What makes for a good Chargoi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes for a good Chargoi

Interesting thread posted by Shiari on the Soragoi, so I thought in light of that discussion we might continue with what characteristics make for a good Chargoi. Pictures would be great.

Do you mean Chagoi. My brother has one that is the friendliest in his pond. I do have a small one right now with ginrin scales I don't have a picture of it. I just about lost it last fall when removing them from the pond and couldn't find it. It was caught under a big piece of ice and floated upside down for a few hours I kept righting it and in a couple of days it was back to normal. The ice came is so fast last fall. The days are short and that is a weekend project excuses excuses. It is -45C here today if you can imagine that but all the koi are fine indoors and eating well.
    The perfect koi is always one purchase or spawning away!

Comment

Sanke56 - glad your chagoi is ok. Boy you're really having some extreme weather up there right now. Keep warm! Thanks for the post - thought I would have the dubious distinction of having the only thread on Koi-Bito without a response. Maybe it was the typo - no such thing as a chargoi - huh - gotta be the reason ( at least I'll think that for now). Okay here goes again with some specific questions. On CHAGOI what is the perferred body color if any. All all colors equal and it's just personal preference? Is a dark brownish chagoi with pectorals that have a blue tint on the edge of the fin itself, a better example than one without the tinted edge?. At one of the shows a few years ago, I overhead a Japanese judge (after judging had taken place) indicating to an individual, that this was desirable on a paricular chagoi they were looking at.

Comment

My understanding of chagaoi is they are usually brownish yellow or even brown very boring in appearance but very friendly and large was the 54 inch one at the all Japan a year or so ago a chagoi SMG would know I am sure. My expertise if I have any is spawning and raising koi. I am trying to get some decent bloodlines going but I don't have deep pockets. My bloodline are mostly from Sakai but I don't think I have any of his latest developments but the gin rin chagoi is from his ponds as well. She should make a nice fish if she survives the rigors of this climate. I will take a nice picture of her as soon as I can.

Comment

I remember seeing a picture of her. She was huge and fat, those fat little cheeks obviously sucking in a lot of paste food.

There are brown chagois, greenish brown chagois, yellowish brown chagois. OK, are there YELLOW chagois?

Comment

Time for me to join in.
            This is a mix bowl of my Chagoi babies from year before last. They're a mixed bag, because male parents were a chagoi and a kohaku to the female chagoi. Aim was chagoi, sorigoi and ochiba. I got the planned outcome, but i was not happy with the ochiba colour.
            This photo shows the mix of colour that can come from one spawning.

This is the range of colour from lightest to darkest. If you are looking for scale reticulation, don't pick one that is too light.

Maurice.
            http://www.koi-uk.co.uk

Comment

Maurice - thanks for the photos. Good tip on scale reticulation - never looked at it that way but you're right - not much or lack of that on a lighter chagoi. Here's a 24 incher on the lighter side of the color range for this variety.

Comment

I love it when someone is trying to have a serious conversation about koi, posts a picture of a fish and here this website posts the cutsiepie, silly, sentimental name of the fish if it is the file name. This is very enjoyable.

Comment

Yeah those file names come up whenever I post a photo. This was a chagoi at a dealer's (a friend) who my wife inappropriately named Sugar. Should have called it Nuisance. Over a period of a couple days last spring as I was trying to get her to hand feed, I created a very spoiled koi pest. At the sight of someone she would come to the surface and beg. If ignored she would follow you to what ever position you placed yourself adjacent to the holding pond she was in. If you were turned from her and looking into another pond, you could feel her beady eyes on your back. This happened in two short days. Goes to show ya - they are one friendly fish. :smt003

Comment

scales

So chagoi should have definite scale reticulation. Like the one on the right?
                    What other aspects other than conformation are important gin rin scales OK. Mine has those she has quite nice confromation and color wise I will have to check for reticulation

Comment

I had a gin lin Chagoi I bought from a fellow club member at a show he sold because she didn't win. She was like that Sugar fish also. It was instant love. She grew fairly large fairly quickly she was such an eatist. I taught her to ring a bell. I rubbed my fingers in wet food and rubbed them on a knot on a string tied to the clapper of the bell and dangled this in the water. She can over, smelled the food grabbed the knot and, finding it inedible, shook her head in disgust. This rang the bell. I immediately gave her food. This was repeated one time, she rang the bell by accident and got food. She then swam to the center of the pond, whirled around, facing the bell, fins spread. After a moment, she folded her fins back, swam straight to the bell like an arrow, seized the string, and rose her head out of the water, and, lashing from side to side, rang the bell loudly. Within two weeks she had taught 2/3s of the pond to ring the bell. The next year I took my show fish to our show and after the judging she and her cohorts entertained the crowd by ringing the bell.

Comment

Great story - a real bell ringer! It never ceases to amaze me how smart this fish are, each with a different personality and their own way of amusing their keeper. Thanks for sharing that interesting bit of your koi's history. By the way did you name her Belle? :smt021

Comment

my goodness! what a novel idea, teaching the koi to ring a bell for food. if mine learned to do that, i think my >70cm soragoi (barely tosai, btw!) would be on 24 hour bell watch, and i would not get any moment's peace in the home what with the constant ringing.

Comment

In my view the chagoi I posted on the right is too dark. Spose it's a personal thing.
                            Many people lookout for a light coloured one, but most of these do not have defined scale reticulation. Somewhere in between suits me best.
                            I expect most of you have seen this photo, it's one of my babies and to me has everything a chagoi should have.

Maurice.

Comment

Reading SMG's comments on names of koi I thought of our male chagoi.
                              We have had it for a number of years. I think it was back in 1999 we visited Infiltration looking for a number of male koi as I was planning on starting breeding. There was one chagoi there at the time and it looked male, so we bowled it up to inspect. Around 17"/18" it had the build of a male, but no milt, but on closer inspection had a mouth deformity, so Waddy said it was ours if we wanted it.
                              Lynn my wife soon fell in love with this koi when it was in our pond, it's one of the family and will never leave us. Lynn named it Zoe after a character in one of our British soaps, as she tends to swing the other way and our chagoi could not seem to make it's mind up which way it was going to swing.
                              Now it's not the biggest chagoi around as it's hard to shovel food into a smaller than normal mouth, but it's up to 25" and this last summer had milt for the first time in it's life.
                              Fingers crossed it'll be a daddy come spring as it's going into the breeding program.

Right click on the image and look at the properties and you will see the saved file as zoe!!
                              Maurice.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X