond, bad/fishy smell from pond water, location of cloram-x if needed, and an updated list of koi keepers to call if anything unusual happens. The call list is confirmed each time we leave. Feed is pre-measured into baggies. If conditions are okay feeding will be reduced to once per day or stopped entirely. My mother-in-law does the daily feeding and she has watched us feed and is somewhat familiar with how the fish should behave when just swimming and when feeding.

I do not have flow alarms, so there is no one there to watch to make sure the pumps are working. The feeding visit is once per day so that could be a problem with a pump failure lasting for 24 hrs, but I just trust to Murphy taking a vacation the same time we are and that something of that nature will not happen.

Steve

Comment

I travel too much.. My neighbors know to cme check it out when I am gone. they dont feed they just look look at the big goldfish They also know if they have a power failure to come check mine out. I travel a lot so I kinda gamble on it. I so far keep a low stock so I am pretty good and also have a UPS on an air pump to buy me some time..

After all of that I am currently workign something out with Koiloco so when he goes on vacation I can check his pond out vice versa mine. For him I think its a good deal since I live in a Vacation Area.... LOL

But as the sayin goes. If something can go wrong it will. The gamble is there even when you are home....

Aquitori have a godo time in Missou! I'll try to keep Akinosan inline...

Joe
                  It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Hey! I am online, I mean inline. I hate being in line! But seriously now, I told my wife there will be no more vacations. I figure if I keep spending all this money on the Koi, we can't afford a vacation anyway!
                    Koi-Unit
                    " Da Best" Chapter
                    xxx

Comment

I also have a few koi kichi friends ( or our kids) who check on the pond when we are gone. The only way to be safe, if you don't have a conmputer program to alert you to problems.. but even with that, then what?? Call a friend.
                      Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by keokoi

Aquitori have a godo time in Missou! I'll try to keep Akinosan inline...

Joe
                        Koi what the hell is koi? See Joe I already forgot HAHAHAHA...Yeah just goin to chill in a place hotter than Cali..St. Louis 100degrees....Damn!! But anyways, the things men will do to keep their lady happy...Yeah make sure you keep Akinosan in check HAHAHAHAHA....

Comment

recently the kids came home to check on the process of healing for their Mom and we talked about things. It became obvious that they missed going on vacation growing up cause I never wanted to be away from my babies for more than a day trip.

at the time, I had no close neighbors or koi kichi's close enough that i could leave my babies and not worry about them. at the time we had lots of eletrical
                          outages and power would be out for days sometimes as long as 10 days!

I never realized what it meant to them till now so..... I think it's a great idea to have a koi club member you can trust as you do need to get away! Even today the closest person i would trust lives half an hr's drive away!
                          Dick Benbow

Comment

Hey Joe,

I didn't know you live in a VACATION AREA (lol)

That means my area is also one because it's only 40 minutes away !!!

Comment

well after just getting back from the BKKS (bragging)....
                              while gone for 18 days a close friend of the wife's wanted to play at e beach so she came and House sat....
                              I showed her the belt feeders and how to use them. and told her two scoops every day in the big pond, one in the small pond.... I had 60lb of food...about 10lbs should have been left when i got back...about 55lbs were left.
                              The fish looked great.
                              The next door neighbor works in waste water Mgmt....yeah not all of you are this lucky...he came over every other day and purged the filters and checked the pumps and did a water change......

Next year I may have my koi starve for a couple of weeks at the beginning of the Summer. They reallly do look better....might be that they spawned while Iwas away. they have a habit of doing that.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X