Help Gill Problem, Fish are Dying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Gill Problem, Fish are Dying

Hi guys, i'm a newbie in Koi keeping... I had started buying since about a month ago. But these past 2 weeks, the kois are dead around one each day. May be from total of 45 fish i now end up with 35ish.

Attach are pics of one of the dead fish. I cannot identify if it's BGD or gill fluke or other parasites. Frankly i have not tested my water quality yet. Wich i will do tomorrow after buying the kit. Please if anyone can help identify what it is. And how to treat the rest.

Another thing if salt bath can help, how long should i keep the rest of the fish in high concentrate salt bath? Can i do water change and put high concentration of salt in the main pond or should i use QT pond.

Please advice. Thanks alot...
    Attached Files

It is obvious from the photos that a 'gill rot' has set in. The causes can be numerous. Much more information is needed... including where you are located, your pond set-up, water parameters, the history of the pond, the nature of the source of the fish, whether the fish were quarantined before going in the pond.

I do not want to scare you, but having so many die in such a short time frame makes me want to include KHV on the list of possibilities. Or, it could be the result of ammonia burn from 'new pond syndrome' giving rise to bacterial infection. A lot has to be known to try to narrow the possibilities. It would be best if you can contact an experienced koikeeper near you to visit and advise. If there is a koi club in your area, there may well be someone who has volunteered to advise in this sort of situation.

Comment

Yes, it looks like BGD, but the real question is what is causing it. It doesn't just happen on it's own. It is a opportunistic infection. I had an outbreak of it when I also got some gill flukes. I treated for both problems and all is well. As Mike said without more information, it is about impossible to help you. We need a lot more information on your pond. All of the water parameters, fish load, recent purchase information, symptoms, length of problem, any Scrape & scope findings, treatments already performed.

Comment

Thanks Mike n Katie for the quick responses,

i will gather and post more accurate info tomorrow as i leave in Indonesia so it's 1 am now...

Again, thanks... Have a great day

Comment

Also please provide water temperature and looking at dead koi does there appear to be a deep notch in the area between the mouth and nose?
          Disclosure:These opinions are based on my experience and conversations with persons I consider accomplished koi keepers and do not reflect the viewpoint of any organization.

Comment

I am only seeiing same pic- no pic of nose/mouth/head.

But boy those look bad. Yikes! Like others have said, we'd like more info please.
            Tim

Comment

At 45 kois in a month old pond, pond must be pretty big(minimum of 100 tons), if not I smell a possible disaster especially for a newbie.
              Get the test kit (ammonia and nitrite) and also get a salinity meter. Stop feeding. No need for quarantine since i believe you have to treat the whole pond now. Good Luck.

Comment

I had a similar issue many years ago. I thought, for sure, it was KHV. Well, after sending out sample fish..they came back negative. What they did culture was columnaris. I treated the remaining fish with fungus eliminator (also good for columnaris). Stopped it in it's tracks...and saved the few remaining fish.
                sigpic

If your desire to succeed is greater than your desire to fail, then you will succeed.

Comment

Dear all,

Actually my pond is 4 months old instead, but only the last month we added some koi. The first 3 months we only kept "the trial fish" such as gold fish, gobies, etc. the pond is 8 meter cube (2,200 gallons) with 1.2 meter cube filter (316 gallons). There are around 45 - 50 fish including the trial fish. The kois length ranges from 15 to 25 cm.

We usually fed them 3 times a day, change the water and wash the filters once i two weeks.
                  I didn't get all the testers I wanted. But i did some test:
                  water temp: 29 C (84 F)
                  amonia: 0.25 mg/lt
                  Ph: 8.6
                  I had been monitoring Ph for a while. Usually it's 7.8-8.6
                  my tap water is 8.2-8.4
                  the rain Ph i took 4 days ago was 8.6
                  Does anyone know where to get good set of testing kit in Jakarta? Please advise.

Today, I check each of my kois, there are four of them who have notch between their mouth and nose.
                  One with red spot on its back, two with reddish spot on its gill cover.
                  Those four are QTed now.
                  I also did 75% water change and add 0.1% of salt. While for the rest I gave 0.6% of salt bath before putting them back to the pond.

I will keep updating the other tests once available.

By the way, I also noticed that most of the dead kois are from the reseller I bought the last time.
                  Please let me know what you think and what other precautions I need to take.
                  @Sacicu how long should I stop feeding them?

Thanks guys... GBU
                  Attached Files

Comment

I thought I sent the reply already but it didn't show, anyways here I post my reply again.

Dear All,

Actually my pond is 4 months old, but only the last month we added in the kois. The first three month we only kept "trial fish" such as gold fish, gobies etc. The pond is 8 meter cube (2,200 gallons) with 1.2 meter cub filter (316 gallons). There are around 45 - 50 fish including the trial fish. Our koi length ranges from 15 to 25 cm.

i haven't got all the test I wanted, but here are some test I did.
                    water temp: 29 C (84 F)
                    amonia: 25 mg/lt
                    Ph: 8.6
                    i monitored Ph for a while now, it usually between 7.6 to 8.6 through out the day. The highest Ph I got was 9.3.
                    Our water source is 8.3
                    I measured rain water Ph 4 days ago it was 8.6 I think.

I usually do 40-50% water change and filter cleaning every 2 weeks.

Today we change 75% water and put 0.1% salt. I notice there are 4 fish who have notch between mouth and nose. I QTed them in 0.6% salted water. While the rest I keep the in the salt bath for a while before putting back to the pond.

Amongst the four, one has a red spot on its back, two has reddish round spot on their gill cover. Photos attached (hopefully).

iwill keep updating the readings once i got the test kits. Does anyone know where I can get a test kit in Jakarta? Please advise.

@Sacicu how long should I stop feeding them.

Please let me know what you think and i'm looking for your advice...

thanks
                    Attached Files

Comment

I would suggest that you do a PP treatment including filters. In a warmer climate you will have less oxygen so lot of arriation. Remeber that you would have killed all the bacteria in your filters so very graduall feeding and immediate water change as soon as treatment is over,
                      Regards
                      Eugene

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                      Working...
                      X