My AKCA Research Project Donation Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My AKCA Research Project Donation Quilt

Here's some pics of a (King size) quilt I've been working on. It will be auctioned off at the MAKC KOI America banquet on Sat. night to benefit the AKCA KHV Research Project.
    I hope someone bids!
    Attached Files

Very nice Ruth! It's a great cause and a great quilt so I'm sure MAKC will get lots of bids for it.
    Koi-Unit

ZNA Potomac Koi Club

Comment

Ruth - that is a fantastic quilt with awesome fabric samples! What a lot of work. Did you create that design yourself? Very, very cool.

Comment

Ruth you are not only talented but also koi kitchie.

Comment

Hi Jen,
          The design was inspired by a quilt made by Nicole Lembke's sister. She made one very similar except she used oriental prints - not koi fabrics. I thought it was absolutely gorgeous. Her's was also had red borders and no red inbetween the squares.

gelldu - yeah I am a little bit koi kichi - I'm always thinking koi. When I go to fabric stores or quilt shops I always have my eye out for these fabrics. Haven't found any at Walmart or Joann Fabrics - they are usually at the better fabric quilt stores.

Comment

Hi Ruth,

Very nice, I did not know there were so many printed fabrics with koi on them.
            Looks great,
            Jaco Vorster
            South Africa

Comment

Originally posted by Ruth Rice
              Here's some pics of a (King size) quilt I've been working on. It will be auctioned off at the MAKC KOI America banquet on Sat. night to benefit the AKCA KHV Research Project.
              I hope someone bids!
              Beautiful !!! and good job Ruth.

How about auction on the thekoiauction.com site?

--Dinh

Comment

I too wish to let you know that your spirit of giving and gifted talent is appreciated. Thanks for doing something personal to contribute! you are due several "atta-girls' for that one!
                Dick Benbow

Comment

Ruth

Your quilt is spectacular, it shows the love and many hours you put into it. It will most certainly bring in a big price for the kHV project.

Comment

Thanks all
                    Dinh thanks for the suggestion but I usually like to donate something I have made to be auctioned off at the banquet. People are usually excited and some of my flags have brought some really good prices. Gee I hope that is the case with this quilt! I worked long and hard on this one.

Comment

Ruth: I'll not be bidding on the quilt. We've got plenty. But, if some of that fabric was put up in fat quarters, I'd have to bid!

Comment

As a postscript to KoiAmerica, I think it appropriate to thank Carl Forss for his support of the AKCA's KHV Research Project. His winning bid on Ruth's quilt put $1,000.00 into KHV research. He also bid high and often on many other items. His generous support made the auction a success.

There was a poignant element to it that many seem to have forgotten. When KHV made its appearance in the U.S. a few years ago, Carl's facility was an early victim. He did not hide what happened, as some others did. He shut down, sterilized everything, counseled and supported his customers, and effectively lost a season in a competitive market. He came back strong, as a leader in instituting proper protocols. His losses had to be great. His generosity is special in that light.

Comment

Glad to see that Ruth's work commanded a good price for a good cause (and went to a good guy!) In Kentucky, there are many quilting artists whose work is displayed in galleries. It is considered fine art using textile as media. Some quilters are academically trained artists, while others follow more in the folk tradition. Ruth should be very proud of her skills!

Comment

Thanks Jen - it was nice to meet you.
                            You are correct about some of the quilts that are now being produced. These artists are painting with fabric. I wish I had a pic of the koi quilt I saw on display from a quilt show last year.
                            It was nice to meet all of you on who post on this board and actually MikeM Carl's bid was $1200.00!
                            Carl HAS been very supportive through the years and when his shop was hit with the dreaded virus not very much was known about it. He did do the right thing and while it had to be very hard to overcome I'm glad he hung in there. Hits like that seperate the big guys from the little.....

Comment

Ruth,

Happy to know your excellent works ended up with good results.

--Dinh

Originally posted by Ruth Rice
                              Thanks Jen - it was nice to meet you.
                              You are correct about some of the quilts that are now being produced. These artists are painting with fabric. I wish I had a pic of the koi quilt I saw on display from a quilt show last year.
                              It was nice to meet all of you on who post on this board and actually MikeM Carl's bid was $1200.00!
                              Carl HAS been very supportive through the years and when his shop was hit with the dreaded virus not very much was known about it. He did do the right thing and while it had to be very hard to overcome I'm glad he hung in there. Hits like that seperate the big guys from the little.....

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X