Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Feed OR not To Feed?

Hi there;
    the same old question to which brand is good to feed. the available foods In Iran are these foods how ever they may be found some other brands too but the most shops are selling these foods.

Attached Files

I have had experience with the Tetra sticks and AZOO brands and did not like them.

Comment

Originally posted by ricshaw View Post
      I have had experience with the Tetra sticks and AZOO brands and did not like them.
      Dear Richard;
      Thank you for your reply, Actually I feed my Kois with the same food the breeder feed.They buy this food from a Iranian fish food manufacturing. they produce foods for and Carp and Salmon farming. but after 2 weeks I think fishes are going to be fattened there is no growth in length. I believe that "healthy Koi is hungry koi". and they are almost hungry in all time even after feeding. I am not feeding more but they grow in width.

Thank You

Comment

The Tetra pond food uses good ingredients and has very reliable production processes. But, in my opinion, is very expensive. The food is inflated with air, making it one of the most costly foods per pound, but it seems cheap for the volume.

Azoo is a leading brand out of Taiwan. I consider it a reasonable choice in the mid-range priced foods. I used it over 10 years ago, but preferred other brands.

I am not familiar with the two foods that appear to be produced in China. I do not have much confidence in feeds produced in China to be what they are supposed to be. There have been too many instances of mis-labeling and adulteration of foods intended for human consumption, and harm to dogs from melamine contaminated dog food, for me to trust Chinese food products of any type. I understand the Chinese government has made efforts to better regulate the producers. If a few more years go by without another horror, my opinion may change. But, for now, I would not use them even if they were free.

The locally produced food may be high in carbohydrate and low in protein. This is often true of foods used for producing food fish in large outdoor ponds. These foods can give acceptable results in that situation because insects and other aquatic life supplements the pellet diet. And, the goal is poundage, not body form.

Given your available choices, I would try the Azoo brand.

Comment

Only my koi will eat Azoo. The turtle turns up its nose. My cat won't even consider it even when starving. It is filled with red coloring so humans can be tricked, like I was, into thinking it helps with coloration. It only enhances the color of - Poop! Same color in, same out.

You will be fined for dropping it in Singapore. Chewing gum!

Comment

Originally posted by Reza View Post
            but after 2 weeks I think fishes are going to be fattened there is no growth in length.
            How old are these fish that you are expecting to see growth after 2 weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by yerrag View Post
              Only my koi will eat Azoo. The turtle turns its nose. My cat won't even consider it even when hungry. It is filled with red coloring so humans can be tricked, like I was, into thinking it helps with coloration. It only enhances the color of - Poop! Same color in, same out.

This may be banned in Singapore for its chewing gum feel!
              That is what the AZOO I bought looked like. Very red and I saw some floating red poop.

Comment

How old are these fish that you are expecting to see growth after 2 weeks?

Dear Richard;
                thanks for your reply, they will finish their first year these days. One of them is several months older. they fasted in 4 Centigrade near 8 weeks after that i add a heater and kept in 8 ~11 Centigrade and start to feeding them.

Comment

That is what the AZOO I bought looked like. Very red and I saw some floating red poop.
                  My asagi would gulp a load of the floating pellets, and then blaahhh- retch it all out. But she will eat it just the same. It would be her way of telling me "Never buy this again, please, oh please, I beg of thee."

Comment

Only my koi will eat Azoo. The turtle turns up its nose. My cat won't even consider it even when starving. It is filled with red coloring so humans can be tricked, like I was, into thinking it helps with coloration. It only enhances the color of - Poop! Same color in, same out.

You will be fined for dropping it in Singapore. Chewing gum!
                    Dear Yerrag;
                    In Iran Azoo is the most available and easily find food. the other foods are also some expensive but Azoo has 2 packages "growth plus" and "color enhancer". I personally think when feeding color food to fish it start to develop unexpected colors on the scales and the body of the fish.

Ingredients of Azoo is
                    Wheat Germ, Krill, Yeast Powder, Shrimp Powder, White Fish Powder, Soy Bean Powder, PSB, Enzyme, Spirulina Extract, Glucan, Multivitamins and Minerals

may be the reddish of food and Poop is because of krill. Of course if the ingredients is true and the Food contain krill.

Comment

Originally posted by Reza View Post
                      Dear Yerrag;
                      In Iran Azoo is the most available and easily find food. the other foods are also some expensive but Azoo has 2 packages "growth plus" and "color enhancer". I personally think when feeding color food to fish it start to develop unexpected colors on the scales and the body of the fish.

Ingredients of Azoo is
                      Wheat Germ, Krill, Yeast Powder, Shrimp Powder, White Fish Powder, Soy Bean Powder, PSB, Enzyme, Spirulina Extract, Glucan, Multivitamins and Minerals

may be the reddish of food and Poop is because of krill. Of course if the ingredients is true and the Food contain krill.
                      Hi Reza, the ingredients are like that of Azoo sold in Manila. And price-wise, it is very competitive, and is priced much much lower than the popular imported brands here - Koi King, and Aquamaster. I was glad to see it sold, and the fact that it is made in Taiwan, and not China, seemed a big plus to me.

I also thought that the coloring must be from having krill as a main ingredient. But I could not understand why koi, cat, and turtle are all unanimous in their negativity. And I would see plenty of red koi waste settling at the filter sump. Why would the red color stay with the poop? Everything else turns brown, what is with this koi food? It has no smell, but it still smells funny to me in this sort of way. I now highly doubt krill is a main ingredient. I'm staying away. It smells fishy hmmm...

