New Shusui and Asagi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dick benbow View Post
    I could write a book LOL But I feel a lot of Kodama's books are helpful in understanding this education.

Without going into a lot of detail, the NAME of the type of color variety it is tells you alot about what to look for.
    yamabuki (yellow-gold) as Hikari need to have the body sheen
    easily identifyable in sunlight. Size of pecs is also a flagg for similar hikari color varieties. They tend to be proportionately undersized. Put a dozen subjects in a bowl and remove those that do not exibit the sheen. from those left look for the biggest pecs. go with the lightest yellow color.
    Benbow-san, Arigato for sharing this information. I am going to take a look at some tosai yamabuki ogon from Izumiya first thing tomorrow morning at Kodama fish farm open house in Hawaii. One of these days, I'll find one. I'm not planning on finding anything to take home (not tosai anyway) and I'm really glad I got to read your key points with Hikari Types. It will be interesting if Kodama will have them available for viewing in the sunlight. We'll see tomorrow.

Comment

good luck tomorrow. let us know how it went
      Dick Benbow

Comment

Thanks Dick. I'll just have to be patient seeing how my asagi develops. When I got it a year ago it had a slight red belly which I don't see anymore. The visible red I see is in the bottom half of both its eyes. All the fins seem to have a slight red tint, but I couldn't be sure if it was my eyes playing tricks on me. But it's got a head that's larger than what I usually see, and clean and white. It's the most friendly of my kois, which accounts for its powerful look and size. If those benis should materialize, I think she'd be quite a looker, as they would be subtle and blend well with the light blue scales and white head.

Comment

Hey yerrag, wanted to mention that Asagi are known jumpers. Not much a pond owner can do, but if possible, cover when you're not around. I tend to hear of jumpers in the 8"-24" range. I guess they mellow out as they age, or get lazy!
          Tim

Comment

Not a moment too soon Appliance Guy. I just spent the day on pond work and removed the net after Rick convinced me about cats not bothering my koi and lost sight of the other reason I put a koi net. I think my asagi just tipped in at 24", so I'll put the net back in. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by dick benbow View Post
              good luck tomorrow. let us know how it went
              Going back to your quote of 'sembetsu ' being a selection , it also refers to the fact that these fish are the culled boiled and fed back to their siblings.
              This is known as Sembetsu as a parting gift ! Giving for the greater good of the whole .

Comment

Originally posted by semi skilled keeper View Post
                Going back to your quote of 'sembetsu ' being a selection , it also refers to the fact that these fish are the culled boiled and fed back to their siblings.
                This is known as Sembetsu as a parting gift ! Giving for the greater good of the whole .
                Hi all ( no pun meant ! ) i Talked to Koi breeder ( farmer ) who when asked about Shusui told me that because of the difficulties involved in breeding good classic Shusui ( limited hi coverage ) A NEW name was added to the roll that of HI SHUSUI ! This was because so many of the 'poorer ' fish were being sold cheep or culled ! So now HI ON THE BACK IS NOT SUCH A BAD THING ?

Comment

It is a marketing tactic. The judging standards for Shusui have not changed. What a person finds attractive should not change, but the reality is that people decide what to buy based on factors extraneous to their personal sense of beauty. Having a Shusui others will see as suffering a shortcoming of too much red will turn away people who personally find it attractive. With a label implying the excessive red is acceptable, the fish becomes acceptable to that person. ...Wonder what label would help increase pricing on those with a broken zipper?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
                    It is a marketing tactic. The judging standards for Shusui have not changed. What a person finds attractive should not change, but the reality is that people decide what to buy based on factors extraneous to their personal sense of beauty. Having a Shusui others will see as suffering a shortcoming of too much red will turn away people who personally find it attractive. With a label implying the excessive red is acceptable, the fish becomes acceptable to that person. ...Wonder what label would help increase pricing on those with a broken zipper?
                    OPEN OR CLOSED or up and down , who knows, I like both kind am not that bothered if a 'JUDGE' DOES NOT !

Comment

Bumping up for a friend.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                      Working...
                      X