Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best time to purchase koi from breeders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best time to purchase koi from breeders?

Interested in knowing when is the best time to purchase koi from koi breeders. Nisai, Sansai age? I'm sure each breeder will have a little different timing for sales or auctions, any information concerning best time for the best available stocks will be much appreciated.

Originally posted by Akai-San
    Interested in knowing when is the best time to purchase koi from koi breeders. Nisai, Sansai age? I'm sure each breeder will have a little different timing for sales or auctions, any information concerning best time for the best available stocks will be much appreciated.
    Depends on what your notion of "best time" means.
    Brian Sousa
    Koi-Bito Forum

Comment

if your intent is to get the best koi for the best price, I like April for me.
      In May the koi that are to be grown on in the mud ponds will be accessed.
      those that may be of quality but the space available is designated, then become for sale. I think it's an excellent time to buy a koi that was being considered to be retained. remember koi are a crop. some years you have plenty some you don't. The lean years you pay, the fat years you benefit.

in the fall time the expectation is high and the fish beautiful. You may have the pick of the litter but you certainly will have to pay the top price for your selection because demand is high.

here's the bottom line: go when you get a chance. pay the breeder a fair price for his work. AND FOR GOODNESS SAKE DON'T GO LOOKING FOR A SPECIFIC COLOR VARIETY IE A SHOWA, AS IT MAY BE A BAD YEAR AND YOU WILL PASS UP A GOOD SOMETHING ELSE BECAUSE YOUR TOO FOCUSED!
      LOOK FOR THE BEST AVAILABLE KOI ALWAYS!

how's that for a readers digest version of 25 years of buying carp!
      Dick Benbow

Comment

But, Dick, you left out one thing you taught me: "There is always another koi". One of the best lessons of all.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
          Depends on what your notion of "best time" means.
          Brian,

I hear you have some really nice koi under the care of breeders. While I am in Japan, I guess that is what I am looking to do. I guess looking to start with koi that is worthy of the breeders pond space. I know it could get rather expensive, but wouldn't want to insult the breeder for keeping space. Being so new to the koi world, I would even entertain breeders choice. What do you think? Any advice?

Aloha,
          Carl

Comment

Best time meaning best time for having the greatest selections (in number & quality). I guess looking at the months that Sansai and Nisai are brought in and culled to grow on and the rest sold. Getting a koi with potential to grow-out with the breeder. At least thats what I'm thinking for my first koi. Any advice.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
            Working...
            X