Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about spawning this season

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31

    Originally posted by Akai-San View Post
    What do you use for dragon fly deterant? I remember seeing the critters in the pool last year when I left the water unsupervised for a couple months. Not sure how to place a net over the pond as I will most likely be running a shower set-up in the center of the pool that will run during sun light hours. I'm thinking that I really want to get some kind of filtration and don't want the fry in totally stagnant water in the pool. Any words about my crazy thoughts?
    You worry too much. .... net the pond after you install the base and before you install all of the trays of media.

    Comment

    • #32

      I do worry a lot. I always want everything to go smoothly, even though I know there is always stuff that go wrong or not exactly as planned. Got to put my best foot forward and then learn from there.

      Question: How fast should fry grow? What is the ideal size expected at 4 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks? (I guess it would depend on the food supply). Auto-feeders!

      Comment

      • #33

        Originally posted by Akai-San View Post
        I do worry a lot. I always want everything to go smoothly, even though I know there is always stuff that go wrong or not exactly as planned. Got to put my best foot forward and then learn from there.

        Question: How fast should fry grow? What is the ideal size expected at 4 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks? (I guess it would depend on the food supply). Auto-feeders!
        I did a lot of research and visited koi farms then decided to breed with great results. Then I spent a week at Momotaro and found out that it was the biggest waste of time that I had ever done. As because of my passion I devoted far too much time. The best quality I could ever achieve would be the quality of their culls.
        So the best you will do is have a little fun and give away what you breed.
        Regards
        Eugene

        Comment

        • #34

          Originally posted by Eugeneg View Post
          I did a lot of research and visited koi farms then decided to breed with great results. Then I spent a week at Momotaro and found out that it was the biggest waste of time that I had ever done. As because of my passion I devoted far too much time. The best quality I could ever achieve would be the quality of their culls.
          So the best you will do is have a little fun and give away what you breed.
          Regards
          Eugene
          I really have no expectations of getting quality koi. I just would like to experience spawning, culling and watching how fast the fry grow. My experience so far has been growing out 8" tosai to 30" koi. I don't have any experience with koi fry. It is amazing to me that the fry (like guppy fry) will grow as big as they are. Definitely will need to find homes for whatever I end up keeping for a little while. I promise to cull hard as I don't have large facilities for grow outs.

          Comment

          • #35

            What age males should be used when spawning? I have a range of Showa males to select from. Dainichi tateshita from 2.5 years old to 4 years old. Isa male at 5+ years and my old Kanezo male at 6+ years. None of them have ever spawned as I keep the males and females separated all the time.


            I'd like to try a spawn my big girl (30") offspring of Kokugyo (my avatar photo). I'm scared to handle her, she's a lot to handle for me. Went on Youtube to look for setups. Would a 8ft show tank be big enough for her spawning? I have a couple 6ft show tanks to use as well. I watched Bram's videos at Dainichi spawning pairs. Awesome!

            I still can't find the fine white mesh to that the breeders use. Can someone lead me in the right direction on how to obtain the right material to use in the spawning tank?

            Comment

            • #36

              Originally posted by Akai-San View Post
              What age males should be used when spawning? I have a range of Showa males to select from. Dainichi tateshita from 2.5 years old to 4 years old. Isa male at 5+ years and my old Kanezo male at 6+ years. None of them have ever spawned as I keep the males and females separated all the time.


              I'd like to try a spawn my big girl (30") offspring of Kokugyo (my avatar photo). I'm scared to handle her, she's a lot to handle for me. Went on Youtube to look for setups. Would a 8ft show tank be big enough for her spawning? I have a couple 6ft show tanks to use as well. I watched Bram's videos at Dainichi spawning pairs. Awesome!

              I still can't find the fine white mesh to that the breeders use. Can someone lead me in the right direction on how to obtain the right material to use in the spawning tank?
              Show tank is ok
              Used dump truck netting to covertop
              Did not use material in spawning tank other than spawning brushes
              Used my largest male which was not a good idea as fin damage should have used the youngest.
              Transferred eggs disinfected lot of air fine bubbles
              Over 100000 fry and the ones that did the best were the ones that I dumped in a farmers shallow pond.
              Regards
              Eugene

              Comment

              • #37

                You see, that is what I'm talking about. Finding a place that I can keep thousands of fry fed will be my concern in the beginning. Of course bigger the better, but how much space or volume/gallons is needed to grow one spawning worth of fry(on average)? Will the fry turn the green water clear after eating all the micro-Rotifers


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                Comment

                • #38

                  Be a pathfinder and just DO IT!

