Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bakki shower filter and salt and "defractionater"

So many questions.

Salt in your koi pond. Who here does this? Is there any benefit? I would like some impartial replies. One YouTube video throwing scoop after scoop of salt directly in with his fish. Of course positive responses come from sites trying to sell salt "tonic" type treatments. They are followed by negative comments about salt but "buy this." By salt imam talking about 0.1% concentration only. No higher unless I feel fish are stressed. Any benefit to salting a pond and then water changes if salinity creeps up?

Defractionater? Educate me.

Bakki Shower Filter. Any pointers? I really am trying to FINALLY get into this hobby the right way and redesign my pond. My "pet store quality" koi are going to take over the world. American, European, and yes Japanese koi keepers FEAR ME!

The Bakki shower I am looking at is a 3 stage one. And I want it to spill over to a trough and water fall. A defractionater can be fed by my bio ball filter.

A whole lot of info. Now pick it apart guys and hurt my feelings :-(

If you search this forum you will find lots of threads discussing these topics in depth.

As to salt, do not use unless you have a reason to use it.

Comment

Salt in your koi pond. Who here does this? Is there any benefit? I would like some impartial replies. One YouTube video throwing scoop after scoop of salt directly in with his fish. Of course positive responses come from sites trying to sell salt "tonic" type treatments. They are followed by negative comments about salt but "buy this." By salt imam talking about 0.1% concentration only. No higher unless I feel fish are stressed. Any benefit to salting a pond and then water changes if salinity creeps up?
      Anyone can say or do or not do anything on the Internet. You have to qualify your information sources. Ask those YouTubers how many years they have been keeping koi, which clubs they have joined, which koi show awards their fish have won. On this site you have very experienced koi keepers, certified judges, and even the ZNA District Chairman. Very hard to have a better crowd to vet your ideas.

Below is a list of koi reference materials I compiled several years ago. Can't remember any authors pushing routine elevated salinity.

Books
      Koi Kichi
      Koi 2 Kichi
      Koi Living Jewels of the Orient
      Tetra Encyclopedia of Koi
      The Completely Illustrated Guide to Koi
      Koi Appreciation: The First Step
      Kokugyo Volume 1
      Kokugyo Volume 2
      Manual of Koi Health
      Koi Health and Disease 2006 Reload
      Step by Step Advanced Koi Diagnosis & Treatments
      Advanced Koi Care
      The Koi Doctor
      Koi A Handbook on Keeping Nishikigoi
      The Cult of the Koi
      Koi for Dummies
      Textbook of Nishikigoi
      Manual of Nishikigoi
      Modern Nishikigoi
      Nishikigoi, Fancy Koi
      Koi for Home and Garden

Magazines
      KOIUSA (magazine of AKCA)
      Koi (former Koi Ponds and Gardens)
      Koi Carp (magazine of BKKS)
      Nichirin (magazine of ZNA)
      Nishikigoi International

DVD magazines
      KoiFixx (excellent series by Brady)

On-line koi magazines
      Koi-Bito
      Rinko

DVDs and Tapes
      Living Jewels series (10 plust a "Best of")
      Koi Keepers series (5 released)
      Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Koi
      Pond Construction
      Koi Carp Master Class: Starting Out
      Advanced Koi Keeping (oldie but goodie by Brady)
      Project: Koi Pond

Note on the DVDs and tapes: Many of the above titles are in PAL format from Europe. So your computer should be able to play them. But for you to see them on your DVD player and TV, the DVD player may need to be both "region free" and be able to convert PAL to NTSC (North American video standard).
      Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Comment

Defractionater? Educate me.
        I think this is an area where you can educate yourself.

Do some searches on this site and on the Internet in general. You will find foam fractionates have a long history with aquariums where the water is encouraged to generate foam which captures the Dissolved Organic Compounds (DOC). A foam fractionator can be all wet with current or counter current designs. They can also be wet/dry like a trickle tower with a cranked up flow rate. See link below.

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/main-f...-1800-gph.html
        Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Comment

Bakki Shower Filter. Any pointers? I really am trying to FINALLY get into this hobby the right way and redesign my pond. My "pet store quality" koi are going to take over the world. American, European, and yes Japanese koi keepers FEAR ME!

The Bakki shower I am looking at is a 3 stage one. And I want it to spill over to a trough and water fall. A defractionater can be fed by my bio ball filter.
          Not sure what you mean by 3 stages. Mine is pump fed at the top and the cascades down through 3 boxes of bakki house media. So it is really only one function/stage. See link below and read attachments.

