No announcement yet.

What is the ideal temperature for koi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the ideal temperature for koi?

I am trying to decide whether I should remove half of the cover I have on my pond right now.

My temperature has been around 74 for the past month.

Is 75F considered ideal for koi? or even higher?

I read somewhere that given their druthers, koi like 77 degrees F.

Others say high sixties to low eighties.
    ChrisC

Comment

I would think your focus is on growth? So my answer would be 78 F.

if you have some diseasae worries, over 80 F for a period of time.

if your hibernating or winter resting would be a better term as koi don't hibernate per se, 52-55 f for mature females.

my little blue babies are 79 F at the moment. i can't keep them fed. They seem me coming and they're right yo on top with minature mouths agaping.
      Dick Benbow

Comment

I've read that koi thrive in 68-78 degrees F(20-25.5 C).
        Mike Pfeffer
        Northern Midwest ZNA show
        June 19 - 20, 2010
        Season's Garden Nursery
        Fishers, IN

Comment

And I have heard of a study whereby a series of tanks were connected so that the koi could swim between them, with the temperature maintained succeedingly different in each. From 55 to 80. The koi all ended up in the 75F tank each trial. No matter where they started. So I vote for 75F
          Best regards,

Bob Winkler

My opinions are my best interpretation of my experiences. They are not set in stone as I intend to always be a student of life. And Koi.

sigpic

Comment

well bubba give us a clue, what are you trying to do with the koi.... alot of people have given good information about temp and koi/carp.
            But the test done to see which temp koi gravitate towards is probably not going to answer your question....
            Thirty years ago the same type test was done with houseflies. The warm temperature houseflies gravitated to caused a premature death in them.

Comment

My main focus right now is on growth. My pond is not heated so temp. will flunctuate with the seasons.

I am trying to get as much growth as possible during this hot season.

I just want to see if it would a big difference in their growth if I take half of the cover off and probably ending up with 78F.

Comment

78 in the day and 75 at night...
                or 75 all the time

You won't get every last millimeter of growth at this temp but you will be getting Quality fast growth, and not be compromising your koi's health

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                Working...
                X