haveing to move to a new pond??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• haveing to move to a new pond??

We have out grown our current pond and I need help please. I just built a new 1400 gallon pond for our 12 fish (mostly 6") plus some babys too. The concern is when do I move them and do I move there bio filter too. Or just take the bio balls out and place in the new filter. When do I know the water is ok / ready I have so many questions
    Chris

Chris, Welcome to Koibito. You have questions and so would we in order to advise you (far more detail about new pond location, filtration, fish number and size and your expectations to start). As a first cut I would say that “do things gradually”. If your old pond still supports your fish start your new pond with a few small ones. Seeding your new bio filter from previous media is probably useful. It can take a while for a new pond to “mature” so you will want to monitor your water parameters like ammonia and nitrite to see where you are in the cycle. If you are anywhere near a koi club or show: go and see. Rob

Comment

Thanks the old pond is to small and only 20" deep and we have spotted Racoons. I would like to be able to move the fish as soon as possible, or start with the bigest ones first if I can I just dont want to put them in water if its not safe because it is new (1 week old)
      Chris

Comment

The “safety” of your new water depends upon a number of things. 1. Neutralize the chlorine if using treated water. 2. If the pond is concrete then you will need to neutralize the excess alkalinity (if it is a liner then that is not an issue). 3. The water temperatures of the old and new ponds should be similar (or you can let the fish acclimate in a floating bag). 4. Aeration is an issue, but since the fish are moving to a larger volume that may not be a major issue right away. 5. Since your filters will need some time to mature you will have to treat for ammonia and nitrite possibly for several months. Otherwise you can put the fish over in the larger pond at any time. Raccoons are a problem, but they have to put their feet on something to get fish (they don’t swim after them like an otter). So the key is to have a pond with sheer walls (probably 2 feet deep or more).

Comment

Ok thanks we have 26" walls at the shallow end and all side down to 48" at the deep. Should I transfer the bioballs from the old filter to the new to help the water mature? I will test temp before doing any transferring. Thank you
          Chris

Comment

Yes transferring some of the media to the new filter shouldbe useful. I would move only a coupleof fish at first to see how they react. If they settle in then add the others. 1400 gallons can only accommodate a few koi(they get big pretty quick), so keep your numbers down. Good luck, post a picture of your pond.

Comment

Moved 2 of the fish and they are swimming around like its grand. PH is same as old pond. Will give them the night and see how they are in the morning. Thanks

Comment

All the fish are in there new home and one jumped out last night, so sad but other than tat all looks to be go. Watching chem levels daily

Comment

That sometimes happens when fish are moved. It can help to have a net cover (or even some floating styrofoam or plants) the first couple of nights.

Comment

I think all is ok now had a second one jump and I got him in time cleaned him up and he is swimming around. No jumpers last night or today ammonia level is still at .5 but has not gone up.
                    PH is holding at a strong 7.6 or on the hi scale test it reads 7.4 so not sure were we are

Comment

Get one of the ammonia neutralizers, such as Amquel. Do not feed for a few days. Even though mature media is used in a new pond, it is just a small part of the total community of beneficial bacteria that were in the old pond. You will still go through 'new pond syndrome'. Hopefully it will not take as long as it would without use of mature media. Still, for the next few weeks there will be a lot of adjusting going on. Water turning green yet?

Comment

Just tested and PH has come down to a good 7.4 that is normal for here and fish are becoming more active

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                        Working...
                        X