Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCA
    replied
    These days we seem to be down to one good paper koi magazine....Koi Carp. How I miss the good old days of Nishikigoi International and Koi-Bito. I know, I am showing my age.

Leave a comment:

• Appliance Guy
    replied
    At the end of the day, it's about sharing of information. We used to share information via books, magazines, periodicals and such. I dare think of how many people own a library card. Many newspapers are defunct and the others on their way. I find it great that information is shared so rapidly without use of paper or ink. I can spend as much time or as little time as I want. Lord knows, on forums, there is always something new.

I have only a few FB pages I look at regularly. I kinda wait and usually a forum will post something that 'just can't be missed'.

Hail to the internet!

Leave a comment:

• yerrag
    replied
    Originally posted by ricshaw View Post
    Well, you certainly covered ALL the negatives of Facebook. But missed the positives. The fact remains that Facebook is the number one source for up-to-date (in Japan) Koi related information. Note to those not familiar with Facebook, you will need to be "friends" with several dealers/breeders to see the Facebook advantage.
    Sorry to be negative, it's a rather steep price to pay, for me at least, to be updated with koi-related information. I can live with stale news on koi then 😆

Leave a comment:

• ricshaw
    replied
    Originally posted by yerrag View Post
    I joined FB long ago, and invited many friends. I caused a very good friend to be an FB addict. Now whenever we're in a coffee shop, I find myself glancing at his tablet, or his phone. I'd rather be feeding my koi or cleaning my filter in these times. I don't miss the regular FB updates on everything and everyone. I don't need to be greeting everyone everyday on their birthday. And I don't need to know what my friends are thinking right now, nor what they had for dinner last night. I can meet my friends on dinners, get their text messages, Vibers, and on reunions reacquaint with family and classmates. And yes, there's still email. I uninstalled FB long ago from my cellphone and tablet. Its a resource hog and an attention hog.

If I am FB all the time, I will not get anything done and many other things will be neglected. My koi may suffer as well. I'm thankful I can choose to ignore FB messages on my email. I haven't removed myself from FB, I may still need it someday. I like forums like these. I think they're the 'social' I like. A lot of ideas. A lot to learn from each other's ideas. The search function though, I wish it could be improved as it hasn't kept with the times, given how spoiled we are with Google.

FB is a popularity contest most of all. But it connects only with those who like to be that connected, and doesn't reach a large subset of people who are involved in creative things in the real world, and find recognition and satisfaction in other ways.
    Well, you certainly covered ALL the negatives of Facebook. But missed the positives. The fact remains that Facebook is the number one source for up-to-date (in Japan) Koi related information. Note to those not familiar with Facebook, you will need to be "friends" with several dealers/breeders to see the Facebook advantage.

Leave a comment:

• yerrag
    replied
    I joined FB long ago, and invited many friends. I caused a very good friend to be an FB addict. Now whenever we're in a coffee shop, I find myself glancing at his tablet, or his phone. I'd rather be feeding my koi or cleaning my filter in these times. I don't miss the regular FB updates on everything and everyone. I don't need to be greeting everyone everyday on their birthday. And I don't need to know what my friends are thinking right now, nor what they had for dinner last night. I can meet my friends on dinners, get their text messages, Vibers, and on reunions reacquaint with family and classmates. And yes, there's still email. I uninstalled FB long ago from my cellphone and tablet. Its a resource hog and an attention hog.

If I am FB all the time, I will not get anything done and many other things will be neglected. My koi may suffer as well. I'm thankful I can choose to ignore FB messages on my email. I haven't removed myself from FB, I may still need it someday. I like forums like these. I think they're the 'social' I like. A lot of ideas. A lot to learn from each other's ideas. The search function though, I wish it could be improved as it hasn't kept with the times, given how spoiled we are with Google.

FB is a popularity contest most of all. But it connects only with those who like to be that connected, and doesn't reach a large subset of people who are involved in creative things in the real world, and find recognition and satisfaction in other ways.