I would use this only if you supplement it with something else. I buy small fish at the market and my koi eats them. The more oil in the fish, the more koi will love them. I also buy dried krill and feed it to them. I also feed them coconut meat and avocado when in season and prices are low. I don't know the prices in Iran. It may or may not be practical cost-wise. This is something I know I can't do in the US, but I can do this in Manila.

Comment

Hi Reza, the ingredients are like that of Azoo sold in Manila. And price-wise, it is very competitive, and is priced much much lower than the popular imported brands here - Koi King, and Aquamaster.
                        I recently got some Aqua Master Growth (40% protein) to try out. What do the Manila Koi hobbyists think of Aqua Master?

Comment

I recently got some Aqua Master Growth (40% protein) to try out. What do the Manila Koi hobbyists think of Aqua Master?
                          My impression of its new formula (beginning last year) is based on just on 2 10kg bags of usage. I haven't had long-term usage to base on. It is now made in Shenzen, China, instead of Taiwan.

Compared to Koi King, it has a tendency to make the water more cloudy as it would disintegrate more readily. It isn't formulated in a way that when wetted, would turn gel-like and rubbery, which is how Koi King would behave. This is the reason the water is more turbid after feeding, when Aquamaster is used. That said, it isn't quite a deal breaker for me as long as the water circulation in my pond is optimal. By that, I mean that koi waste and suspended particles quickly settle to the bottom drain, instead of being regurgitated by conflicting currents from the TPR and the diffuser, and what not.

To me, it is one thing to make koi food so that water is clear, and another thing to make koi food so that it doesn't interfere with koi digestion. The appearance of cleanliness and water clarity could very well cloud the way a koi food is evaluated. There is an instant positive evaluation where water clarity is being judged, and this often becomes associated with food quality. And this so often becomes the case with ponds where water circulation is a jumbled mess. And my personal feeling is that most ponds are made that way, and stay that way.

However, this is not to say that Koi King is poor quality. It certainly does a better job with water clarity. I just don't feel comfortable with the way Koi King is formulated. It becomes rubbery when wet, and I just have no idea what substance is added. It is their trade secret I suppose, but being left in the dark on this doesn't sit well with me. With Azoo, the rubberiness is even worse. What goes on in the koi's gut isn't too difficult for me to imagine. There is a good reason why we don't eat bubble gum or chewing gum.

Aquamaster doesn't have this rubbery feel when wet, but neither does it disintegrate so quickly like the local Philippine brands such as Sante and Yuri. The binder it uses isn't as cheap or the machinery and process used in manufacture is better designed and run. To me, it strikes a good balance between conflicting goals.

I know for sure there is plenty of koi waste with Azoo. I really haven't recalled Koi King's waste being significantly more than Aquamaster's, but it was probably not so striking for me to notice. I have complained about Aquamaster before, especially after it reformulated and changed origin from Taiwan to China. But having tested competing products mentioned above, I feel I would rather take my chances with it than the rest.

Note that I have used the old growth formula of Aquamaster for two years and my koi has developed well. However, I was careful to tell Samuel, its Philippine distributor, that I also feed coconut, avocado, fresh fish, dried krill, and also use my own koi food enzyme, so I really can't attribute my good experience all to Aquamaster.

Comment

Hi Reza, the ingredients are like that of Azoo sold in Manila. And price-wise, it is very competitive, and is priced much much lower than the popular imported brands here - Koi King, and Aquamaster. I was glad to see it sold, and the fact that it is made in Taiwan, and not China, seemed a big plus to me.

I also thought that the coloring must be from having krill as a main ingredient. But I could not understand why koi, cat, and turtle are all unanimous in their negativity. And I would see plenty of red koi waste settling at the filter sump. Why would the red color stay with the poop? Everything else turns brown, what is with this koi food? It has no smell, but it still smells funny to me in this sort of way. I now highly doubt krill is a main ingredient. I'm staying away. It smells fishy hmmm...

I would use this only if you supplement it with something else. I buy small fish at the market and my koi eats them. The more oil in the fish, the more koi will love them. I also buy dried krill and feed it to them. I also feed them coconut meat and avocado when in season and prices are low. I don't know the prices in Iran. It may or may not be practical cost-wise. This is something I know I can't do in the US, but I can do this in Manila.
                            Aazoo is also made in Taiwan, this is what has written on the package. I personally never ever feed Chinese made food for any kind of pets. The price of 1 or 2 avocado is as same as 1.0kg Azoo package(7.81$). Today I found some JBL koi foods two times expensive then Azoo. I used color enhancer foods but the wastes was red and developed red spots on head and scales on white body based fishes. i also feed several days dried lettuce leafs , Poops become complete green.some times they eat string algae on that time their Poop is also Green.

Comment

My impression of its new formula (beginning last year) is based on just on 2 10kg bags of usage. I haven't had long-term usage to base on. It is now made in Shenzen, China, instead of Taiwan.

With Azoo, the rubberiness is even worse. What goes on in the koi's gut isn't too difficult for me to imagine. There is a good reason why we don't eat bubble gum or chewing gum.
                              It is may be interesting that Azoo has claim : "AZOO GROWTH PLUSKOI FOOD also includes ingredients that effectively decompose digestedsubstances in the body, which reduces fish waste and water pollution"

also:

NOTES:
                              The display color of the item and its packaging could differ from the
                              actual product due to users' monitors settings.

Comment

All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com
                              Working...
                              X