Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2012 koi breeding contest

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2012 koi breeding contest

    Is this the official 2012 koi breeding contest thread?

    Well, my sanke x magoi has entered this contest and I hope to have some good tosai.

    I have not cull my kois yet, but I did catch 3 of them and they are in the 3-4" range right now. Yeah, I didn't cull my 2012 spawn, so I will be culling them at 4"+ hopefully and not 2"+.

    Here is pic of the oyagoi. The brown one is female and the sanke is male. I also have (LF)yamabuki x magoi going on which I may enter as a late surprise entry. Surprise, they are in.
    Attached Files
    Akitsushima Tombo
  • #2

    i see many have viewed your thread but opted out of comment.
    It may be that there is no knowledge of any breeding contest or it may be that it is difficult to understand what you may hope to achieve by breeding the color varieties you have chosen. It may help to get comments to photos the 2 or 3 offspring that have come from this pairing or /and to explain what your idea was to mix this bunch of genetics.

    I certainly encourage you to widen your scope of knowledge in what it takes to breed koi, but wish to understand your logic in your selection?
    Dick Benbow

    Comment

    • #3

      Originally posted by dick benbow View Post
      i see many have viewed your thread but opted out of comment.
      It may be that there is no knowledge of any breeding contest or it may be that it is difficult to understand what you may hope to achieve by breeding the color varieties you have chosen. It may help to get comments to photos the 2 or 3 offspring that have come from this pairing or /and to explain what your idea was to mix this bunch of genetics.

      I certainly encourage you to widen your scope of knowledge in what it takes to breed koi, but wish to understand your logic in your selection?
      I asked the same question on another thread about the same Oyagoi...
      Ona serious note! Are We starting the breeding contest??? We can have some virtual awards...He he he!
      I am planning to breed in October...and have some babies from January.

      Comment

      • #4

        The female magoi has been breed by me before and I like the outcome of the frys, thus I used her with this new Sanke I got. The magoi's bloodline is a female Kohaku and male kohaku or sanke.

        I did a magoi x kohaku and got lots of kohaku babies and 0 sanke babies.

        Now I'm doing a magoi x sanke and thus far I do not have any kohaku babies, only sanke and crapigoi.
        The yamibuki was a male chaser as I didn't have another male to X with her. I don't have any pictures, but the yamibuki offspring are larger then the sanke offspring.

        I hope to get some Homebreed koi that is capable of being in a show within the next 2-5 years. Depending on when the Atlanta koi show is, I would like to enter some of my homebreed kois if they are worthy of being shown.

        I have a 1000+ pond with the 3 sanke tosai in them right now, but I do not want to drain it just to catch them for photo. Right now I am stocking 3 Sanke, 1 crapigoi from this spawn, 1 kohaku and 1 matsuba in the 1k US gallon pond.

        Lets have a winner by the end of this year. We can have another winner next year if this becomes a hit. So this year we will have tosai to grade and judge. This is actually one of my biggest event this year. To enter a tosai in this years breeding contest.
        Akitsushima Tombo

        Comment

        • #5

          Originally posted by chang26k View Post
          The female magoi has been breed by me before and I like the outcome of the frys, thus I used her with this new Sanke I got. The magoi's bloodline is a female Kohaku and male kohaku or sanke.

          I did a magoi x kohaku and got lots of kohaku babies and 0 sanke babies.

          Now I'm doing a magoi x sanke and thus far I do not have any kohaku babies, only sanke and crapigoi.
          The yamibuki was a male chaser as I didn't have another male to X with her. I don't have any pictures, but the yamibuki offspring are larger then the sanke offspring.

          I hope to get some Homebreed koi that is capable of being in a show within the next 2-5 years. Depending on when the Atlanta koi show is, I would like to enter some of my homebreed kois if they are worthy of being shown.

          I have a 1000+ pond with the 3 sanke tosai in them right now, but I do not want to drain it just to catch them for photo. Right now I am stocking 3 Sanke, 1 crapigoi from this spawn, 1 kohaku and 1 matsuba in the 1k US gallon pond.

