Breeding Showa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breeding Showa

I have decided to breed for the first time since I started in this hobby years ago. I've done everything possible to learn more about this hobby than anyone will ever know. I've seen it done many times while I was at Dainichi, so I decided to give it a whirl. Last year my friend and I decided to breed and we ordered special males from Dainichi to breed. He ended breeding his kohaku and we split up the eggs to try to grow them for our own.
    This year I'm planning to breed showa. Males have been pre-ordered and now the search for the right Oyagoi to be used, here are some of the Oyagoi I'm going to choose from. Any oppinions?
    Attached Files

I think I'd want to see the males before deciding which female. Nonetheless, my preference is #3 and #4 based on body for future growth. I tend toward #4because the sumi is so undeveloped on #3 and I like the Sanke-like head shape of #4. From the photo #4 seems to have the stronger tail. In person, things may look different. If the sumi of #3 is top quality, I could go with her.

Comment

For me, the powerful head of #3 does it.

Comment

Of the 4 shown, I like #4 for the strength of the beni and quality of the sumi.

Even under the best of assessments of the proposed couple or trio, they can all look promising but you never know how the genes will come together and "clique". If both sexes are from dainichi be sure and watch for bending heads in the sembetsu process that may indicate too close a gene pool.

Have fun and be sure and share along the way.
        Dick Benbow

Comment

NOne of those, Duc & I want you to breed the tategoi.

Comment

I am the furthest thing from an expert. So I can appeal to the accepted wisdom that it is impossible to judge koi from a photo and say that no. 1 is my favorite. I have been told (in complete confidence of course) that the “secret” defining characteristic of a desirable oyagoi is height, and this can’t be judged from a top down photo.

Comment

All 4 looks great what are their sizes? I would love to have any of them in my pond and I wouldn't even consider breeding them. Are the females also Dainichi? Please post pics of the Males?? Just by the pictures alone I would choose 4,1,2,3. Please keep us updated.

Comment

Number#1 will be my choice. If you need male showa, you can bought my 27in from Murado ( I post pictures later)

Comment

since i know nothing
                  i will still add a few observations and being pictures may be right or wrong

#1 angle of camera is more over top but the head looks short and more dolphin head.the kind of head you see in hakari yamabuki and platinum ???

#4 as stated more a sanke head but is it to pinched at back of gill?

and no one wants #2
                  but if the female is the one carrying on the body to offsprings and pattern more from male (if this is true) thus #2 female looks nice body lines from nose all the way to thick tail tube
                  Paul Korf

member of:
                  Midwest Pond and Koi Society
                  Louisville Koi club
                  IKONA

Comment

Tom

why are you bringing out the 2nd string oyagoi? if these are the 4 to pick from, go with #4. For showa, the sumi is so important and #4 is from Sakura and you know how the sumi will develop with Sakura.....she is also a big koi at over 30" and just 5 years old.

if I could pick from your showas, I would go with the following line up:
                    The Tategoi
                    Kokugyo Kindai (the one you are keeping for me)
                    Sakura w/the stripe sumi

Go big or go home! use your best genetics. it's all about genetics, food, and water.

anyone interested in #4, please PM me for a price.

Duc

Comment

Originally posted by RobF View Post
                      I am the furthest thing from an expert. So I can appeal to the accepted wisdom that it is impossible to judge koi from a photo and say that no. 1 is my favorite. I have been told (in complete confidence of course) that the “secret” defining characteristic of a desirable oyagoi is height, and this can’t be judged from a top down photo.
                      I feel the same but as to breeding I was seriously thinking of breeding my showa. It is one that Maedo San nearly saved for a breeder when it was a Tosai. The fish can be best described as built like a brick shithouse. - The solid sumi completely covers one side of her and the other side is quite balanced with quite heavy sumi. So I wonder if one should be leaning towards heavier sumi and then going with a Sanke to help with confirmation.

Regards

Eugene

Comment

My choice would be number three. The fish conveys a sense of elegance, balance and power.
                        Moto Kara Koi Kai ZNA

Lone Star Koi Club

Comment

I would go with #2 because of the sumi. If you don't want to do it; send her here, I'll do it.

I don't know her history but she looks like a oyagoi.
                          - not clean cut
                          - not super refine
                          - dirty
                          - a Showa in developing mode
                          Akitsushima Tombo

Comment

Just based on pictures I would choose #2, although you would need to choose the male carefully to provide the improved hi the female is lacking.

Comment

Originally posted by azngopher View Post
                              Tom

why are you bringing out the 2nd string oyagoi? if these are the 4 to pick from, go with #4. For showa, the sumi is so important and #4 is from Sakura and you know how the sumi will develop with Sakura.....she is also a big koi at over 30" and just 5 years old.

if I could pick from your showas, I would go with the following line up:
                              The Tategoi
                              Kokugyo Kindai (the one you are keeping for me)
                              Sakura w/the stripe sumi

Go big or go home! use your best genetics. it's all about genetics, food, and water.

anyone interested in #4, please PM me for a price.

Duc
                              Duc has said so much in his post, I'm repeating it for the ease of those who did not appreciate all he said. Based on the additional information, it becomes clear that #4 should be the choice. (But, I'd not use her for fear of injury!)

Those choosing a koi other than #4 should consider whether they are making their choice based on the traits they want passed on to a new generation, or because they like the look of a koi for their own collection. I expect #4 was passed over because of the way the beni covers so much of the face, how little sumi is showing currently, and pattern factors. These are nearly irrelevant in deciding on whether it would be a good oyagoi. Look back at #1 and #2 ignoring pattern and state of development. Focus on body form, head size in relation to the body and quality of pigments, not whether the fish is attractive to your sense of aesthetics.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X