                  Garfield

                  Comment

                  • #39

                    [QUOTE=Akai-San;220162]You see, that is what I'm talking about. Finding a place that I can keep thousands of fry fed will be my concern in the beginning. Of course bigger the better, but how much space or volume/gallons is needed to grow one spawning worth of fry(on average)? Will the fry turn the green water clear after eating all the micro-Rotifers

                    You would require a 20 x 40 x one meter fry pond. I would suggest that you you start with your smallest female or find a breeder where you can breed such a fine and large fish.
                    Regards
                    Eugene

                    Comment

                    • #40

                      [QUOTE=Eugeneg;220164]
                      Originally posted by Akai-San View Post
                      You see, that is what I'm talking about. Finding a place that I can keep thousands of fry fed will be my concern in the beginning. Of course bigger the better, but how much space or volume/gallons is needed to grow one spawning worth of fry(on average)? Will the fry turn the green water clear after eating all the micro-Rotifers

                      You would require a 20 x 40 x one meter fry pond. I would suggest that you you start with your smallest female or find a breeder where you can breed such a fine and large fish.
                      Regards
                      Eugene
                      Or, accept the fact that you are doing it just for fun and will not get anything you could not buy really cheap (and for much less than the expense of the project). Then, just scoop out a small net full of fry to raise in the largest space you can make available (already green). Toss out the bulk of the hatchlings and cull rigorously. You will end up with maybe a dozen tosai to re-home (and keep a favorite for yourself ). Affordable, fun and the end results very likely not materially different.

                      Comment

                      • #41

                        I ultimately am doing this for fun in learning. Thank You. Keeping just enough fry to give me a chance to learn is something I never would have thought about doing. I always thought to keep all the fry that hatch (I hope they hatch?)

                        Thanks again Mike. I'm off for more supplies and prep work.


                        Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

                        Comment

                        • #42

                          Has it been a year already! Here I am again, thinking about my first time spawn or two this year, but as usual my schedule is not looking good (free time wise). Too many projects and commitments in 2017. I know everyone is busy and doesn't have time and still manages to do it and have fun. It still makes me think twice because I don't want to do it half-way. A couple daylight hours on Sat and Sunday for the week, doesn't seem like success to me. Daylight hours on weekdays are impossible, but it doesn't make my urge go away.

                          After last year, I purchased and built everything in place ready for the hundred thousand fry I was expecting, BUT I didn't pull the trigger and go through with the spawnings as I felt that August was too late in the season and short of time to give me a good learning experience. I'm guttless.....

                          I feel even more ready this year as I have everything in place and ready to go. Our old pool is ready again and spread out the liner for the grow-out pond 10'x20'x2' deep (no water/no green water). Pulled out my portable solar powered trickle towers and solar lights. Tested and operated just fine. I haven't rolled out the bird nets yet. So....the water and the net might be the point of no return. I guess I am scared to go through everything and not have time to care for, cull, and have fun with the fry (once they arrive, hopefully). We'll see if another year goes bye bye...

                          Comment

                          • #43

                            If you're not really ready, better to hold off. I had enough issues to deal with just having 50 fry. It was a very good experience though, because I can appreciate how much is involved in caring for fry. Seeing nice ones develop and understanding why culling needs to take place (in the sense of the sooner the better - it's hard to cull a really large, friendly but unattractive koi). When it came time to let the beautiful ones go, whether by giving them away or selling them, you always wish they could find a good koi keeper to take care of them, instead of one who will neglect them in so many ways imaginable.

                            Comment

                            • #44

                              Hi Akai-San,

                              Sounds like you have everything ready. Where are the fry? :-) I am tempted to put a pair of sanke together but don't feel I am quiet ready to care for the fry yet. :-( Maybe another month...we will see...

                              Sunny

                              Comment

                              • #45

                                Yeah, I still haven't pulled the trigger yet. No pairings, no fry. My business is requiring more and more of my attention, leaving less and less time for fun stuff. I'm content right now with caring and maintaining my growouts. Space will definitely be a problem if I pull the trigger.

                                Would be interested in your feeding regiment for the fry you keep. I'm in the same boat. I'm sure I can get a spawn going with some success, it is the caring for the fry (feeding more than twice a day) that I cannot do. I could probably cull during my night time hours (I stay up late at night). Like I said before....no gutts. Haha.

                                Comment

                                All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                                Working...
                                X