          Lets have a winner by the end of this year. We can have another winner next year if this becomes a hit. So this year we will have tosai to grade and judge. This is actually one of my biggest event this year. To enter a tosai in this years breeding contest.
          I am going to win only the award for the most serious crapagoi...I had a flock spawn in the pond and picked some fry from the pond...Most are chagoi...and some ghost Koi...plus I think one of each variety...

          Comment

          • #6

            Here is my ghost/matsuba koi with a sanke in the photo. I didn't breed that sanke, I just took a photo of them together. I don't have any pictures of the sanke tosai I breed. But what do you guys think about the sanke? I got it 2 weeks ago and its growing nice.

            The ghost is around 5-6 inches right now. It grew quite well.
            Attached Files
            Akitsushima Tombo

            Comment

            • #7

              Sanke looks good...body not good...but pattern OK...
              I posted my ghost Koi and babies somewhere here...mine is very sparkling...He he he!

              Comment

              • #8

                If there is a breeding contest, I would definitely join the fun. I know a few other backyard breeders would as well. There are many knowledgable people on here. It would nice if we could get a few volunteers to help with the judging.

                Sunny

                Comment

                • #9

                  I think that once we start putting pictures up, the judging will naturally occur. Of course, we are blessed in this koi forum with professional breeders, judges and koi masters.

                  Lets pick a date this year (MMXII) to finalize the winners. End of October - mid of November would be best I think. Can someone put a pull up?

                  We should also have category such as tosai, nisai, sansai and so on. For sure, we should have a tosai and next year a nisai. It would be great if we include the oyagois as well so that we can all use this as a study thread as well.

                  So how should they be judge?
                  Options:
                  1. Best as is.
                  2. Best for future @ nisai/sansai?.
                  3. Best batch
                  4. Best of luck
                  5. Best growth
                  6. Best oyagoi
                  7. Best body
                  8. Best skin
                  9. Best pattern
                  Akitsushima Tombo

                  Comment

                  • #10

                    Here is my entry. I'm going to enter 2 fish. I don't have the other koi's picture right now but here is a poor quality picture of this bekko.
                    Attached Files
                    Akitsushima Tombo

                    Comment

                    • #11

                      Pictures for a competition need to be taken in a blue bowl, with a tape measure....the koi next to the tape measure facing forward . We don't have the rules yet!!!????

                      Comment

                      • #12

                        Originally posted by Yamato View Post
                        Pictures for a competition need to be taken in a blue bowl, with a tape measure....the koi next to the tape measure facing forward . We don't have the rules yet!!!????
                        Hi Nelli,

                        Good idea. How about a video of each entry as well to help the judging process? :-)

                        Sunny

                        Comment

                        • #13

                          Originally posted by Tosai_Sunny View Post
                          Hi Nelli,

                          Good idea. How about a video of each entry as well to help the judging process? :-)

                          Sunny
                          Darling,
                          normally videos are taken for the larger Koi...
                          I helped set up the categories for the virtual Koi show on Koiphen...maybe that needs to be done first?

                          Comment

                          • #14

                            I don't have a blue bowl and I don't have a ruler. So, enjoy the picture of my home breed tancho sanke. Plus, I'm the only one that entered for this year's breeding contest.


                            Attached Files
                            Akitsushima Tombo

                            Comment

                            • #15

                              He he he! For sure! That means U have won the contest!
                              On a serious note!
                              competition without rules...judges...blue balls...praises...rulers....categories...starting date...finish...
                              pis just too informal to be a competition really.
                              what do we do?
                              just post here our babies...as koi bitos mutts?
                              i could have posted them last year hundred times...for I did not know much to even consider them as mutts...but now...That I know better...I would be ashamed...honestly...even if they are next to your babies. They are reall reall mutts...maybe the next round???? I will do better?
                              so ...tosi Sunny make some rules...categories...U buy a blue bowl...and maybe three of Us show off our mutts???? As very proud parents!!! He he he!

                              Comment

                              All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X