No announcement yet.

My tosai shopping spree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the inputs Mike. Was pleasantly surprised at the outcome as well and a keeper out of the 5 cheap tosai batch haha

Comment

Here's another Maruyama Kohaku bought back in May of this year when it was 20cm, now 45cm.

Comment

Kevin, you have grown that one well. If this was an inexpensive tosai, you got a bargain. Nice body for nisai. I expect the sashi issues will clear up with time.

Is this male?

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
          Kevin, you have grown that one well. If this was an inexpensive tosai, you got a bargain. Nice body for nisai. I expect the sashi issues will clear up with time.

Is this male?
          Thanks Mike still learning and yes its a male. I have no luck selecting female tosais haha. Got this one for $100 and I hope it will start putting on girth once it passes the 60cm mark.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PhotoGrid_1449147339900-01.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	234171

Comment

I think Maruyama-san has a much better than 50-50 skill in identifying males even when only 20cm. So, the odds of you picking a tosai of this quality that was also female were strongly against you. As a nisai male, he is certainly worth more than the $100 you paid. IMO, you took your chances and won. It's good that you keep males so you can watch this one develop.

Comment

I think Maruyama-san has a much better than 50-50 skill in identifying males even when only 20cm. So, the odds of you picking a tosai of this quality that was also female were strongly against you. As a nisai male, he is certainly worth more than the $100 you paid. IMO, you took your chances and won. It's good that you keep males so you can watch this one develop.
              Most experience known breeders are skilled in choosing male at 20cm as compared to when koi reach 35cm. I am not surprise anymore whenever brings in 20cm or less koi of cheaper grades that a high majority would be male and the few female ones would be females of inferior quality in terms of body, pattern and skin as compared to the males.

Comment

Most experience known breeders are skilled in choosing male at 20cm as compared to when koi reach 35cm. I am not surprise anymore whenever brings in 20cm or less koi of cheaper grades that a high majority would be male and the few female ones would be females of inferior quality in terms of body, pattern and skin as compared to the males.

Comment

Originally posted by sacicu View Post
                  Agreed. Handling so many thousands of fish every day for years teaches more than a hobbyist can ever learn. A breeder comes to recognize the sex by the nature of pigments as well as body development. It becomes automatic to see the probable sex. At the harvest at Quality Koi I attended in October, there was a group of maybe 50 nisai that had gone in the mud at about 25cm or so. Out of that whole group there were only 3 or 4 that were definite males, one that was a bit of a question and rest female. Instead of a 50-50 sort of ratio, it was more 90-10.

I have no confidence I could sex anything at such small sizes.

Comment

Here's a Matsunosuke Sanke bought in Aug at 18cm and today around 40cm. Its quite interesting to watch how they grow fat-long-fat-long in that sequence at every 10cm intervals haha

Click image for larger version

Name:	PhotoGrid_1449147456149-01.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	234172

Comment

Originally posted by nivek View Post
                      Here's a Matsunosuke Sanke bought in Aug at 18cm and today around 40cm. Its quite interesting to watch how they grow fat-long-fat-long in that sequence at every 10cm intervals haha

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40927[/ATTACH]
                      That is interesting Nivek. Is that a trait of Matsunosuke?

Comment

Originally posted by yerrag View Post
                        That is interesting Nivek. Is that a trait of Matsunosuke?
                        Not sure if its a trait but this fellow is giving me the runaround haha

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                        Working...
                        X