Temperatures Rising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temperatures Rising

My pond had been slowly rising to the 76F mark, but Florida Summer has arrived. Over the past few days we have had consistent daily highs in the 90sF, and evening lows are only around 74F. So, the pond is up to 78F and will probably hit 80F in a couple of days. It is typical to have the water in the low 80sF through September.

Now is when I increase the aeration in the pond. With a Bakki Shower turning over the pond volume every two hours, and aerated Nexus units doing the same, and aerated bottom drains, it might seem there is always plenty of aeration. But, I can increase the air going through the bottom drains, so I do. Even a single ppm of oxygen can be a big percentage increase when the water is warm.

I also pay attention to how the koi are feeding. The big gals' appetites decrease some and the smaller koi seem to eat even more when the water temperature is much above 80F. They do not digest food as efficiently as the water warms so much, so the water can get trashed without accomplishing anything for the koi. So, I pay attention to catch the point where it seems best to ease off a bit. Instead of feeding around 1.25 pounds per day, it will eventually ease down to about 1.0 pound per day.

I have enjoyed my koi so much since their fast was ended back in January. Now, it is miserably hot and the mosquitoes have exploded in numbers. Sitting by the pond is not so relaxing. But, it is time for paying close attention so any issue is noticed. In 80+F water, little issues can become big issues very quickly. So, I keep the mosquito repellant near the door.

[On the bright side, there are only remnants of string algae to be found in the pond. ]

Great reminders that keeping koi in warmer climates takes a different path from more temperate climates. Winter can be a challenge for our fellow koi keepers father north. Summertime is when water temperatures can be in the optimum range for northern koi keepers. THis is when our northern koi keepers ramp up feeding to get more growth from their koi.

In contrast, in South Texas summer can be a bigger stressor than our milder winters. As you mention it is important to feed less and increase water changes and filter maintenance as necessary when water temperatures rise above the mid 70F comfort zone for our koi. It is important not to let our summertime water quality suffer by over feeding or under maintaining our filters and water changes. I modify my skimmer/clairity return during the summer from a 2 inch discharge pipe that returns water near the waterfall to a spray bar that runs the width of the pond about two feet above the surface. I also use a water fog/mister system over the pond in the hottest part of the afternoon. Both of these help to reduce the water temperature from the mid to high 80's to the low 80's. I have found that when water temperatures start dropping in the fall is the "growth" season in our area when I increase the amount of feeding prior to going into the winter.
    Attached Files
    Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Comment

Just added a third air pump to my system for the summer months.
      President : GLK&GS
      Officer : NMZNA
      Certified Judge : AKJA

Comment

Our pond is 78. So very glad I put in the large bakki house shower this spring.
        Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Comment

I like that mister system, Ray!

Comment

The mister also makes it much much more comfortable relaxing by the pond this time of the year.
            Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Comment

Wish I could relate to this problem.

pond is 65 F, weather is hi's in lower 60's and rain. watering chores on close to 100 bonsai are minimal

I quess i could boast of no hurricnes and tornadoes, but truth is we're past expecting a GIGANTIC earthquake which could come at any time.

It's a great hobby with lots of great challenges....
              Dick Benbow

Comment

Ah, Dick. Sounds like January in Orlando, except we do not get much rain then.

This year the mosquitoes are really out of control. We have had several drier than normal years in a row and were approaching severe drought conditions with high risk of wildfires. Then the rains came. And came again. Heavy rains, daily showers.... I have had nearly 9.5 inches of rain at my house in less than 3 weeks. Downtown Orlando reports 9.3 inches so far in June. Quite a start for the wet season. Lakes in the area were at low levels and the swamps were much reduced in size. They re-filled quickly. That means that mosquito eggs buried in the dried mud of area swamps were all inundated when the water returned. So, a massive hatching occurred. With so much competition, they get voracious. Local mosquito spray programs were not ready for the onslaught. I expect I'll be hearing the mosquito spray trucks slowly rumbling through city neighborhoods during the night. There's a lot to be said in favor of Orlando's climate for 9 months of the year. For the next 3 months, even the locals don't have much good to say about the heat, humidity and bugs.... and tourists. The crowds arrive during the part of the year when the locals stay indoors or head to the beach. All of which means that folks put off doing pond chores just when it is most important to be vigilant.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                Working...
                X