Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

Hi,
    I have been a lurker for some time now, been a little squimish about posting. Members here are very knowlegdeable, seen friends here I had met at other forums. Well here goes...
    Today I will have a 40 ft tree removed from my back yard that died from a beetle infestation. Hoping to put a vortex chamber in its place for my pond. One of my regrets was never putting one in in the first place. Pond is 3500 gallons not including filtration. Cheesy cover serves as heron protection.
    Attached Files

Your right Blue, we have plenty of top dogs on this forum and you should have not took so long to post. Bunch of good people here willing to help you. I wish I could help but filteration is something I am not to good at. Hang around you will learn a great deal on this fourm. I know I have.

Comment

Welcome to Bito! I'm sure you will like it here.
      Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Comment

Originally posted by ucpondguy
        Hi,
        I have been a lurker for some time now, been a little squimish about posting. Members here are very knowlegdeable, seen friends here I had met at other forums. Well here goes...
        Today I will have a 40 ft tree removed from my back yard that died from a beetle infestation. Hoping to put a vortex chamber in its place for my pond. One of my regrets was never putting one in in the first place. Pond is 3500 gallons not including filtration. Cheesy cover serves as heron protection.

Its about time you get rid of that thing... LOL Good move on the settlement. Looks like I have to make a trip up.....

Joe
        It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Hi,
          Well welcome!!! No need to be scared to post....Not only are you making room for a vortex, but you'll have fire wood to hangout by the pond on those late summernites by the pond....
          The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Originally posted by keokoi
            Its about time you get rid of that thing... LOL Good move on the settlement. Looks like I have to make a trip up.....

Joe
            Yes, teacher. it is coming down as I am typing this, I am watching them like a hawk so they dont stress out the fish or something worse. Drained @ 600 gallons before they got here, just in case fish jump, they will not hit the cover and hurt themselves.

Let me save some pennies up first to get the vortex

Thanks KFG, Jim for the kind welcome.

Comment

Yes, teacher. it is coming down as I am typing this, I am watching them like a hawk so they dont stress out the fish or something worse. Drained @ 600 gallons before they got here, just in case fish jump, they will not hit the cover and hurt themselves.

Let me save some pennies up first to get the vortex

Thanks KFG, Jim for the kind welcome.
              We need to redor that whole thing.. Get all those bio chambers inline.. Save the hole where the take out the root ball unless they are going to root grind it... But seriousley you should get a good szie settlement and get those other chambers in line so then you will be good.

Joe

Comment

Welcome Aboard,
                The Vortex is a great idea! It looks like you have plenty of room for a bigger pond, so maybe put two or three in!
                Koi-Unit
                " Da Best" Chapter
                xxx

Comment

He has a huge yard! I would put a huge pond ... Ok well maybe just a 12k pond but a huge filter.. The cool thing is he has a drainage ditch back near the fence.. Now that makes it easy for water changes...

Joe

Comment

Yes, my hope for future enhancements to the pond is to improve the filtration. I set up the pond not really knowing what I was doing. Would love to redo everything as Joe says. Wanted to do for a while now. I currently have a bead filter for mech, then a tee. Each end is a filter drum for bio.

Would love to make so that there is a vortex to bead to filter drums together.

Joe just showed me the benefits of a vortex when he helped me set up my 2 300 gallon rubbermaids. Currently using them to grow my 2 month 3 wk old yamabuki fry from an unplanned spawning.

Comment

JUST A QUICK "WELCOME"! Most of us all started by doing things the best we knew and then retro'd to get things done correctly. I never did feel with kids off to college like I could redo completely so i've continued to retro! (LOL)

I just hope and pray all the lurkers at least build a pond with a bottom drain to start with!
                      Dick Benbow

Comment

beetle infestation my a$$!

you killed it to make way for your vortex! good cover story though.

Comment

Originally posted by aragorn
                          beetle infestation my a$$!

you killed it to make way for your vortex! good cover story though.
                          Mike,
                          dont blow my cover...too late. LOL. Updated pics. I wasn't scared of heights until I saw the city worker. Man, thats a sight.

Fish got stressed with all the activity. Some have pink fins. They were fine this morning prior to work being done.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Mike,
                            dont blow my cover...too late. LOL. Updated pics. I wasn't scared of heights until I saw the city worker. Man, thats a sight.

Fish got stressed with all the activity. Some have pink fins. They were fine this morning prior to work being done.

Mike, its more like I was digging my pond and I dug too close to the roots and well the rest is iin the pics... LOL

Joe

Comment

Welcome!

.... There are a lot of lurkers on this board who could make valuable contributions by just speaking up. Some have extraordinary experience in koikeeping, but just do not care to post. An occasional private message shows that some are just shy in public. Others are concerned they will be embarassed, or that their questions are "too dumb", or that their observations are "too ordinary". Never fear. Nobody was born with instinctive knowledge of koikeeping. Just sharing experiences makes a contribution.

Hope the tree roots aren't too thick where you want the vortex placed!

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X