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/pond-c...i-showers.html

Comment

Originally posted by MCA View Post
            Not sure what you mean by 3 stages. Mine is pump fed at the top and the cascades down through 3 boxes of bakki house media. So it is really only one function/stage. See link below and read attachments.

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/pond-c...i-showers.html

3 stages just means a max of 3 trays. Would like to try the official Bakki filter media, then looking for other choices for the two trays. Is sand an option with one tray? A screen or cloth o. Bottom strong enough to hold up and keep flow without pouring sand out of the holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Algaemaster View Post
              3 stages just means a max of 3 trays. Would like to try the official Bakki filter media, then looking for other choices for the two trays. Is sand an option with one tray? A screen or cloth o. Bottom strong enough to hold up and keep flow without pouring sand out of the holes.
              No.

Try a bio-ball type of plastic media large enough to stay in place. I have the Bacteria House media. It works fine, but I do not consider it it superior. The bio-ball types are much lighter, which can be a good thing when maintenance requires disassembly.

Comment

Use I" bio balls as they have more surface area per cubic volume. Fill each tray around 1/2full. You want lots of splashing around inside the trays.

Comment

Salt tastes good on french fries but I really try and stay away from it for anything else....

With that said if you are having nitrIte problems then you might want some salt while you fix the real problem but other than that I don't see much use for it and certainly not as some sort of weekly water change and then dump salt and other chemicals in regimine.
                  Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Comment

Originally posted by jnorth View Post
                    Salt tastes good on french fries but I really try and stay away from it for anything else....

With that said if you are having nitrIte problems then you might want some salt while you fix the real problem but other than that I don't see much use for it and certainly not as some sort of weekly water change and then dump salt and other chemicals in regimine.
                    Thanks for the info.

Neighbor has a saltwater chlorinator pool so salt may be donated to his cause.

Pond looks awesome today after some rain and clouds for 2 days.

Now found that my UV Clarifier has a piece broken. The threaded collar that covers and seals the quartz sleeve to the bulb ballast. I am trying to find something to fix this as Tetra does not sell his part.

Can't start on shower filter until I fix this.

Comment

You say you want to re-design your pond... what is the size of your ponds.. gallons and dimensions.... what filtration do you currently use... and what is the turnover rate through your filtration....what is your climate like and do you use some sort of temperature control for your pond water... water changes and or flow through... how much... how long have you been keeping koi and what are your goals... how many koi do you have now and how many would you like to keep in your ideal pond...you want koi keepers to fear you, so you must intend on building a really good pond system and stocking it with really high caliber koi.... just wondering what you are starting with and where you are on your koi journey

Comment

Originally posted by powerman View Post
                        You say you want to re-design your pond... what is the size of your ponds.. gallons and dimensions.... what filtration do you currently use... and what is the turnover rate through your filtration....what is your climate like and do you use some sort of temperature control for your pond water... water changes and or flow through... how much... how long have you been keeping koi and what are your goals... how many koi do you have now and how many would you like to keep in your ideal pond...you want koi keepers to fear you, so you must intend on building a really good pond system and stocking it with really high caliber koi.... just wondering what you are starting with and where you are on your koi journey

Ok. The ultimate goal as mentioned is to change my name to "Petshop Caliber Koi Master" or "Master of Petshop Koi". Goal being to take a koi I bought at Petsmart all the way to Japanese shows :-)

Now to reality. Dimensions are 2 oval shaped portions that measure 8 foot across by 10 foot. Depth of over 3 feet at deepest. The two ovals are joined by a narrowed area for a footbridge. Same depth. About 4 feet across and 2 feet wide. The entire thing has a ledge 18" deep that extends a foot from pond edge. Using Internet formulas I say it is approx 3450 gallons. Give or take 50 gallons.

Comment

Son was pulling iPad away.

Now. Filtration is ONLY a bead filled bio pressurized canister filter.

2 pumps. Pondmaster 2400 gph pumps. 18v UV Clarifier (broken). And want a Bakki style shower filter.

Fish load is currently overrun with comets and goldfish. These will be culled out leaving 3 8 inch koi. And 5 baby koi under 4 inches.

I assume to be able to keep 12 fish in here eventually. Majority koi with 2 to 4 of the best goldfish or comets. They were inherited from a foreclosed neighbors pond. All I wanted was his HUGE koi. I said I would take them. He THEN told me the koi died. Couldn't tell him no then. I assume my water turnover rate is 4800 gph?? Don't know if the calculation is more complex.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                          Working...
                          X