Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Never buy a koi that costs more than your?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Never buy a koi that costs more than your?????

microscope?
    Ok Hoppy (term of endearment that we have for one of our ER M.D.'s, named Hopkins).
    "NEVER"?...so if I want to buy a $10,000 koi, I can't if I just paid 5 grand for my microscope?
    So does Momotaro have an electron microscope?

Now with the kidding out of the way..at what point can a koi guy say, "I do not need to buy a better microscope."
    Specifics of the features need and a SPECIFIC Microscope...with a link to the site.

And two threads in one....nah I'll start another one dealing with Hoppy's byline...

Not particualrly relevant to your thread but I have an SEM buzzing away at my side as I type. I've been very tempted on many occasions to use it for purposes not entirely work related but as of yet have resisted the temptation.......as of yet

Comment

You guys either have too much money or just love to have
      a BIG SCOPE

I just have a regular 1000x with good optics. I think that's more than adequate.

By the way, I haven't had the need to use it for 3 years

Comment

Originally posted by koiloco
        You guys either have too much money or just love to have
        a BIG SCOPE

I just have a regular 1000x with good optics. I think that's more than adequate.

By the way, I haven't had the need to use it for 3 years
        Shot, I'll just barrow Keokoi's scope...
        The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

That's right Luke. If you are going to shell out ten grand for a fish, you better be prepared to take care of it.

-stevehoppy

Comment

Never buy a koi that costs more than your pond.

Never pay more than $1 per gallon for all the koi in your pond. (If you are keeping them in 6000 gallons, don't purchase more than six $1000 fish or twelve $500 fish or....)

Comment

hahaha,

Tony, your way is the BEST!

You're welcomed to borrow mine anytime, too!

Comment

Originally posted by koiloco
                hahaha,

Tony, your way is the BEST!

You're welcomed to borrow mine anytime, too!
                My thought is what are you going to do with a $1000+ microscope that is goin to sit most of time in a closet, when you can barrow it from a good friend. Use the money to buy koi!
                The world sleeps as the chance to learn something new passes.

Comment

Originally posted by aquitori
                  My thought is what are you going to do with a $1000+ microscope that is goin to sit most of time in a closet, when you can barrow it from a good friend. Use the money to buy koi!
                  I used to think that! until that Friend was on Vacation....
                  It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Come On Hoppy!

It is your byline.
                    if you are into 'scopes that much let's have some idea of what we must have if we are going to buy some big-time koi.............

Comment

OK Luke, my by line sucks and is a bold-face lie. The point I was trying to make is that you need to know how to care for a fish, in good times and bad times, before you start buying expensive koi. An important part of that expertise is parasite diagnosis. We have seen a couple of people here lately who were fumbling the treatment because they were not equipped or prepared to do the diagnosis.

A funny thing is that the less you know about parasites and their diagnosis, the more you need to spend on a microscope. Someone with a lot of experience can probably find costia with a crappy high-school-grade scope. A better scope with all the bells and whistles is a much more effective tool and will allow someone with less experience to still make an accurate diagnosis.

Do you need a $10k scope before you buy a $10k fish? Probably not. However, before buying a $10k fish it would be wise to at least have a $1500 compound scope, a $1000 dissecting scope, and a disease seminar under your belt - maybe a $3,000 investment. On the other hand, with a $100 scope you are probably ill-prepared to care for a $100 koi.

My father and my grandfather were both 'Hoppy' in some circles. I had never been 'Hoppy' - until now.

-hoppy

Comment

One thing I love about Koi lovers in this forum is that

we are not afraid to admit to anything and we don't try to BS. We say what we know and admit when it's wrong or mis-stated.

Kudo to Bekko.

Comment

Here is my line for koi and Stocks..

Never spend anything your not willinng to lose.

Make sense??
                          I think I confused myself
                          It's a living creature (chit happens)

Comment

Bekko,
                            to the contrary, I thought your byline was quite stimulating. And since I know you have a very strong knowledge base I was trying to get you to tell us exactly what scope would do the best job...
                            For instance I could spend a grand on a $100 'scope.
                            I was hoping you'd get down and dirty and tell me all about the 'scope I need.

Comment

I cannot recommend a brand Luke. I bought mine second-hand and dirt cheap from a Baxter representative who was selling upgrades to some lab. He was a good enough friend that I just trusted that he was putting me on a good deal. The dissecting scope was almost new and the compound scope was/is an antique - but with good glass in it. This guy knew a bit about scopes and he said the only way to shop was to line up all the options together on a bench and look at the same slide under each of them. Supposedly, anyone can see the difference that way. Of course, if you are doing mail order that is not possible. Its all in the optics and every brand of scope can provide objective lens from several different manufacturers. My take was that you can probably ignore the brand/manufacturer of the frame and eyepieces and concentrate on getting objectives made by Zeiss, Leica, old American Optical equipment, etc.

-steve

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X