ID:	240697Click image for larger version

Name:	fry-9328.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	240698Click image for larger version

Name:	fry-9334.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	240699 It appears to be that I have had two different spawnings in my little koi pond. I only have 2 koi and a comet I had for a short time another koi but he died not long ago. But it is possible that these are some of his spawn. I first notice this boogers swimming two nights ago. This evening I scooped up a jar full and it appears that there are two differnt sizes.. Do you know what Im looking at?
    p.s.
    These fish are only two seasons old. so I was Very surprised and I only introduced two fingerlings in this year.
    Attached Files

Fry will grow at dramatically different rates. So, the two sizes doesn't mean there were two spawnings. But, could have been. Koi and goldfish can hybridize, too. It doesn't happen regularly, but can. Have fun seeing how the mystery unfolds.

Comment

I really am amazed it happened at all. I just expanded the pond only by a little bit in June. Made it deeper dug it to 3 ft, and about 3 ft longer. But I have plenty of aeration . Any ways. Life finds a way don't it.
      Attached Files

Comment

Apparently I had culled a bunch a couple weeks ago. I was cleaning my biobox filter and I found tons of what I thought was really big bug larvae .. I'm guessing it was at the attachment phase. I always thought larvae and eggs needed a ton of aeration. These were hanging out in what I would consider the waste bucket. Still puzzled by all of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Tammy Lynn View Post
          Apparently I had culled a bunch a couple weeks ago. I was cleaning my biobox filter and I found tons of what I thought was really big bug larvae .. I'm guessing it was at the attachment phase. I always thought larvae and eggs needed a ton of aeration. These were hanging out in what I would consider the waste bucket. Still puzzled by all of this.
          might be those guys got sucked in and got stuck .... That's why fry ponds have very carefully designed filters, well at least the drains have good sieves on them

Comment

Life always finds it own ways ...Good shots

Comment

Originally posted by MikeM View Post
              Fry will grow at dramatically different rates. So, the two sizes doesn't mean there were two spawnings. But, could have been. Koi and goldfish can hybridize, too. It doesn't happen regularly, but can. Have fun seeing how the mystery unfolds.
              Tammy ,Well wouldn't it be cool if there was hybridization something like these

Comment

Well here is a good article on Koi and Comet Hybridization

http://www.koi-rescue.com/koi-ponds/adopted-hybrid-koi-goldfish/

Comment

It would be fun. My father in law says that has never happened to him but he is always messing with his pond and I think he has a ton of comets and feeds them every other day. We will see. It looks like some are going to have markings so my little checkers might have spawn though he is gone.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                  Working...
                  X