Leave a comment:

• ricshaw
    replied
    I find that Facebook has partially (major) replace Koi forums, Yahoo Groups, and even YouTube (for videos).

If you are not active on Facebook, you might be missing a whole bunch of Koi related information.

Leave a comment:

• MikeM
    started a topic The Facebook Effect

The Facebook Effect

It has been particularly interesting to follow this year's harvest season in Japan. There have been wonderful koi to see, of course. There always are. What has been different is the reliance on Facebook by so many dealers. It is not new for dealers to do FB postings from Japan, but this year many relied on FB to sell direct from Japan and have not even bothered to use their own websites until after returning from Japan. It is a great move for the dealers who have extensive FB followings. They can post pretty photos and short videos, rave about the quality and get a sale. One dealer I know tells me he sold more koi in dollar volume based on FB postings in a two week period than he usually sells in 3 months after importing. The great thing for a dealer is that they do not invest capital in the fish until it is sold. Every dealer has had the experience of purchasing a higher priced koi in October only to find it is still in inventory in June for no rational reason. It just didn't get seen by the right customer on the right day. It's hard on the dealer's bottom line when the koi has to be discounted to recover the investment.

In past years, I've followed the activities through postings on 6-8 dealer websites. This year, except for one dealer's thread on another board, it was virtually all in FB postings. I'm curious whether the dealers selling from Japan via FB end up acquiring as many higher priced koi to sell from their shops. I can understand if they limit their financial risk by stocking fewer, particularly if their high-end regulars purchase based on FB photos. The walk-in trade is more likely to purchase more moderately priced koi.

I think we are also seeing the FB effect in the level of activity on koi boards. A lot of the folks who posted in forum discussions in the past are now following friends on FB, including their koi comrades. The more purely social type of thread has declined. It is faster and easier on FB if all you want to do is tell the world how well your Matsukawabake has grown. And, your FB friends are not going to rain on your parade by telling you how much better you could have done, if only you had [ fill in blank]. You are sure to get a lot of 'likes' and congratulations no matter what somebody actually thinks. When koi forums began becoming popular at the turn of the 21st century, the social aspect of communicating with others who shared this rather esoteric interest in koi was one of the driving forces. And, there was nothing like an argument and controversy to build viewership. Now, forums are less effective for socializing. Gaining knowledge was another driver back then. Now, basic koikeeping information is readily available on the internet without having to show your ignorance by posting questions asking what a bottom drain is, or how to seal seams in a liner. Search engines may well lead you to a discussion on a board without even having to go to a board to use the search function.

When Mark Gardener reactivated his blog, he posted about FB:

"Four or five years ago when 'Facebook fever' was taking off I remember saying to people, 'Why do I need Facebook, I have my own blog'. Unfortunately I have got hooked into Facebook, perhaps to the detriment of my own sites. Facebook made it so simple to upload a few pictures with captions, I could do it driving around, 'live', 'on the fly', sadly what it wasn't was real content though. And, whilst published to Facebook what has become apparent of late is that there is no real archive of content, it has no structure, it's a complete jumble of mishmash and too much of it is junk! With the relaunch of Home page | Niigata-Nishikigoi.com one of the things that I've built in is a far easier way to publish content 'on the road', simple uploading of images to the site directly from phone, tablet, computer or whichever device I'm using. Of course Facebook is important in the whole scheme of things, it's great for telling people that there is new content here on Niigata-Nishikigoi.com, that's apparent from the stats since the re-launch."

What Mark observed holds true for koi boards. Folks come to K-B and other boards looking for information. There is subject matter organization and the archive of threads is a real strength. ...Then, having learned what they wanted, they can go to FB to tell their 'friends' when they build that DIY shower filter they read about. They'll get 30 'likes' ...and see the latest photos of people eating some place. (It seems to me that koikeepers post an abnormally high number of photos of plates of food and ice cream cones on FB.)

I am not active on FB and never post anything on my page. But, it is the place to go for the latest happenings of the breeders and dealers in which I am interested.

It's all good... although sometimes in a weird sort of way.
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
Working...
X